Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LG Motorsports G7X5 and ported heads - 600 HP?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:32 PM
jkittleson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LG Motorsports G7X5 and ported heads - 600 HP?

Well gentleman.

The LS2 was pulled out last Friday using the jackstand method of motor removal. Block, Callies rods and bearings, etc are here. Waiting on Callies DragonSlayer crank, and coated Wiseco pistons to arrive.

After a month of head and cam research, with no sleep and a little drooling, I called Bobby at LG Motorsports and ordered a set of LG's ported heads and G7X5 camshaft.

Will it make 600 to the wheels? No under-drive, no electric waterpump. But I do have LG headers.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:06 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jkittleson
Well gentleman.

The LS2 was pulled out last Friday using the jackstand method of motor removal. Block, Callies rods and bearings, etc are here. Waiting on Callies DragonSlayer crank, and coated Wiseco pistons to arrive.

After a month of head and cam research, with no sleep and a little drooling, I called Bobby at LG Motorsports and ordered a set of LG's ported heads and G7X5 camshaft.

Will it make 600 to the wheels? No under-drive, no electric waterpump. But I do have LG headers.
On my dyno that cam, their hand ported LS7 heads, their LG Pro headers, stock rear mufflers, and no other mods made slightly less than 560 to the wheels on my chassis dyno. I have a Mustang 600 DE chassis dyno with dual PAUs. This was on a relatively conservative tune with a 12.0 AFR, all this on a new 2006 Z06.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:39 PM
jkittleson
Racer

Awesome. I am guessing 575 or so on a DynoJet.

How does it idle? What RPM does it start coming on strong?

Can't wait... this is going to be wild over my stock LS2.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:11 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Awesome. I am guessing 575 or so on a DynoJet.

How does it idle? What RPM does it start coming on strong?

Can't wait... this is going to be wild over my stock LS2.
The X5 is a BIG cam, its going to make the bottom end soft unless you got the cubic inches of at least 427 inches. In that Z I installed the cam into, you can feel that there was a good bit of the torquey bottom end of the stock configuration that was gone. Also it doesn't like being below 1500 RPMs, so when trying to cruise at 70 or less in 6th gear, its not going to like that. You need a competent tuner to make this combo run well.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:07 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

That cam is going to rattle your teeth.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Jeenis
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

good choice bro!! PLEASE post a sound clip of it after it's all installed and running. I believe LG has the only NA 600+hp LS7 out. I'm going with that same cam as soon as I can save up for building the motor. (I'm currently running the G7x4 with 556rwhp)
Old 08-01-2007, 12:47 PM
jkittleson
Racer

Awesome...

Sounds like this might be like driving my UMP modified with big solid roller on the street.

Hopefully the 427 CI will still be stronger than the LS2 down low, and frickin scream up top.

The wait is killing me.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:58 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Are you going to stick this cam in a stock displacement LS2? If so its way too much cam for a 6.0L engine. Its numbers are in the 24x/25x duration numbers and it will rattle your teeth. Especially in the low RPM ranges. Even in a 427 its a big cam, low end drivability will definitely suffer in the off idle to around 1700 RPM ranges depending on how competent your tuner is for part throttle tuning. I was able to "tame" it pretty well, in the low RPM ranges and the customer was ecstatic with the outcome.

Just remember that just making a 600hp PEAK number isn't the best deal. You want usable power gains under the curve where you will be using the power most. Just think about how often you are going to be at 6500+ RPM where the 600 number comes about...... There are smaller cams out there that gives more power gains under the curve where you will be driving it for most of its life, that is unless you are making a track car out of it. So unless you want bragging rights I would think about other solutions.

I am thinking about using a similar cam in my new Z but as many knows there is a rocker arm needle bearing issue with the 07 Z's and I am trying to figure that one out before making any changes for now.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:33 PM
jkittleson
Racer

Originally Posted by tjwong
Are you going to stick this cam in a stock displacement LS2? If so its way too much cam for a 6.0L engine. Its numbers are in the 24x/25x duration numbers and it will rattle your teeth. Especially in the low RPM ranges. Even in a 427 its a big cam, low end drivability will definitely suffer in the off idle to around 1700 RPM ranges depending on how competent your tuner is for part throttle tuning. I was able to "tame" it pretty well, in the low RPM ranges and the customer was ecstatic with the outcome.

Just remember that just making a 600hp PEAK number isn't the best deal. You want usable power gains under the curve where you will be using the power most. Just think about how often you are going to be at 6500+ RPM where the 600 number comes about...... There are smaller cams out there that gives more power gains under the curve where you will be driving it for most of its life, that is unless you are making a track car out of it. So unless you want bragging rights I would think about other solutions.

I am thinking about using a similar cam in my new Z but as many knows there is a rocker arm needle bearing issue with the 07 Z's and I am trying to figure that one out before making any changes for now.
No...it's going in a LS7 with forged internals.

I've been through 4 cams in my Harley with CNC ported heads, and you are right, the biggest cam that feels great on top is very lazy on bottom. I compromised on a smaller cam for the hog.

I am hoping, that even though this cam is huge, it will still feel stronger everywhere, compared to the LS2 motor that I pulled out. I know it's too big, but I would rather start large, then later if not happy, just replace the cam several sizes down. I won't know the answer until I feel it and compare on the road against something else.

Do you have a dyno chart on the car you tuned with this cam?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:05 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

No...it's going in a LS7 with forged internals.

I've been through 4 cams in my Harley with CNC ported heads, and you are right, the biggest cam that feels great on top is very lazy on bottom. I compromised on a smaller cam for the hog.

I am hoping, that even though this cam is huge, it will still feel stronger everywhere, compared to the LS2 motor that I pulled out. I know it's too big, but I would rather start large, then later if not happy, just replace the cam several sizes down. I won't know the answer until I feel it and compare on the road against something else.

Do you have a dyno chart on the car you tuned with this cam?
I do have a dyno chart on this cam but I am in Hawaii on my honeymoon right now so its going to have to wait until I get back on the 7th of August.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwong
I do have a dyno chart on this cam but I am in Hawaii on my honeymoon right now so its going to have to wait until I get back on the 7th of August.
Oh c'mon now, get your priorities straight...you'll have the rest of your life to make the her happy, I want to see that dyno chart NOW!!

Enjoy the sun!!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:47 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 407 Likes on 301 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

If your question is if it will make more power over the LS2 in stock trim, you are correct. It will make more power everywhere over the stock LS2.

As for the cam, It is not that large. It will take a good tuner to say the least, but that package has been driven daily by a few local to us and they all love it. It isnt for the faint of heart or those letting their wifes drive their car. Now, if you do let your wife drive your car, we have many cam and head options to fit those needs as well.

We are getting ready to finish up another G7x5 package here in the next week, we will be sure to get some idle and driveability clips up for everyone to see.

Thanks

Anthony
Old 08-02-2007, 11:08 PM
jkittleson
Racer

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
If your question is if it will make more power over the LS2 in stock trim, you are correct. It will make more power everywhere over the stock LS2.

As for the cam, It is not that large. It will take a good tuner to say the least, but that package has been driven daily by a few local to us and they all love it. It isnt for the faint of heart or those letting their wifes drive their car. Now, if you do let your wife drive your car, we have many cam and head options to fit those needs as well.

We are getting ready to finish up another G7x5 package here in the next week, we will be sure to get some idle and driveability clips up for everyone to see.

Thanks

Anthony
I told the wife that it wouldn't shake the car.

Can't wait to get your package in the mail and get this thing together. Sounds like this thing is going to be a BEAST.

After driving RC45's 565rwhp car last night, I know it's going to be a blast to drive.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:59 PM
SpartanSupps
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks

Anthony[/QUOTE]

Anthony, I recently had my G7x5 cam installed and dyno tuned. I would like to know what you think of the outcome.
Mods;
G7x5 kit
ported ls7 intake and throttle body
Halltech super bee
LG headers and high flow cats, stock mufflers

It put down 535rwhp and 472torque
idle was set at 1100rpm

I see more power from this cam on other applications. I am wondering why my setup did not pass 540 to the wheels?
Overall,
Car drives great and I love the pick up at 3600.
Drivability is deminished but I managed to learn it quickly.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:06 PM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SpartanSupps

Thanks

Anthony
Anthony, I recently had my G7x5 cam installed and dyno tuned. I would like to know what you think of the outcome.
Mods;
G7x5 kit
Halltech super bee

idle was set at 1100rpm

I see more power from this cam on other applications. I am wondering why my setup did not pass 540 to the wheels?
Overall,
Drivability is deminished but I managed to learn it quickly.[/QUOTE]

You shouldve got the G7XX if you wanted big power. The 7x5 has made good power also in the past.

-Curtis
Old 10-24-2014, 03:51 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 407 Likes on 301 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by SpartanSupps

Thanks

Anthony
Mods;
G7x5 kit
Halltech super bee

idle was set at 1100rpm

Overall,
Drivability is deminished but I managed to learn it quickly.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I would need a bit more info..
-What kind of dyno and correction?
-Was there a before dyno, if so what was the delta (before vs now)
-Fuel?
-Header size?

Each car is going to be a little different but say you were on a Mustang dyno and it made 410 before and 530 after...I would say the gain is pretty stout...if it was 510 and only jumped to 530 then I would say we have an issue at some point and need to look further into the combo/tune
Old 10-25-2014, 12:13 PM
silvrhand
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I told the wife that it wouldn't shake the car.

Can't wait to get your package in the mail and get this thing together. Sounds like this thing is going to be a BEAST.

After driving RC45's 565rwhp car last night, I know it's going to be a blast to drive.
uh.. if you told the wife that you sir are going to be in the dog house lol.. it's going to rattle
Old 10-25-2014, 03:05 PM
SpartanSupps
Racer

A Link to the dyno vid of my 08 Z.
I need video editing software lol
Old 10-25-2014, 03:17 PM
SpartanSupps
Racer

Honestly I would need a bit more info..
-What kind of dyno and correction?
-Was there a before dyno, if so what was the delta (before vs now)
-Fuel?
-Header size?

Each car is going to be a little different but say you were on a Mustang dyno and it made 410 before and 530 after...I would say the gain is pretty stout...if it was 510 and only jumped to 530 then I would say we have an issue at some point and need to look further into the combo/tune[/QUOTE]

headers 1 7/8"
91 octane
Car dynoed before at 451rwhp.
Not sure of the dyno type.

Thanks Anthony for your input. I am very satisfied with everything about the results and drivability! It's INCREDIBLE!
Perhaps its the stock mufflers holding the flow back..?
I was only concerned by LG's cam specs page saying 540+ for the G7x5, assuming this would have been with the cam installed ONLY's beginning numbers. When you add more mods the hp would increase.
No harm no foul, I was only 5hp short!

Ported polished heads, wilson or marcella intake and an E85 tune next on the list.

Get notified of new replies

To LG Motorsports G7X5 and ported heads - 600 HP?

Quick Reply: [Z06] LG Motorsports G7X5 and ported heads - 600 HP?