Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Are all gun nozzles born equal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 05:27 PM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Default Are all gun nozzles born equal?

Greetings - I want to purchase a mini HVLP spray gun to paint the hard-to-reach areas in my C3 interior.
The SPI epoxy primer I want to use asks for a 1.4mm nozzle.

Now, I read somewhere on the web that a 1.0mm nozzle for a mini gun is the equivalent to a 1.4mm nozzle for a regular gun.
Really? Is that correct?
Or was that guy smoking, and I should just get a mini gun with a 1.4mm tip?

Thanks all!
Old 03-30-2016, 06:35 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

i have the lph100 . it has a sidewinder cup and works great for these areas. shoots as well as my lph400 .
Old 03-31-2016, 03:08 AM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Thanks porchdog - that's quite an expensive gun. May be too much for my budget.

I'd still like to know if that guy's statement is correct or not, so I can figure out what size nozzle I need. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I know 'porchdog' knows the SPI products....and if he is not giving you the answer you need...why not contact SPI directly and ask them. They may have a trick' you can use to get by.

I can say this ...I can shoot just about anything out of my airbrush. I may have to alter the viscosity a bit...and air pressure....but I can get it to come out....and then it has to do with how I apply it and how many coats I need to apply because I am applying such a thin coat and going over the areas many times. SO...if it were me..and I have painted for a very long time...I could get the SPI product to come out of that gun you have in question....but I kinda know what to do.

I paint the 1968-1982's and I do not understand why you need a mini gun for shooting the interior....which is all covered with panels. Not that it matters on how I feel about this....but I am somewhat confused. Because taking a normal paint gun and adjusting the fan pattern to a straight stream...re-adjust your air pressure..and then 'feathering' the trigger..will allow you so shoot paint to where you want it and cover it well at the same time. I do this during paint jobs quite often to get primer, paint and clear into areas where the normal fan spray pattern does not allow the product to get into where I need it.

DUB
Old 03-31-2016, 06:48 PM
porchdog
Drifting

the spi epoxy is a 1:1 mix. that is why they call for a 1:4 . yes it can be reduced but reducing any mix changes cure times and build. a 1:3 will shoot it ok .
Old 04-01-2016, 12:00 AM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Thank you porchdog and DUB - I appreciate the help. This is the statement that led me to start this thread: "The mini guns have totally different inner parts than normal size hvlp guns. The 1.4 regular hvlp is the same as the 1.0 mini hvlp as far as tip sizes go.".
It's a generic statement and I was curious if somebody could confirm or debunk it. Not everything read on the web is accurate, right?
I did not phrase my original posting properly - I should not have mentioned the SPI epoxy - it was probably misleading. My question was actually meant to be independent of the automotive paint being used, given the person's general statement.

Anyways, my plan is to not have carpet in the car - it's kind of a racer style. So a good part of the fiberglass will be visible. I have been spending hours cramped in the rear of that car prepping it for primer: cleaning, sanding, glassing, VPA'ing, etc... I think that shooting the hard-to-reach or cramped areas will be easier with a less bulky gun.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:35 AM
porchdog
Drifting

you can get a 2 qrt pressure pot . it will work well for that. gun will shoot in any position and no cup in the way ..

Astro 2PG7S 2 Quart Pressure Pot with Gun and Hose Paint and Body Spray Guns - Plumbing Hoses - Amazon.com Astro 2PG7S 2 Quart Pressure Pot with Gun and Hose Paint and Body Spray Guns - Plumbing Hoses - Amazon.com
Old 04-01-2016, 10:54 AM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Sweet! I wasn't aware of that option. Sounds like a good fit for me...and my daughters' coming father's day
Old 04-01-2016, 02:26 PM
porchdog
Drifting

these are more work to clean . you need a cheater valve so you can shut the air off the gun so you can recycle thinner through it without air . just air in the pot .
Old 04-01-2016, 05:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by RBrid
Anyways, my plan is to not have carpet in the car - it's kind of a racer style. So a good part of the fiberglass will be visible. I have been spending hours cramped in the rear of that car prepping it for primer: cleaning, sanding, glassing, VPA'ing, etc... I think that shooting the hard-to-reach or cramped areas will be easier with a less bulky gun.
I did not know to what extent you were taking the painting of the interior. I can CLEARLY understand now due to it is being taken to a completely different level and not facotry. AND with you taking ti to that level...I can agree that using a big gun can cause for some issues in paint application.

DUB
Old 04-21-2016, 01:12 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

To answer your original question, yes, a 1.0mm air cap and needle on a SATA Mini Jet IV would be roughly equivalent to a 1.3 or 1.4 air cap and needle on a full sized gun. You are covering much less area, so you do not need as much material. I have a 1.0mm on my MJ IV, and I am very pleased with it.

I would bet that almost every Mini Jet sold has a 1.0mm air cap on it. I did see one with a 1.2mm a while back, but that was the only one I had ever actually seen.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-22-2016, 10:56 AM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Default Father's day in April?

Good info John - thanks! I'm still planning to buy a mini gun - I think it will come handy sooner or later.
In the meantime I just received an "ATD 16843 Pressure Pot Spray Gun and Hose Kit - 2 Quart". My kids picked this one because it comes with 1.2mm, 1.5mm and 1.8mm nozzles. I'm so glad they did

Here is where it'll be used first.
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2016, 11:08 AM
porchdog
Drifting

they are a great tool. i have 2 that are 30 years old. cleaning is a little bit of a pia but once you get it down it's ok . start with not enough pressure in the pot first. pull the trigger with a bunch of pressure and you have a water hose. play with it by using thinner to rinse it and get it adjusted . good luck .
Old 04-22-2016, 12:48 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

The other really valuable addition to any small touchup gun, or even a full sized gun for that matter, is switching to the PPG PPS paint cup system or a similar system made by other manufacturers.

The PPS cups allow you to shoot in any position, even completely upside down without dripping one drop of paint, and will spray until the last drop of paint is exhausted from the cup. I keep all 3 cup sizes in my shop, so I can slap a small 3 oz cup all the way up to a 28 oz cup on any of my guns, depending on the need. Cleanup is a breeze as well since you just pull the liner and throw it away! The gun itself is the only thing that needs to be cleaned.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-25-2016, 02:48 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
The other really valuable addition to any small touchup gun, or even a full sized gun for that matter, is switching to the PPG PPS paint cup system or a similar system made by other manufacturers.

The PPS cups allow you to shoot in any position, even completely upside down without dripping one drop of paint, and will spray until the last drop of paint is exhausted from the cup. I keep all 3 cup sizes in my shop, so I can slap a small 3 oz cup all the way up to a 28 oz cup on any of my guns, depending on the need. Cleanup is a breeze as well since you just pull the liner and throw it away! The gun itself is the only thing that needs to be cleaned.

Regards, John McGraw
I second that the PPS system is the bomb!!!
Old 04-26-2016, 12:34 AM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Now that I have read about it I'm thinking about buying a beginner's kit to shoot the underside of the car.
Thanks again for the tips.

Get notified of new replies

To Are all gun nozzles born equal?

Quick Reply: Are all gun nozzles born equal?