C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp Gray painted rims, need help matching

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 11:34 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Comp Gray painted rims, need help matching

i have a extra split spoke C6Z06 wheels that need to be refinished and i would like to paint them myself in COMP GRAY color

i dont have access to a paint booth or compressor so i will try to paint them with a spray can to see how it looks

is there a spray can that comes close to GM COMP GRAY color/texture? is so which brand and where do i buy some?

i am sure fellow CF members have done this, please post some pics of the finished product
Old 10-28-2016, 12:05 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

I have tried about 7 different gray colors out of the can and they don't match well at all.
Consider buying some custom mixed paint and buying the bottles with aresol charges on the cap as an option.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:39 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Duplicolor T183 in a spray can from Advance Auto. Amother code is WA9243 or GM396.
Make sure you prep the surface properly. I used the red Scotchbrite pads for sanding. Followed by water, then enamel reducer for cleaning. Then a tack cloth to remove any lint or dust from the surface. Glide the tack cloth over the surface and don't press too hard. Wait ten to twenty minutes between coats depending on room temperature. Use the clear coat after base coat once the base coat looks covered properly. When spraying the clear coat on apply until it looks wet but not too much to avoid runs. I did this for my headlights when I replaced the lenses and it turned out great.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:42 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by CadVette
Duplicolor T183 in a spray can from Advance Auto. Amother code is WA9243 or GM396.
Make sure you prep the surface properly. I used the red Scotchbrite pads for sanding. Followed by water, then enamel reducer for cleaning. Then a tack cloth to remove any lint or dust from the surface. Glide the tack cloth over the surface and don't press too hard. Wait ten to twenty minutes between coats depending on room temperature. Use the clear coat after base coat once the base coat looks covered properly. When spraying the clear coat on apply until it looks wet but not too much to avoid runs. I did this for my headlights when I replaced the lenses and it turned out great.

Correction. Use wax and grease remover for cleaning instead of enamel reducer.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:01 PM
rado63
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess you want to do this yourself, but I would ask a local wheel refurbishing shop to spray them for you. I would double check this to make sure these numbers are right, but I believe the competition grey is paint code 87 or GM code WA9243.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:15 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by CadVette
Found out today from local O'Reilly clerk that Duplicolor changed up their codes a year or so ago. GM396 is not in the current catalog. Didn't find it at autozone either. It was reported here 5 years ago that GM396 was a perfect or near perfect match for WA9243. I have a couple of unsightly rock chips on RR ZR1 wheel. I need to find a liquid brush bottle alternative.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:58 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

I found two separate posts claiming the following are perfect matches for Competition Gray wheel paint:
Duplicolor BGM0534 which is Gray Mica
Duplicolor BGM0536 which is Gunmetal Mica
They can't both be right IMHO. I guess I am going to have to find a store with both in stock and drive the ZR1 there for an actual color cap comparison.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:07 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Biggest problem with rattle cans is the spray is often to thick and the tire needs to be elevated so all the extra spray dust does not come back up through the wheel sticking all over the wet paint.

You can get a professional finish.

This below was not even color sanded or buffed/polished.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:00 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

I found this supplier online with WA9243 available in brush-on liquid bottles:

http://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up...at-WA9243.html

Get notified of new replies

To Comp Gray painted rims, need help matching

Quick Reply: Comp Gray painted rims, need help matching