C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 hood latch spring adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 03:27 AM
Scott Marshall
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 72 hood latch spring adjustment

Is there any adjustment for those springs that coil around the hood latch posts? The posts are lined up correctly and the cables have the right adjustments. Its just that i have to give quite a push down on the corner of my hood (on both sides) to get it to latch. When I pull the hood release, both sides unlatch but I have to pull quite hard on the release to get it unlatched. Its not the length of the pull because I don't have to pull it very far to get it to unlatch, but I have to pull hard and every time I do I think about that release cable breaking. When it releases it really jumps up and is loud like there is a lot of spring pressure pushing against it. I have the bumper stops adjusted all the way down so I know its not that. Just seems like the springs are causing a lot of friction for the latch mechanism to overcome.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:22 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Scott,
The springs don't really seem to be that strong.
Is there ANY chance that you have the stops with the rubber bumpers on them set a little too high and what you're feeling is the hood compressing the rubber as you push on the hood to latch it?
Or,
Is there any chance the 'probe' isn't adjusted properly which causes you to have to push hard on the hood to get the hood mounted latch to clasp under the probe?
Regards,
Alan

Or:

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-19-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:46 PM
Scott Marshall
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Scott,
The springs don't really seem to be that strong.
Is there ANY chance that you have the stops with the rubber bumpers on them set a little too high and what you're feeling is the hood compressing the rubber as you push on the hood to latch it?
Or,
Is there any chance the 'probe' isn't adjusted properly which causes you to have to push hard on the hood to get the hood mounted latch to clasp under the probe?
Regards,
Alan

Or:

Alan,
My springs appear to be compressed more than the ones you showed in the pic and i have had no luck pushing them down with my fingers as you showed. The hood height is right at even with the hood surround when latched.

Last edited by Scott Marshall; 01-19-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Scott,
From looking at your photos it appears the probe is set a bit low.
This appears to be compressing the spring quite a bit even in it's unloaded position.
Have you been working on the hood latches and hood fit recently?
Also, I notice the rubber bumpers are gone on both sides. This affects how the female side (hood) of the latch seats on the male side (cowl) latch.
Do either of these photos help? Please notice where the bottom of the tape is in each case.
Regards,
Alan

Left:

Right:
Old 01-19-2017, 01:46 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Alan is correct. The rubber bumper is a stop that holds the hood up even with the fender. It is for adjusting hood height. The spring loaded catch holds the hood down snug on the rubber bumper. If the spring loaded catch is turned down too far it will bind on the hood latch and make it very hard to release. If it is down even further it won't latch at all. You can use a big screw driver in the top of the spring loaded latch to adjust it up to where it is not hard to release but there is no slack between the rubber bumper and the catch when the hood is closed.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:05 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Scott,
I too use my hand to latch the hood on each side.
The latch is set so that as I push down on each corner I can feel the spring compress.
I can even feel the female latch set (click) under the probe….. and I can feel that there's still some spring compression left.
The release handle is very easy to pull because there's so little tension being applied to the female latch by the spring on the male latch.
I don't know how any of this might help but though it might ring a bell with you.
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-19-2017, 03:54 PM
Scott Marshall
Advanced

Thanks for the pics with the measurements. I removed the rubber bumpers and drove the screws all the way down to make sure they are not interfering with the hood coming down. My thinking was that the catch post had to be low enough to set the height on the hood to the hood surround. I could loosen them up and raise them but then i dont think the hood will lay even with the surround.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:12 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Scott,
Well that certainly answers the rubber bumper question.
I'm going to take a couple of photos showing the position of the hood relative to the surround before I begin to depress the hood to set the latches.
Perhaps that will at least give you something to compare yours to.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-19-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:28 PM
DABall
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Another related item, although not the cause of your problem, is to be sure to add a second cable to the release latch and have it run down to the side louvers. if the primary cable should break (which is a common problem on these old cars) you simply reach under the car and pull the second cable to release your hood. An ounce of prevention.....
The following 2 users liked this post by DABall:
marshal135 (01-20-2017), Scott Marshall (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 05:13 PM
Scott Marshall
Advanced

Originally Posted by DABall
Another related item, although not the cause of your problem, is to be sure to add a second cable to the release latch and have it run down to the side louvers. if the primary cable should break (which is a common problem on these old cars) you simply reach under the car and pull the second cable to release your hood. An ounce of prevention.....
Damn! That's a great idea! One of the reasons for doing this was I need to put the nut on the bottom stud on the driver side louver, but its such a pain in the a$$ to get to that i didn't want to if the cable broke (which seems likely if I have to keep pulling hard on it). I've had to reach through there open the hood. Not fun getting that nut off.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:29 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Scott,
Here're the dimensions with the hood just resting on the latch.
Regards,
Alan

Right side.

Left side.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:04 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Actually running a cable for a back-up is kinda pointless on the Corvettes that have the hood release cable that is ON the hood itself.

This is because you will always have a cable dangling in the air when you raise your hood. Unless you can live with it like that and actually take the time to route it every time you go and close your hood.

And also realize that pulling down on this cable if you install it is NOT actually moving the hood latch in the direction needed to release your hood.

This extra back-up cable works good for the later years where the hood latch design changed and the hood release cable is now OFF the hood itself and going across the firewall/plenum area.

Just so you do not go through a bunch of work and realize that it may not be what you are looking for.

DUB
Old 01-20-2017, 12:59 AM
tpfarm
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Actually running a cable for a back-up is kinda pointless on the Corvettes that have the hood release cable that is ON the hood itself.

This is because you will always have a cable dangling in the air when you raise your hood. Unless you can live with it like that and actually take the time to route it every time you go and close your hood.

And also realize that pulling down on this cable if you install it is NOT actually moving the hood latch in the direction needed to release your hood.

This extra back-up cable works good for the later years where the hood latch design changed and the hood release cable is now OFF the hood itself and going across the firewall/plenum area.

Just so you do not go through a bunch of work and realize that it may not be what you are looking for.

DUB
Been there done that, could never get them to work so did the simplest thing and replaced the cables.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:27 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi, Gm had a suggestion for 68-72 cars.
Regards,
Alan

Old 01-20-2017, 11:08 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

On my 69 it is quite easy to open. You need a roughly 24" piece of metal like a breaker bar, standard copper water pipe or anything with a little stiffness to it. Insert it through the 3rd. gill back on the side of the fender and rest it up against the inner body structure. Lay on your back with a flashlight and rest the top end up against the latch and give the bottom that is resting against the inner structure a sharp rap with the palm of your hand. It opens. If the center cable breaks I can open the right side by laying underneath with it on jack stands and reaching up and tripping the pass side latch but that's on a no air car. Otherwise there is the small plug on the right side for that.

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 01-20-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:52 AM
Ellie Bee
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hood Pop-Up Spring

Originally Posted by Scott Marshall
Is there any adjustment for those springs that coil around the hood latch posts? The posts are lined up correctly and the cables have the right adjustments. Its just that i have to give quite a push down on the corner of my hood (on both sides) to get it to latch. When I pull the hood release, both sides unlatch but I have to pull quite hard on the release to get it unlatched. Its not the length of the pull because I don't have to pull it very far to get it to unlatch, but I have to pull hard and every time I do I think about that release cable breaking. When it releases it really jumps up and is loud like there is a lot of spring pressure pushing against it. I have the bumper stops adjusted all the way down so I know its not that. Just seems like the springs are causing a lot of friction for the latch mechanism to overcome.
If all you are looking for is the hood pop up spring itself, I found them online, at "Ecklers", different options, but nothing like $300

Get notified of new replies

To 72 hood latch spring adjustment

Quick Reply: 72 hood latch spring adjustment