Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

GM encouragement for C5 aftermarket parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:48 AM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

I have a 99 and love the car, however if I had read some more about them I never would have bought it. I just can't figure out why the electronics in the Corvette has so much trouble. I've owned GM vehicles most of my life and haven't really had too much trouble with the electronics in them till I bought my Vette. I found out real quick why the PO sold the car. Wouldn't let me drive it on wet roads, after I bought it I knew why. I have it pretty much under control now, but have thought about selling it because of the parts availability. I keep thinking somebody will come up with a way to retrofit a later EBCM and steering wheel sensor, but maybe not.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:54 AM
Staxmans99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Voted and agree whole heartedly
Old 02-01-2015, 04:49 PM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Is this where I vote? 99 coupe owner here.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:51 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by ArtGle
Is this where I vote? 99 coupe owner here.
The voting is closed already.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:51 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

POLL is now closed and our question is #1.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:23 PM
terryg
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default C5 replacement parts

You would think that GM would want to continue to support the C5 parts market. If they look around they will see that other auto makers such as Porsche and Mercedes offer restoration services and repair parts for older models way beyond any 10 year requirement that may exist. There are 200,000+ C5's on the road - - sounds like an opportunity to build brand loyalty.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:29 PM
cobra3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

count me in also +1
Old 02-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This particular problem is going to be happening more and more. Older cars had very little in the way of complex electronics and most could be reengineered pretty easily. The C5 is just the first generation of cars having this issue. What happens in 20 or 30 years when C5 and C6 computers start failing due to age and 'new' replacements are no longer available from GM? The big problem isn't creating new hardware, but getting the software that they run. GM needs to start figuring out how to put the hardware and software for all the computers on our cars into the public domain or some type of royalty free license before the situation becomes critical. That or they need to document how all these interrelated systems communicate with each other so that aftermarket products can be built to replace them.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:31 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Answer is here.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:56 PM
Vette Dreemz
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I have one too, and GM's responsibility

Originally Posted by Phanni
It is my understanding that the early model EBCM's are imbedded in some type of epoxy that prevents even a knowledgable tech to fix these units. The late model EBCMs (2001 and up) can be fixed (in most cases) if they fail. Since the early EBCM's are no longer available, the only way a vehicle with a bad EBCM can be fixed is to find a unit off another early C-5 that has been salvaged.

The bottom line is, many early C-5 owners are driving their cars with no traction control ABS, because their EBCM has failed. This could be an area where the feds get involved should someone have an accident that can be traced back to failures of a unit that GM no longer builds or repairs.
Hi guys; I have a '99 with a bad EBCM and have pulled out most of my hair trying to get some resolution to the problem. I will add this comment knowing knowing that it is probably common knowledge. As to GM's responsibility even if it is traced back to them, their responsibility is for a 10 year period, period. After that, it is best man for himself. As to going through junk yards for one that still works, the main problem is the price, (approx. 1700.00), and all you get is the factory product that would probably die within one week after I bought is, so that is out. Certainly GM could put some pressure on Delphi, who was the manufacturer of choice to replicate the unit.

Quick Reply: GM encouragement for C5 aftermarket parts