LT1 engines across various models - how do they differ? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Ask Tadge > Ask Tadge
Reload this Page >

LT1 engines across various models - how do they differ?

Notices
Ask Tadge Post your questions here for Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter and then discuss the questions and his answers.

LT1 engines across various models - how do they differ?

Old 01-20-2016, 11:18 AM
Kracka
CF Senior Member

Default LT1 engines across various models - how do they differ?

I am curious about simple, but possibly interesting question. The LT1 is now used in multiple models, the Corvette and Camaro. Are the actual engines identical in design and specs as they're built before getting prepared for installation (i.e. before manifolds, etc. are bolted on)? If they do differ, what differentiates the Corvette-specific LT1 from the others? While we are on the topic of the LT1, what was the reasoning behind the decision to bring back (or recycle, depending on how you want to look at it) the LT1 and LT4 engine designations. Thank you for your time and consideration!

Last edited by Kracka; 01-25-2016 at 05:53 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kracka For This Useful Post:
CPhelps (02-23-2016), Dogfather6 (01-20-2016), FYREANT (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 11:45 AM
Dogfather6
CF Member

That actually is a fantastic question and would love to see if there are any differences! Being interested in grabbing a Silverado at the end of this year (v8 but just maybe the LT1), having the '16 camaro 2SS I really would love to know the answer to feed my curiosity!
Old 01-21-2016, 05:09 PM
CPhelps
CF Senior Member

The LT1 is actually only used in the Corvette and Camaro.

The 6.2L truck engine is actually an L86.

I think the question is still interesting though, as GM's powertrain site lists some differences but I'm sure there are more. Plus it gives insight into the things they change for specific vehicle applications.

They have the same compression ratio.
LT1 revs to 6600 vs. 6000 for L86.

Materials listed (alloys unspecified) for the block, heads, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, main bearing caps, crank, camshaft, and con-rods are the same.

Things like cam specs are not listed, so it would be neat to see if they're the same and the different power profile comes only from intake/exhaust manifolds and tuning, or if the camshafts are different as well (which I suspect is the case).

Last edited by CPhelps; 01-21-2016 at 05:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CPhelps For This Useful Post:
Dogfather6 (01-22-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 05:58 PM
Kracka
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by CPhelps View Post

Thank you for that clarification!
Old 01-22-2016, 12:04 PM
Dogfather6
CF Member

I think the question is still interesting though, as GM's powertrain site lists some differences but I'm sure there are more. Plus it gives insight into the things they change for specific vehicle applications.

They have the same compression ratio.
LT1 revs to 6600 vs. 6000 for L86.

Materials listed (alloys unspecified) for the block, heads, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, main bearing caps, crank, camshaft, and con-rods are the same.

Things like cam specs are not listed, so it would be neat to see if they're the same and the different power profile comes only from intake/exhaust manifolds and tuning, or if the camshafts are different as well (which I suspect is the case).
Thank you so much for the awesome information! Much appreciated it!
Old 01-25-2016, 05:54 PM
Kracka
CF Senior Member

My original question has been edited to include Fyreant's question: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-reused.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Kracka For This Useful Post:
FYREANT (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 06:19 PM
CPhelps
CF Senior Member

One of the vendors, I think LG, posted pictures of a built in "catch can" in the LT1 Camaros. It will be interesting to see if C7 adopts that as well.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:00 PM
Dogfather6
CF Member

One of the vendors, I think LG, posted pictures of a built in "catch can" in the LT1 Camaros. It will be interesting to see if C7 adopts that as well.
Correct, LG indeed find a built in catch can on the SS. Apparently, it isn't enough for people and are ordering/installing an extra one lol.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:26 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
My original question has been edited to include Fyreant's question: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-reused.html
Sounds good to me. I'd love this one to go through. I think this is just the type of question that the Corvette team likes to get.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:21 PM
Chevette!?!?
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
I am curious about simple, but possibly interesting question. The LT1 is now used in multiple models, the Corvette and Camaro. Are the actual engines identical in design and specs as they're built before getting prepared for installation (i.e. before manifolds, etc. are bolted on)? If they do differ, what differentiates the Corvette-specific LT1 from the others? While we are on the topic of the LT1, what was the reasoning behind the decision to bring back (or recycle, depending on how you want to look at it) the LT1 and LT4 engine designations. Thank you for your time and consideration!
The Camaro and Corvette both use the LT1 engine But because of the limited space and low profile of the Corvette engine bay a different intake,head and oil pan are used. Otherwise the engine specs are identical.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:31 PM
tfuno

I have a 1970 LT1 block in my 77 C3. My understanding was the LT1 was a four bolt main block and the engine i have came out of a Caprice. So were other GM models installed with factory LT1?
Old 01-15-2017, 10:50 PM
BlueDevilZ51
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chevette!?!? View Post
The Camaro and Corvette both use the LT1 engine But because of the limited space and low profile of the Corvette engine bay a different intake,head and oil pan are used. Otherwise the engine specs are identical.
I'm almost positive the LT1 is the same in the Corvette and Camaro. They both have the same intake and heads.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:50 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own either a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by tfuno View Post
I have a 1970 LT1 block in my 77 C3. My understanding was the LT1 was a four bolt main block and the engine i have came out of a Caprice. So were other GM models installed with factory LT1?
Just FYI, this section is devoted to questions regarding current production models.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:52 PM
Dale002
CF Senior Member

The LT1 was actually first introduced in the 1970 Stingray.

Last edited by Dale002; 01-22-2018 at 12:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 engines across various models - how do they differ?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.