Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 03-25-2015, 01:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C5 and general audio FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 11:49 PM
Friscojim
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

I was all set to go to Car Toys and spend about $2K to replace everything in an '01 vert I just picked - was pleasantly surprised that the existing system sounds really nice - the only upgrade I can see at this point rear speakers but reading one post about someone who did that and they sounded horrible - any suggestions? Can the speakers just be swapped out for a nice 3 way? I love using my ipod and having all the controls and info in the HU display - would swapping out the HU and adding the rear speakers mess anything up?
I think I may have found my answer at least for the rear speakers - "Any standard 4ohm 2-way aftermarket speakers will work for the 3.5" in front and 5.25" in back. If you've blown the door subs you'll need to find some takeoffs to replace them with."
Can just the HU be swapped out and still use the Bose system and front speakers?

Last edited by Friscojim; 01-07-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:36 PM
edman610
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help!! Just bought my first Vette, a 1999 Convertible. It has an Alpine 1 DIN HU, factory Bose speakers in the doors, and newer speakers in the rear.
There is no bass, and the sound is horrible.

From what I've read here, I need to have the door speakers amplified and with some kind of subwoofer.

1. is it possible to use the factory Bose units to do this?
2. I heard that the factory Bose door speakers contain an amp and subwoofer - can they be wired to use that with an Alpine head unit?
3. If so, how exactly do you do that?
4. If not, I have no problem buying replacements for the door - how do I add the speakers - and which ones - and how/where do I install an amp?

Thanks
Ed
Old 09-12-2018, 04:33 PM
Heavy Vetting
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by edman610
Please help!! Just bought my first Vette, a 1999 Convertible. It has an Alpine 1 DIN HU, factory Bose speakers in the doors, and newer speakers in the rear.
There is no bass, and the sound is horrible.

From what I've read here, I need to have the door speakers amplified and with some kind of subwoofer.

1. is it possible to use the factory Bose units to do this?
2. I heard that the factory Bose door speakers contain an amp and subwoofer - can they be wired to use that with an Alpine head unit?
3. If so, how exactly do you do that?
4. If not, I have no problem buying replacements for the door - how do I add the speakers - and which ones - and how/where do I install an amp?

Thanks
Ed

Hi Ed,

When dealing with a Bose system, I strongly suggest you change out everything Bose instead of trying to make it work with other components. Besides, those Bose speakers weren't great shakes back in 1999 (20 years ago), and I can't imagine they have improved with age. Speaker technology has come a long way.

If you like your head unit, keep it. I am guessing that it can accommodate a line out to a separate amplifier. Get that amplifier and use it to power a sub woofer. And get rid of the in-door Bose speakers. If it's Bose, it goes!

I recently upgraded my system in my C5 and I love it. PM me if you want to discuss this further.

HV
The following users liked this post:
edman610 (09-13-2018)
Old 01-19-2019, 02:57 AM
megan.andrews
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What to avoid and what to do of C5?
please clarify me from anyone end and thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:28 PM
larney
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I just recently purchased a 2003 50th anniversary special edition. Both the cassette and CD changed do not work.
I'd like to install the PIE GM10 and not really worry about the tape/CD changer. I can't seem to locate it anywhere.
Are they discontinued? What is a viable substitute? I'd prefer not to install an aftermarket and take away from the originality.
But if that is the only option..... Then I guess that will be it. I guess I could always buy the kit and an HU and keep the original to reinstall whenever.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Larney
Old 04-25-2019, 10:22 AM
ron993
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just upgraded my 02 convertible to a Pioneer double din and also swapped out the twiddlers to the JBL's as recommended here. It sounds OK, but that is all I am willing to give it. I am now looking into ditching the bose crap. What is the best subwoofer box and location for a convertible?
Old 06-13-2019, 05:11 PM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default speakers dim

I have a 2002 Z06 with all OEM radio system. I can barely hear the speakers with the radio on. What should I be checking so I get sound. Not looking for any upgrade, just basic stuff
Old 10-24-2019, 08:36 AM
red50th
Advanced

Originally Posted by scott_fx
and a second version from lv_2_xlr8
Ray, what is the adapter item number and where do I get ? (“Be sure you get the
adapter to go from an after market head unit to the pre-amped Bose speakers”).
Rich
Old 10-24-2019, 08:41 AM
red50th
Advanced

Ray, what is the adapter item number and where do I get it?
(“Be sure you get the
adapter to go from an after market head unit to the pre-amped Bose speakers”)
Rich
Old 04-27-2020, 04:28 PM
dearoldad
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Searching for stock Bose plug pin outs and color id but all the links say photo not available....am I doing something wrong?
Old 05-10-2020, 12:51 PM
dearoldad
Advanced

I cant get your pics to show up[
Old 05-13-2020, 11:56 AM
dearoldad
Advanced

Good day,
I'm looking for the radio plug pin outs for my 2002 vert. I am installing a Kenwood 996 HU with a xsvi-2004 interface. Unfortunately the instructions are a bit vague. I followed a couple of your links but the pics are missing. Can you send me the C5 radio plug pinouts?
Old 05-21-2021, 10:25 PM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Friscojim
I was all set to go to Car Toys and spend about $2K to replace everything in an '01 vert I just picked - was pleasantly surprised that the existing system sounds really nice - the only upgrade I can see at this point rear speakers but reading one post about someone who did that and they sounded horrible - any suggestions? Can the speakers just be swapped out for a nice 3 way? I love using my ipod and having all the controls and info in the HU display - would swapping out the HU and adding the rear speakers mess anything up?
I think I may have found my answer at least for the rear speakers - "Any standard 4ohm 2-way aftermarket speakers will work for the 3.5" in front and 5.25" in back. If you've blown the door subs you'll need to find some takeoffs to replace them with."
Can just the HU be swapped out and still use the Bose system and front speakers?
You can swap out the Headunit and still keep the Bose system, as long as you have the proper adapter for it. I've put in a double din Android stereo, but you'll need to do some custom work to get it to fit. I've also replaced all the Bose speakers because they suck. The entire Bose system sucks, but then again my ears can notice the difference. I've replaced them with Polk Audio which isn't the best speakers but they do sound a lot better. I also put a huge sub woofer in the trunk, but done tastefully without taking up the limited space in the trunk. I also threw the amp in the sub box because I'm lazy and don't want to uglify my car.

You can replace the rear speakers easily. I don't think the Bose system would be upset over it, but then again I've removed the Bose system.

Quick Reply: C5 and general audio FAQ