Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 03-25-2015, 01:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C5 and general audio FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 08:12 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

From post #9 of this thread:

Trouble getting your stock head unit to recognize GM10-Aux?

Sometimes if you loose power to the radio (dead/disconnected battery), or unplug the GM10-Aux converter, your stock head unit may not want to go to or stay on "Disc 1 Track 1" like it should. After getting some advice from other forum members I put thogther this little procedure that has worked for me every time so far:

-unplug GM10-Aux from Cor-Har changer cable
-let it sit overnight (a few hours at least)
-with car still off, plug in GM10-Aux
-let it sit for at least 10 minutes
-turn on car & radio, select changer on radio
-if it works (Disc 1 Track 1) you're done
-if it doesn't work, leave car running but turn off radio
-unplug GM10-Aux, then reconnect it
-turn on radio, it should work
Give it a shot, everywhere you see GM10-Aux just unplug the changer, it should work
Old 11-12-2014, 09:46 PM
Andy Boyuka
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
From post #9 of this thread:

Give it a shot, everywhere you see GM10-Aux just unplug the changer, it should work
I appriate the info. I did try that with no luck. I do know a guy who has an OEM
radio repair store. He said this is common. I dropped off today and will let you what I found out. Thanks
Old 11-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Andy Boyuka
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Andy Boyuka
I appriate the info. I did try that with no luck. I do know a guy who has an OEM
radio repair store. He said this is common. I dropped off today and will let you what I found out. Thanks
Here's the lastest update. My friend at the radio shop fixed it.it had a cd stuck in there. It works fine. It must have been that bump in the road. I remember the cd skipped. Thanks again. Andy
Old 03-20-2015, 03:53 PM
julidavillan
1st Gear

Bose Stereo All you ever wanted to know
I can't seem to log into this page to see the information. Is it the same login as for this site? Or is there a different password?
Old 03-21-2015, 12:02 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by julidavillan
Bose Stereo All you ever wanted to know
I can't seem to log into this page to see the information. Is it the same login as for this site? Or is there a different password?
The 'tech tips' portion of this site hasn't worked properly for years. If you have any specific questions that aren't answered in this FAQ thread just post a new thread with your questions.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:15 PM
Choptop
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scott_fx
What size speakers will fit in the doors if i remove the bose speakers?
You can fit practically any size speaker; short of subwoofers, in the doors of a c5.
ok, just looking for a quick answer... what size is the stock Bose speaker?

saying one "can fit anything short of a subwoofer" doesnt really nail it down. One can order an 8in 3way speaker... will that fit? How about a 10in version?

a simple measurement of the stock speaker will clear this up.

any help?

EDIT - Nevermind... I found it (on a different forum)... the C5 Corvette Bose Door speaker has an 8in woofer.

Last edited by Choptop; 07-21-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:47 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

It's not easy to squeeze an aftermarket 8" speaker into a C5.

Post #3 of THIS THREAD has good pics of what you're looking at. 6.5" is about as big as you'd want to go.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:39 PM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Got a small problem with my new radio in my C5. I installed a reverse camera and wired it to the reverse power and grounded it to the the rear frame. There was a few grounds there already. When I drive and hit the brake, sometimes the radio bonks and quickly switches to reverse camera for a split second. Why does this happen? Is some power from the ground I wired coming from the brake lights that triggers this? It doesn't always happen and just seems random when I hit the brake pedal.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:10 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Dukenukemx
Got a small problem with my new radio in my C5. I installed a reverse camera and wired it to the reverse power and grounded it to the the rear frame. There was a few grounds there already. When I drive and hit the brake, sometimes the radio bonks and quickly switches to reverse camera for a split second. Why does this happen? Is some power from the ground I wired coming from the brake lights that triggers this? It doesn't always happen and just seems random when I hit the brake pedal.
Sounds like your brake light is getting grounded thru the HU reverse trigger

Pull all of the grounds off where you attached the camera and scratch up the metal a bit to make sure there is good electrical contact (no paint) on the bumper, then make sure the nut is tight when it's all together again.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:35 PM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

Thanks markcz, I'll try that. If that doesn't work would a diode prevent this problem?
Old 08-09-2015, 01:03 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Dukenukemx
If that doesn't work would a diode prevent this problem?
It should, but something isn't right if your brakes are being grounded through the other circuits on the same ground.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:32 AM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

Originally Posted by markcz
It should, but something isn't right if your brakes are being grounded through the other circuits on the same ground.
I'm just assuming that it is, cause the rear bumper had some wires running grounds to it and that's where I ran mine.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:16 PM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

Checked the rear grounds and I forgot to hook one up. Woops! But even after cleaning it and hooking up the other ground, the stereo still momentarily engages rear camera. Would a resistor help?
Old 08-26-2015, 06:10 PM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

Checked the rear ground again and found one of those plug like grounds that the front has all over. Removed it and it was oxidized, so I cleaned it and threw dielectric grease and the problem seems to be gone. Any more grounds in the rear I don't know about?
Old 11-17-2015, 02:02 PM
jose7740
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Default What fits?

My 98 Corvette coupe has the radio/ cassette option, is there a list of which radio/ CD players(Delco) that fits directly?
Old 03-30-2016, 12:04 PM
cschaeff
2nd Gear

Default 2000 C5 Service vehicle soon with aftermarket head unit

I have a Pioneer head unit, and the service engine soon pops on when vehicle is started, I would image there is a piece missing that the computer is looking for. Anybody have a fix?
Thanks
Old 03-30-2016, 01:53 PM
RealmSteel
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cschaeff
I have a Pioneer head unit, and the service engine soon pops on when vehicle is started, I would image there is a piece missing that the computer is looking for. Anybody have a fix?
Thanks
I have a Pioneer double din in my 01 and I do not get a CEL unless there is a problem.
See what codes are there.
It's not related to the radio unless the installer screwed something up with the wiring.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 and general audio FAQ

Old 03-30-2016, 10:07 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by RealmSteel
I have a Pioneer double din in my 01 and I do not get a CEL unless there is a problem.
See what codes are there.
It's not related to the radio unless the installer screwed something up with the wiring.
CEL has nothing to do with the radio

Originally Posted by cschaeff
Thanks
This thread will show you how to access the codes. My advice, read and record them ALL, clear them all out, then go for a drive and when you get home see if any have returned (or won't clear). Look up the current codes that return. If you're lucky it's just an AIR check valve.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:23 AM
Dr. Doug
Heel & Toe

Default Front Speaker replacement

I understand the stock Bose speakers in the front doors of my 2003 C5 are 3 1/2 diameter? Will a 4 inch diameter speaker fit into the same cavity without having to do any mods outside of drilling a couple new mounting holes? Don't want to find out different after pulling the door panels off.

There is a wider selection of 4" speakers then 3 1/2. Like Cerwin Vega seems to have only one 3 1/2 speaker option.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:24 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Dr. Doug
I understand the stock Bose speakers in the front doors of my 2003 C5 are 3 1/2 diameter? Will a 4 inch diameter speaker fit into the same cavity without having to do any mods outside of drilling a couple new mounting holes? Don't want to find out different after pulling the door panels off.

There is a wider selection of 4" speakers then 3 1/2. Like Cerwin Vega seems to have only one 3 1/2 speaker option.
If you're replacing the stock C5 mounting plate with an aftermarket plate, then you might be able to use 4" on the top, if you're just swapping speakers then they won't fit on the stock plate.

Quick Reply: C5 and general audio FAQ