Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

87 radio question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Fla96LT4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 87 radio question

Trying to restore my 87 radio back to original. It has a Pioneer installed now.

There are three connectors (black, white and blue), also a two connector plug and single connector plug in the dash. The original type radio (89) has and a single pink wire and a black connector and space for the aforementioned connectors (blk, blu, wht).

Any one know what all these connectors do, and does the order of the three in the connection holder matter? thanks
Old 08-13-2007, 03:23 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

http://members.shaw.ca/dankai/Radio.pdf
Old 08-13-2007, 03:25 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

If you are going back to a Bose, you are going to have to change the speakers, and the wiring.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:47 PM
dan0617
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does that happen to be a Pioneer that is made to fit the dash of a Corvette? If so, and if it works, would you be interested in selling it? I'm looking for one for my '89 but I hate to pay the price of a new one, and I am not going to go with one that uses a cheap looking blockoff or adapter plate to take up the space.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Fla96LT4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Appreciate the help Agent 86, the schematics should get me pointed in the right direction, but they don't cover that connector.

I have an 86 shop manual, but the wire colors must have changed. The Pioneer radio is installed, and no adapter plate, so I suspect it was made for the Corvette. I just want to go back the original look. If I can get this changed out, I will let you know on selling the Pioneer.

Still don't understand the power hook-up, and it is too hot right now in Florida (probably everywhere) to work in the garage.

Anyone know if the connectors to the large plug have a specified order (the three blk, blue, white two pin connectors)?
Old 08-13-2007, 11:27 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

If you look at the radio section of your electrical diagnostic book, there is a dashed line across the wires going into the radio block which identifies one wiring harness plug that plugs into the radio. You need to look at the radio schematic (not provided in the elec. diagn. book) to determine what each wire does. Some colors were used more than once compounding your problem if someone cut the connectors off to install the aftermarket radio. You may have to trace wires in the case of wires of the same color. The elec. diagn. book shows where all the wires from plugs go and you can easily see what each wire does, for example on my 87, one pink wire turns on the amplifier relay from the radio which supplies power to the speaker amplifiers when the radio is turned on.

Get notified of new replies

To 87 radio question

Quick Reply: 87 radio question