Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

FYI -- SYS error 91 non-Bose

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 04:41 PM
jwade91
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI -- SYS error 91 non-Bose

The fix was slightly different than the Crutchfield post various members have archived. Instead of a yellow wire, it's an orange wire. It goes like this:

There are two flat harnesses that plug into the back of the display unit in the dash (if you're this far you know the amp/tuner module is remotely located in the passenger side of the dash). The seven pin one with the orange wire on one end is the one you have to put the resistors in. Two resistors are required. One end of each goes into the orange wire slot, then the other end of one goes into the purple/white slot right next to the orange wire, and the end of the second goes into the grey/black slot next to the purple/white. That's it ... wrap it up with electrical tape and no more SYS error.

I bought the resistors at Radio Shack, pack of 5. There are labeled as 1K-Ohm Resistors (1/2 watt, 5% tolerance).

Old 01-20-2002, 11:18 AM
JIMBO55
Instructor

Default Re: FYI -- SYS error 91 non-Bose (jwade91)

thank god---i have had the sys flash for 3 months an it is a pain in the butt.
i had the bose system replaced but have not seen the wire harness, as an installer did the job. where is the flat cable located?? is it behind the radio or the amp unit thanks in advance jimbo :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Old 01-20-2002, 11:38 PM
LPDesRoche
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: FYI -- SYS error 91 non-Bose (JIMBO55)

Thanks soooo much. I hate that stupid SYS flash....
Old 01-21-2002, 11:41 PM
jwade91
Racer

Default Re: FYI -- SYS error 91 non-Bose (JIMBO55)

It's the 7 pin that plugs into the "radio" in the dash. I didn't have BOSE, but it's probably the same, since the BOSE system locates individual amps at the speakers. So, I would assume the overall wiring is the same in the dash.

An installer probably used the GM 90-94 adapter which connects at the remote tuner/amp. So, the harnesses into the old display unit (radio) should be intact behind the new radio. If you remove the driver's side center console carpet piece, you may be able to see the old harness behind the radio and fish it out. That's what I did, but I installed my own radio and remembered how I left things. Otherwise, you'll probably have to remove the radio. You might call your installer first, and talk it over with him to see how the new unit was installed, what was cut, etc ... and chew him out for not knowing all he should (guilt him into helping you out).

Good luck. I watched the "SYS" for a long time too before finally getting around to fixing it.

Get notified of new replies

To FYI -- SYS error 91 non-Bose

Quick Reply: FYI -- SYS error 91 non-Bose