Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

high pitch noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Roodman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default high pitch noise

I installed an amp and H/u awhile back on my 2003 vette. When I turn the car on have have a faint high pitch noise thats sounds like a hearing test. Doesnt change volume or pitch with engine revs. Only happens when engine is running. If it sits for awhile it will happen every time. If its only been off for 15 minutes or so no noise. To make the noise go away I just turn the H/U to stanby the noise is gone. Turn the radio back on no noise. IF the volume is all the way down doesnt change the noise is pitch of vol. Does anybody know what this could be? I have a 5 channel amp and a brand new Kenwood H/u. 4 gauge off the battery and 4 running to ground on side piller behind seat. Any help is appreciated
Old 09-23-2011, 02:29 PM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

i have chased this gremlin down in my 2010 C6. the problem likely has to do with ground loops. i don't think that your problem is any more unique than what other c6 owners deal with.

i successfully eliminated a high pitch shriek by grounding the negative side of the rca connectors to the chassis of the head unit. this may solve your problem. after doing this i still had a slightly perceptible high pitch noise that i was able to eliminate by using an antenna isolator. to test if this will solve your problem you need to access the back of your radio, with the car running unplug the antenna, if the noise goes away then an antenna isolator would solve your problem, if the noise does not go away then a ground loop isolator will likely eliminate your problem. understand that a ground loop isolator may interfere with the quality of your signal and should therefore be a last resort.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:33 PM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

i have a very detailed install thread HERE

if you scroll through this thread you will see information concerning the antenna isolator along with pictures of the isolator next to adapters that i had to use. you will also see pictures of my grounded rca wires to the head unit.

thankfully, i do not use any ground loop isolators, they would likely have solved my problem, but i was able to solve the problem with alternate methods (described above). however, if you need a ground loop isolator, i would suggest the PAC SNI1 Noise Isolator. i tried three different ground loop isolators and i thought the PAC SNI1 Noise Isolator was the best.

best of luck in your efforts to eliminate the noise!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:40 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

the fact that its constene and doesnt change with noise tells me its an issue with either headunit or amp
Old 09-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Roodman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree I dont think it is a ground problem, but for some reason if I turn the head unit off to standby and then back on it is gone. Is there a way to figure out which one it is the h/u or the amp
Old 09-24-2011, 05:23 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

You can usually test an amp by connecting an ipod or something else to the RCA inputs. If the problem is the amp, it should still be there.

Get notified of new replies

To high pitch noise

Quick Reply: high pitch noise