Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C6 Vert Stereo Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 05:37 PM
glm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Vert Stereo Issue

I have a 2005 Vert with the Bose Nav that links to the HUD. Recently, the single CD player is giving me a message that "No CD is loaded" when there is one loaded. I can eject the disk and get it to work, but I sense this is going to be a problem. I am guessing that this will require replacing the HU which will probably be expensive (no idea how much).

I would really like to put in a better sound system and replace the stock unit (perhaps the Pioneer). I put in the Kicker speaker upgrades from Double D Mods a while back. However, I could be convinced to upgrade those (although they sound good). A more powerful amp would also be nice, but I don't want to do a bunch of cutting and custom enclosures. I don't care if it integrates into the Nav, because I only use it in track mode.

I've done some searches, but don't see any clear suggestions. What might be some good options and general cost estimates. I don't mind spending some cash, but don't want to get too outrageous.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:42 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

You will get more and better answers here
Old 08-27-2012, 05:44 PM
glm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

My suggestion is that you look at a remanufactured 2011 model Kenwood 9980. It is less than half the price of a 2012 model, and has more features. I put one in my wife's car and pocketed the over $700 savings. I think you could get it for about $750 with harness and adapters.

IMHO, spending all the extra $ for the 2012 model is a waste. Kenwood removed a few features on the 2012, and the main new feature, data bus integration, is vaporware, and scuttle butt is that even when it is ready, it will not work with the HUD which is the main reason to have it IMHO.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:03 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

A basic aftermarket setup would be a component set in the doors and a sub in the trunk.

6.5" components for $150-300

Fiberglass sub box with sub is about $400

Bridgeable 4-channel amp (fronts on ch1&2, ch3&4 combined to power sub) anywhere from $200-600 depending on size, class, brand...

Another $50 in misc wires

Not including radio $800 can sound pretty darn good, $1400 can be amazing

If you want to add (or keep your current) rears, you can power them off of the new HU internal amp, or make the new amp a 5-channel and give them more power. However, in a well powered aftermarket setup the rears aren't needed, and many think it sounds better without them.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Vert Stereo Issue

Quick Reply: C6 Vert Stereo Issue