Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 03-25-2015, 01:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 09:22 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

The newer models are worth considering, as they offer better processors, higher resolution screens, updated operating system, etc. Dimensions are provided, so fitment should not be a significant risk.

The model at the page referenced in my original post has obviously changed. The one I bought is here, but you might want to go with this one.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:49 PM
Skanlez
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bjmsam
The newer models are worth considering, as they offer better processors, higher resolution screens, updated operating system, etc. Dimensions are provided, so fitment should not be a significant risk.

The model at the page referenced in my original post has obviously changed. The one I bought is here, but you might want to go with this one.
Awesome man, thanks for all the links. I think I'm going to get the one you recommended cause I saw it on a youtube review. Was trying to look for it. Thanks again.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:04 PM
KoreaJon
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Skanlez
I'm thinking about getting this unit, how's it holding up?

Mine still works fine, but there are a few peculiarities that bug me.
1. There's no dedicated SW control, only the ****** EQ. Getting proper base response is problematic.

2. Whenever I choose DVD as the music source it kind of "re-boots" as it reads the DVD (CD.) It's not an actual "re-boot," as it ill immediately revert to the radio or the bluetooth if I so choose....but it does go through the boot screen and re-reads the DVD whenever I choose DVD. Every time. Very irritating.

IHTH,
KoreaJon
Old 11-16-2015, 11:10 PM
Skanlez
Racer

Originally Posted by KoreaJon
Mine still works fine, but there are a few peculiarities that bug me.
1. There's no dedicated SW control, only the ****** EQ. Getting proper base response is problematic.

2. Whenever I choose DVD as the music source it kind of "re-boots" as it reads the DVD (CD.) It's not an actual "re-boot," as it ill immediately revert to the radio or the bluetooth if I so choose....but it does go through the boot screen and re-reads the DVD whenever I choose DVD. Every time. Very irritating.

IHTH,
KoreaJon

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:04 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I guess im diff than others here.. As i wonder why would you even put one of these in a vette and still have a **** sounding sterio ??
Old 11-17-2015, 03:57 PM
Skanlez
Racer

Originally Posted by carls2004
I guess im diff than others here.. As i wonder why would you even put one of these in a vette and still have a **** sounding sterio ??
Are there reviews when this is installed in our cars that the sound will sound like sh*t? I currently have a Parrot Android Double Din in my G35 with Bose speakers and it sounds way better than the stock unit. Maybe it's different with the speaker on the vetts?
Old 11-17-2015, 04:10 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Carl's views are not specific to this head unit and would be more appropriately discussed in a different thread so this one can remain on topic.

Guess you guy's are just replacing stock with these.
If i was going to replace a stock head unit with one of these, and everything else was stock, then yes i may consider..
That is indeed the intended audience. Corvette is not an audiophile platform, unless we're talking about the exhaust note...
As previously discussed, this head unit sounds <i>at least as good as</i> the stock head unit, which in a Corvette is <i>more than adequate</i>. It is by no means the weak link in the audio chain, as significant improvements to sound quality would require upgrading <i>other</i> parts of the system (speakers, amp) <i>and</i> the environment (interior materials, sound deadening), which is infeasible for most owners who drive these cars as intended. Audiophiles seeking nirvana <i>in a vehicle</i> (oxymoronic to this home theater enthusiast) would be well advised to consider a platform lacking the obnoxious V8 engine and the huge parabolic reflector that is the rear hatch window.

The point of replacing the stock head unit is modern convenience, which Android models such as this one provide in spades (convergence, apps).

Last edited by bjmsam; 11-17-2015 at 05:06 PM. Reason: added link to HT thread for context
The following users liked this post:
Skanlez (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 04:49 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Default Sorry

Didnt mean to change topic of this thread.

Just thought i throw in,,, that it wouldnt be any better audio than a stock unit...
And no the corvette isnt the best audiophile platform,,, But it can be 100 % better with some after market units and doors repaired..
Again sorry for changing subject....
Old 11-17-2015, 05:13 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=bjmsam;1590924830]Carl's views are not specific to this head unit and would be more appropriately discussed in a different thread so this one can remain on topic.

As previously discussed, this head unit sounds <i>at least as good as</i> the stock head unit, which in a Corvette is <i>more than adequate</i>. It is by no means the weak link in the audio chain, as significant improvements to sound quality would require upgrading <i>other</i> parts of the system (speakers, amp) <i>and</i> the environment (interior materials, sound deadening), which is infeasible for most owners who drive these cars as intended. Audiophiles seeking nirvana <i>in a vehicle</i> (oxymoronic to this home theater enthusiast) would be well advised to consider a platform lacking the obnoxious V8 engine and the huge parabolic reflector that is the rear hatch window.

My Lol, for the day...You sound like vender"s on here...Chill

Well i guess my upgrade that didnt cost much, and little time to do,and improved the sound 100% -- was a waist of time...

Again sorry for changing subject.. Just wanted to let anyone know if their looking at these..So they know what their getting ., That its no better audio...
All i intended was to inform...
Old 11-17-2015, 06:56 PM
bjmsam
Pro

My Lol, for the day...You sound like vender"s on here...Chill

Well i guess my upgrade that didnt cost much, and little time to do,and improved the sound 100% -- was a waist of time...

Again sorry for changing subject.. Just wanted to let anyone know if their looking at these..So they know what their getting ., That its no better audio...
All i intended was to inform...
I meant not to offend you, but to clarify what had already been discussed. I am sincerely glad that the comprehensive upgrade you described on the previous page was cheap and easy and will seek out your thread describing it in more detail, as acoustics has long been a hobby of mine (before / after measurements of your system similar to those in the HT thread I referenced above would be fascinating)!

Last edited by bjmsam; 11-17-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:51 PM
KoreaJon
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL! The stereo / sound system sounds good. I have Polk Audio component speakers, 1200 watts driving the mids & highs, a 12" sub driven by another 1000 watt single channel amp. The frustration is in the unit not having a dedicated SW control is all.

regards,
KoreaJon
Old 11-17-2015, 08:56 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by KoreaJon
The stereo / sound system sounds good. ... The frustration is in the unit not having a dedicated SW control is all.
Did you contact the vendor? Perhaps an app can be installed to address that!

Regardless, since a dedicated amp drives the sub, why not use its gain control to dial things in?

Last edited by bjmsam; 11-17-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:29 PM
Naldinator
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Think I am going to go with this one which should be the latest and greatest. Is this the same vendor you bought from that was responsive to any questions?

I have a 1lt with no bose, steering wheel controls or nav. Planning on replacing all the speakers as well. Anyone think I should get a little amp to go with this?

Can I see front facing "dvr" video feed on screen? Sort of a parking camera rather than a backup camera?

Anyone have recommendations on cameras for front? Love the look of OP rear cam?
Old 11-28-2015, 11:01 PM
Skanlez
Racer

Sorry I've been MIA. I'm having a shop install mine next Thursday with a backup camera. Will let you guys know how it goes
Old 11-29-2015, 07:26 AM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by Naldinator
Think I am going to go with this one which should be the latest and greatest. Is this the same vendor you bought from that was responsive to any questions?
Yes, that appears to be the latest and greatest from the same responsive vendor. It seems also to be available via
Amazon Prime Amazon Prime
, which is pretty sweet!

I have a 1lt with no bose, steering wheel controls or nav. Planning on replacing all the speakers as well. Anyone think I should get a little amp to go with this?
My 2LZ has the Bose amp so I have not tried the amp built in to the head unit (advertised as 4*50W max). An amp has more to do with the speakers than the head unit, so you might consult other threads for guidance.

Can I see front facing "dvr" video feed on screen? Sort of a parking camera rather than a backup camera?
Yes, but unlike the rear-facing, composite-video camera that is triggered by the reverse gear circuit, the front-facing camera uses USB like a [waterproof!] webcam.

Please let us know how it works out for you!
Old 11-29-2015, 11:37 AM
Naldinator
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes, but unlike the rear-facing, composite-video camera that is triggered by the reverse gear circuit, the front-facing camera uses USB like a [waterproof!] webcam.

Please let us know how it works out for you!
Thanks man!

Any recommendation on front Camera?
Old 11-29-2015, 12:28 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Any recommendation on front Camera?
I have no experience with front parking cameras like others do, but rather than messing with USB webcams and the dashcam app, I would likely install another rear-type camera up front and use a center console-mounted momentary switch to toggle it on when pulling forward into a parking space. The same composite video and trigger inputs would be used for both cameras, so a simple circuit would be needed to prevent the front camera from overriding the rear (in case the switch is inadvertently engaged while in reverse).

Get notified of new replies

To Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation

Old 11-30-2015, 10:37 PM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Interested in the latest also..hoping to see how much mod is needed to have it fit. I'm assuming the same kit used in post 1 would work, after modding. I'd also assume the list of adapters, etc. listed on post 1 are the only ones needed also?

And.. does anyone use SYGIC as the navigation? I have this on my cell now and absolutely love it. Was hoping I can load it on the HU and it store the maps.

I think I have a bit more to read to understand the benefits of an Android HU instead of a plain ol regular Pioneer avh.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:30 PM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So that latest greatest 1024x600 quad core is without dvd/cd player support.

I couldn't find a 1024x600 quad core on pumpkins site that does.

So I'm guessing I have to burn a dvd to a usb drive or microsd card?

And I'm still unclear on what adapters I may need.

The head unit has steering wheel controls built in.. I just have base system, no bose, don't care about onstar..do I need the rpg adapter for other things or a different adapter?

Did anyone have best buy or another shop hook it up and if so, costs involved?
Old 12-02-2015, 03:01 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Correct - that newer unit does not have an integrated DVD drive. My unit does, but I have used it only once, when testing everything out during installation. Ripping a disc to removable media should work. If my car did not have Bose and OnStar, then I would have attempted to install the head unit without the RP5-GM11. Best Buy quoted me $100 to install the head unit plus $80 to modify the trim kit.
The following users liked this post:
Naldinator (12-03-2015)

Quick Reply: Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation