Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My C6 Audio Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 10:34 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D

I need to do some fine tuning as it seem the mid's are very harsh. Also there seems to be some quirks with the steering wheel controls. Mainly the phone pick up/hang up. It seems to want to use Onstar versus picking up the call through the radio.
didn't you buy hertz? that's what they do in car. in an enclosure in a room in a stereo shop they sound much different than in car

2-3khz is probably what you're hearing. eq that down, see if it helps
Old 05-18-2017, 10:53 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
didn't you buy hertz? that's what they do in car. in an enclosure in a room in a stereo shop they sound much different than in car

2-3khz is probably what you're hearing. eq that down, see if it helps
Yeah I picked up the hertz. The EQ was set to flat and the mids were painful. I adjusted the EQ and it sounds much better. I will check what I have 2-3k set at when I get back to the car.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:33 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Yeah I picked up the hertz. The EQ was set to flat and the mids were painful. I adjusted the EQ and it sounds much better. I will check what I have 2-3k set at when I get back to the car.
somewhere between 1khz and 3.5khz is where our ears are most sensitive to hard E sounds, shrill, nails on the chalkboard type stuff. it's also the hardest area to get right in most any sound system
Old 05-19-2017, 11:47 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by racebum
somewhere between 1khz and 3.5khz is where our ears are most sensitive to hard E sounds, shrill, nails on the chalkboard type stuff. it's also the hardest area to get right in most any sound system
Thanks for the tip. On the 13 band EQ, I dipped the bar between 1khz and 4khz and it sounds much better. I can finally turn it up without it hurting. Now it was loud and clear versus sounding like the singer is yelling at me.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:52 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

A lot of speakers have to break in. At first the suspension is stiff and needs to loosen up. They might sound better after a couple days.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:40 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Spent some time today working on the steering wheel controls. The iDatalink doesn't seem to want to play nice. Programed it twice and tried 2 different units. The buttons do not do what the programming saying it will do. Switched it out for the RP5-GM11 and that seems to work a little better but the hang up button doesn't hang up, it mutes the radio. Reprogrammed mutliple times and still mutes. All the rest of the buttons work like they should. I have placed an order for the RP4-GM11 to see if that works better as I want 2 functions per button (quick press plus 'press and hold').
Old 05-19-2017, 11:44 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

Thanks for the update. I have a C6Z wheel that I may use on my C5 at some point in the future.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Finally got around to replacing the RP5-GM11 with the RP4-GM11. Programming the steering wheel controls work exactly like they should. It is possible I had a bad RP5 because, not only could I not get the programming to do what I want, the chimes never worked. Now with the RP4, everything is working.

Driving around today I felt everything sounded better. I am not sure if that is just in my head. I did, however, introduce a little bit of whine. I picked up a couple of ground loop isolators so that should be an easy fix.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:39 PM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 135 Posts

Bringing this one back up (found by searching). Is it safe to say that the iDatalink Maestro RR just isn't compatible with our cars? I ask because I am interested in one for mine.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:22 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JDebler
Bringing this one back up (found by searching). Is it safe to say that the iDatalink Maestro RR just isn't compatible with our cars? I ask because I am interested in one for mine.
Hard to say if it is compatible or not. I can only say I could not get it to work properly with my 2013 GS. I had much better luck with the RP4-GM11.

I also found there is no benefit to using the iDatalink because even it I did get it to work, it would just be for steering wheel controls. You will not get all the other cool things iDatalink offers, link displaying vehicle information. So with the corvette you aren't really getting the "Maestro RR" but the "Maestro SW" instead.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:33 PM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 135 Posts

That's a bummer. I really wanted some cool gauges to add to my new head unit. I guess I'll just keep the PAC harness that I already have. Thanks for the confirmation!

Quick Reply: My C6 Audio Project