Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My C6 Audio Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 06:42 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Default My C6 Audio Project

A complete audio upgrade is usually one of the first things I do but other things just got in the way (IE, buying 3 houses). Now that things have settled down and I am done with taxes for this year, it is time to start the audio project for my 2013 GS.

Here is what's on the list

Head Unit: Kenwood DMX7704S
Front Speakers: Hertz HSK 165 (6.5 component)
Rear Speakers: Hertz HCX 165 (6.5 coax)
Subwoofer: JL Audio Stealthbox
Amp: Hertz HDP 5
(plus all the supporting items; cables, installation kit, various hardware, etc)

Head Unit

At first I was going to go with the Kenwood DDX6703S (cheaper) because I just wanted a unit with Carplay, but decided on the (new for this year) Kenwood DMX7704S. It is slightly more but has a bigger screen and Android Auto support. Also, as of today the DMX7704S is the only head unit that supports the Kenwood DRV-N520 dashcam. I didn't buy the dashcam at this time but it might be something I will pick up in the future.

Speakers

This will be my first time with Hertz speakers. Was leaning towards the Arc Audio ARC 6.2 (fronts) and ARC 502 (rears) but feel the Hertz Hi-Energy line has better sound quality. Price point is about the same so it was kind of a coin flip.

Subwoofer

It is the JL Audio Stealthbox. Can’t really go wrong here. Had it in my 2005 corvette so I know I will like it in my 2013. This is on order and I should have it in about a week.

AMP

I am on the fence on this one. The Hertz Hertz HDP 5 is a 5 channel amp 70w x 4 + 500w x 1 (4 channels will be at 4 ohms and the sub channel will be at 2 ohms). The sub channel is more than enough for the JL Audio Stealthbox. I had a JL 500/1 pushing the JL Audio Stealthbox in my 2005 and it had no problems at all taking that kind of power. However, with the Hertz HSK 165 component speakers with a rated 125w RMS I feel 70w from the amp just isn’t enough. This might be old school thinking, but I typically like to stay within +/- 10% of the speakers RMS rating. The store where I am buying the items, the sales guy demo’ed it for me. Same front and rear speakers running through the HDP 5 and sounded amazing. So I am going to believe him when he said 70w is enough for the speakers I am getting. He also recommended the JL Audio RD900/5 which has the same specs as the HDP 5. I have not bought or paid for the amp yet since I am waiting for the Stealthbox to come in.

So question out to the audio experts on here. Stay with the Hertz HDP 5? Go with the JL Audio RD900/5? Or Go something stronger, maybe the Arc Audio XDi 1100.5 (150w x 4 @ 4 ohms + 500 x 1 @ 2ohms)? Keep in mind that the Arc Audio XDi 1100.5 is about $200 more than the Hertz HDP 5 and JL Audio RD900/5.

Other items

I decided to pick up a backup camera as well. It is a small dome style camera that will tuck right under the lip above the license plate. Basically it will sit next to the truck release button. I don't like the cameras that go on the license plate frame. I also got the iDatalink Maestro that does more than just steering wheel controls but "OEM Integration". Other than that, it is the normal other items needed to complete the install. Dash kit, wires and cables, etc.

As stated above, I should have everything in about a week. The JL Audio Stealthbox is special order and the store did not have the Hertz HSK 165 in stock (other than the demo unit). But he said it will have it in a couple of days. They have the amps in stock but he told me I could make a decision on which one when the rest of the items come in.

Last edited by Homer3D; 04-22-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:16 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Good Luck!

Looking forward to see your results. Planning on upgrading my system as well.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:17 AM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

I would go with an amp that more closely matches the power handling of the speakers. The JL 900/5 is a great unit.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:12 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jimnc
The JL 900/5 is a great unit.
The sales guy at the store said I can get the HPD5 or the RD900/5 for the same price.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Quick update. Jl Stealthbox came in yesterday. Still waiting on the Hertz HSK 165 component speakers. Also decided to go with the JL RD900/5 amp.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:55 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

I have a JL Sub in a C5 stealth box. I dry fitted it and it really sounds good. The bass is real clean. You don't really notice that the woofer is there. The bass just sort of blends in. You will like the sound.

Name:  SAM_0239.JPG
Views: 2234
Size:  3.40 MB
Old 05-04-2017, 02:57 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rob 02
I have a JL Sub in a C5 stealth box. I dry fitted it and it really sounds good. The bass is real clean. You don't really notice that the woofer is there. The bass just sort of blends in. You will like the sound.
I have a C6. I had the JL Steathbox in my 2005 C6 and loved it so I am basically getting the same setup for my 2013.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:15 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Mine is more of a budget build. I didn't go with high end front speakers (yet anyway). Just Polks. The stock speakers sounded nasal and boxy to me (couldn't take it). The doors needed a lot of acoustic treatment too.

It looks like you are putting together an amazing system.

Last edited by Rob 02; 05-04-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:37 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

do you like klipsch? if you do hertz is great, if you don't you're going to hate them. what you like in home audio plays a big part here. like i was saying, if you're a klipsch guy you're set, if however you're more into B&W or martin logan they will get on your nerves

cars are a nearfield experience and if you listen to rock, especially classic rock you may like them.....but hertz isn't nearfield. it's more of a live in your face sound

there is a fairly substantial SQ difference between the JL HD and RD amps. same with size. the HD sounds better and is smaller. it still however won't rival a slash in SQ or dynamics just speaking JL amps

arc or jl both make nice digital amps if you're strapped for space. i just would encourage you to listen to the hertz speakers you are considering in car before you buy them, not just on a sound board

sound deadener makes a HUGE difference as well. second skin or dynamat xtreme would be my vote. second skin you can order direct and 12volt on ebay sells 20sq ft packs of dynamat xtreme for 88 shipped

Last edited by racebum; 05-04-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

I typically lean to the high end market for car audio but I do admit I have been out of the game for almost 10 years. My passion started in the 90’s when companies like Rockford and Kicker were the rulers of the land. Great products from PPI, Phoenix Gold, Eclipse, AlumaPro, etc. I love JL products. Awesome subwoofers and the slash series amps have been a long time favorite. I had my first experience with Arc Audio back in 2011 and was blown away. Which is why I was going to go full Arc this time around (speakers/amp/sub) but after hearing Hertz in person for the first time I felt the SQ was just a little better. I am sure I would have been happy with either set.

As far as sound deadening, I was thinking just the doors and by the rear speakers. I don’t think I need full coverage.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I stripped the back of mine and added some acoustic treatment. Without the carpet the rear tub in mine rang like a bell. I couldn't just leave it that way. I wouldn't put high end speakers in a car this noisy. I didn't add a lot of weight but I just used 40 mil butyl and neoprene insulation.

I really don't understand why speakers are so subjective. They should reproduce sound accurately right? I have been wondering how well the JL audio pre-amps level things out. They seem like sort of an Audyssey processor for cars. My home speakers are KEF, a little on the bright side but Audyssey room correction helps tame things.

Last edited by Rob 02; 05-04-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:28 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by Homer3D
I typically lean to the high end market for car audio but I do admit I have been out of the game for almost 10 years. My passion started in the 90’s when companies like Rockford and Kicker were the rulers of the land. Great products from PPI, Phoenix Gold, Eclipse, AlumaPro, etc. I love JL products. Awesome subwoofers and the slash series amps have been a long time favorite. I had my first experience with Arc Audio back in 2011 and was blown away. Which is why I was going to go full Arc this time around (speakers/amp/sub) but after hearing Hertz in person for the first time I felt the SQ was just a little better. I am sure I would have been happy with either set.

As far as sound deadening, I was thinking just the doors and by the rear speakers. I don’t think I need full coverage.
all that stuff is good. it's just all a little different. the alumapro alchemy which was a famous sub back in the day is no longer around but the rest is. robert zeff aka mr zapco designed the higher end arc amps and they are indeed excellent for smaller platforms. the designed for the ppi power class amps that were so good is the same guy who designed the slash amps for JL. high end car audio is actually a fairly small circle when you get down to it. eclipse sadly isn't around either but alpine still is and now is the only real choice for a SQ deck since eclipse left the market.

the reason i brought up hertz and was hoping you heard them in car has a lot to do with tastes. i know guys who love rock music and blast it on the klipsch heritage speakers and really love the sound. they just produce that live concert sound and that works with some music. if someone is into trance or hip hop i think better choices exist as they make that stuff a bit too midrange forward.

did you get a chance to listen to the morel tempo ultra, hybrid or elate? the hybrid and elate especially are a much more relaxed and detailed speaker than anything i have heard from hertz but that mainly benefits jazz / house / trance / hip hop.

if i was selling gear i wouldn't really have a favorite brand per se, it would be more tailored around the buyers musical interests. i do think morel and hertz cover most the market as hertz does the lively sound better than most the focals i've heard but they just don't do the transparent smooth detail like upper end morels do. a guy really has to pick which sound he's going for
Old 05-04-2017, 10:04 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

^ I haven't heard the Morel speakers but from what you are saying I would probably like them. The heat and humidity is a bit too high in my area for anything with a paper cone. I do like the way paper cone speakers dampen though.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:25 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by racebum
did you get a chance to listen to the morel tempo ultra, hybrid or elate? the hybrid and elate especially are a much more relaxed and detailed speaker than anything i have heard from hertz but that mainly benefits jazz / house / trance / hip hop.

Nope. When I use to live in the bay area (California) there were so many car audio shops. I knew them most of them and the owners personally, even went to high school with one of them. So back then it was super easy to hear a ton of different brands. Where I live now there is 1 car audio shop and the highest end brand they carry is JL Audio. An authorized shop that carries one high end brand is 40 minutes one direction and another shop with another high end brand was 40 minutes another direction. The shop I bought I ordered the hertz speakers from is 30 miles away from house. As much as I love to drive my corvette, it started becoming a pain going to all these places so far from each other. I guess it is the price I have to pay for living in a small town now vs a big city.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:50 AM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rob 02
^ I haven't heard the Morel speakers but from what you are saying I would probably like them. The heat and humidity is a bit too high in my area for anything with a paper cone. I do like the way paper cone speakers dampen though.
morel is the only car audio speaker manf. i know of who actually puts a focus on dampening and 2nd order harmonics

i love the paper cone sound myself. i do not like sharp cones or often times metal cones. yes they can be precise but god damn. if you hit a frequency they don't like they really let you know. B&W hit a win with their kevlar cones. dynaudio hit a win with their poly and morel, on the upper end is really similar to dynaudio. you do not have 2nd order harmonics or resonation with the tweeter or the woofer. the tempo ultra is one of their best sellers as the components can be had as cheap as about $275 in a 6.5" the hybrid is where the made in isreal stuff starts and is a bit more warm, bit more detailed, very airy. it sounds like hi-fi gear. price also ratchets up with the best deal being about $500 and a 749 retail. if you go this route go to an authorized dealer or someone reputable. old stock and fake speakers do exist in this brand
Old 05-05-2017, 12:55 AM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Nope. When I use to live in the bay area (California) there were so many car audio shops. I knew them most of them and the owners personally, even went to high school with one of them. So back then it was super easy to hear a ton of different brands. Where I live now there is 1 car audio shop and the highest end brand they carry is JL Audio. An authorized shop that carries one high end brand is 40 minutes one direction and another shop with another high end brand was 40 minutes another direction. The shop I bought I ordered the hertz speakers from is 30 miles away from house. As much as I love to drive my corvette, it started becoming a pain going to all these places so far from each other. I guess it is the price I have to pay for living in a small town now vs a big city.
i could see where you made that choice. the JL c5 and ZR are the only ones worth considering and they each have issues. they aren't bad speakers they just aren't great speakers for what you're paying. the c2 and c3 are outclassed by quite a lot for the prices they are asking for them. i absolutely hate ordering speakers blind or online if i have not heard them. there is that guess on if you will like them. if you listened to one of the hertz sets in a car and bought the same set at least you know what you're getting and that you enjoy it
Old 05-06-2017, 08:41 AM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

JL XD700 amp
JL C5650
JL C5525
JL 10w stealthbox
Bitten Sound Processor
Pioneer 8200 HU
Hushmat in the doors and trunk

VERY happy with the sound.

Get notified of new replies

To My C6 Audio Project

Old 05-11-2017, 10:21 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

I'll be following this thread...thanks for sharing your project.
I just purchased a system from Dennis, with the same HU. It hasn't shipped yet, and I have to find an installer I like.
I choose:
Kenwood DMX7704S HU
Arc Audio 1100.5
Focal K2 components up front (at 150w each to woofer & tweeter)
Focal Auditor coax in rear (running off the HU's 40w per CH)
JL Stealth Sub Box (driven by 500w)
Back up cam (unsure of model, LOL)

Keep us posted!

Old 05-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

All parts are in but took longer than expected. Now I have out of town family coming in plus Mother’s Day this Sunday, this project is getting moved to next week.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:18 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Install complete

Head Unit: Kenwood DMX7704S

Bass **** where the cig lighter was

Amp: JL Audio RD900/5 (sorry, bad pic)

Subwoofer: JL Audio Stealthbox

I need to do some fine tuning as it seem the mid's are very harsh. Also there seems to be some quirks with the steering wheel controls. Mainly the phone pick up/hang up. It seems to want to use Onstar versus picking up the call through the radio.

Quick Reply: My C6 Audio Project