Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Audio/Navigation/Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 03:50 PM
jmeirhofer
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Audio/Navigation/Steering Wheel

I am reading some other threads about adding the steering wheel controls and think I have it but want to be sure. I have an 06 Base Z51 w/ 6sp Manual. I already have the following installed.

AVIC-7100NEX with back up camera. I intend to install a second camera on the front for curb parking.

To have steering wheel controls I am to understand I will need the steering wheel with the controls and the rp-gm11 from Pac Audio.

If that is all there is to it, the installation seems pretty straight forward. I plan to get a steering wheel with the phone controls on the left as well. Initially I had wanted to have those function as intended for calls but now I am not sure if I would not rather leave as is so I can source the camera from the steering wheel while parking or mute the radio at a drive up, etc.

I was also trying to understand the HUD function for Navigation. Will the rp-gm11 restore that function to the Heads Up display as well? The Pioneer head unit was in it when I purchased it so I have no idea if this function worked with the factory head unit or if it was available in 06 but would be a nice added bonus.

Still trying to find the power activation of the walk up circuit. The circuit that tells the car a fob is present and allows you the keyless entry.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:12 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeirhofer
I am reading some other threads about adding the steering wheel controls and think I have it but want to be sure. I have an 06 Base Z51 w/ 6sp Manual. I already have the following installed.

AVIC-7100NEX with back up camera. I intend to install a second camera on the front for curb parking.

To have steering wheel controls I am to understand I will need the steering wheel with the controls and the rp-gm11 from Pac Audio.

If that is all there is to it, the installation seems pretty straight forward. I plan to get a steering wheel with the phone controls on the left as well. Initially I had wanted to have those function as intended for calls but now I am not sure if I would not rather leave as is so I can source the camera from the steering wheel while parking or mute the radio at a drive up, etc.

I was also trying to understand the HUD function for Navigation. Will the rp-gm11 restore that function to the Heads Up display as well? The Pioneer head unit was in it when I purchased it so I have no idea if this function worked with the factory head unit or if it was available in 06 but would be a nice added bonus.

Still trying to find the power activation of the walk up circuit. The circuit that tells the car a fob is present and allows you the keyless entry.
I have the 7200 installed and here is what I used for steering wheel controls:
Old 05-11-2017, 11:13 AM
jmeirhofer
Racer

Thanks Blown, but that does not really answer my questions.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:07 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Sorry! It is an Axxess wireless remote steering wheel control that should interface with your 7100. This is a link to that product: https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...S7qxoCJN3w_wcB

It works great on my system so thought that might be a solution for you. I don't know if mine will control phone functions as I haven't tried it while using the phone. It says you can remap the button functions but not sure if it will do what you need it to. You may need a more sophisticated device. Sorry if this didn't answer all your questions.

Last edited by 02BlownZ06; 05-11-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:51 PM
jmeirhofer
Racer

Thanks but it is really not something I am looking for. I am purchasing a wheel with the controls in it already. The PAC Audio controller interfaces with them. I just want to make sure I have everything before I start taking things apart as this is my DD also.

Get notified of new replies

To Audio/Navigation/Steering Wheel

Quick Reply: Audio/Navigation/Steering Wheel