Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Parking Switch Wire

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 05:44 PM
BRAVO1
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Parking Switch Wire

Why would I need to connect the Parking Switch Wire on a Double Din install ???

Jim
Old 06-11-2017, 08:10 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

When your car is parked, it unlocks certain features that you can't use (or are locked) while in motion. For instance, like watching videos. You can't do it while driving. There are ways to by-pass this feature to make all options available at all times. You can research your model and "by-pass parking brake" and you should get some options. I know my Pioneer Nex has a built in secret menu to disable it so I didn't worry about it until after it was installed.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:51 PM
BRAVO1
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
When your car is parked, it unlocks certain features that you can't use (or are locked) while in motion. For instance, like watching videos. You can't do it while driving. There are ways to by-pass this feature to make all options available at all times. You can research your model and "by-pass parking brake" and you should get some options. I know my Pioneer Nex has a built in secret menu to disable it so I didn't worry about it until after it was installed.
Thanks I'll look that up...Also, I lived in Cedar Knolls when I worked for AT&T funny how small the world is and I bought my 99 C5 from a guy who lived down the road from the HQ Building for AT&T in Morris Couunty.

Jim
Old 06-11-2017, 09:23 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BRAVO1
Thanks I'll look that up...Also, I lived in Cedar Knolls when I worked for AT&T funny how small the world is and I bought my 99 C5 from a guy who lived down the road from the HQ Building for AT&T in Morris Couunty.

Jim

The world sure is small. I drive through Cedar Knolls everyday on my way to work. Usually Rt10 east to 287S.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:35 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Also you can check youtube for how to videos. Just type in for example "kenwood parking bypass". I know there is a relay you can purchase to bypass it.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:53 PM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Just ground the green wire.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:11 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TheProsecutor
Just ground the green wire.

It depends on the head unit. I think that just grounding the green wire works on some brands and head units but not on all. I had read somewhere when I was doing my install that just grounding the green wire wouldn't work on my Pioneer. If it's a Kenwood, you may have better luck but I'm not sure if it's the same with all Kenwood models. Found this youtube video for Kenwoods,
The following users liked this post:
BRAVO1 (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 09:43 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Also you can check youtube for how to videos. Just type in for example "kenwood parking bypass". I know there is a relay you can purchase to bypass it.
kenwood does not need a relay
ground parking brake wire is all
Old 06-12-2017, 09:44 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

It depends on the head unit. I think that just grounding the green wire works on some brands and head units but not on all. I had read somewhere when I was doing my install that just grounding the green wire wouldn't work on my Pioneer. If it's a Kenwood, you may have better luck but I'm not sure if it's the same with all Kenwood models. Found this youtube video for Kenwoods, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_VgAq4MR-E
NEX models with NAV you can ground the parking brake wire on Pioneer. YOu just have to finish the rest on the touch screen
Old 06-12-2017, 11:18 AM
BRAVO1
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Reverse For Backup Camera

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
NEX models with NAV you can ground the parking brake wire on Pioneer. YOu just have to finish the rest on the touch screen
Dennis in my haste to install the backup camera I forgot to run the power wire for the reverse lead on my JVC HU. I have finished all the insulation and put all the carpeting back and I could run a wire from the backup lights to the radio but is there a closer connection inside the car ?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 06-12-2017, 11:35 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Dennis in my haste to install the backup camera I forgot to run the power wire for the reverse lead on my JVC HU. I have finished all the insulation and put all the carpeting back and I could run a wire from the backup lights to the radio but is there a closer connection inside the car ?

Thanks,

Jim
nope
sorry
Old 06-12-2017, 04:03 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Thanks,

Jim
Hey Jim, I'm not sure I understand, but when I installed my camera I ran a video wire to the camera and then power wires from the camera to the reverse lights. That's it, I didn't run any power wires back to the radio.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:41 PM
BRAVO1
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Power Wire

Hey Jim, I'm not sure I understand, but when I installed my camera I ran a video wire to the camera and then power wires from the camera to the reverse lights. That's it, I didn't run any power wires back to the radio.
Torch,
I ran the camera power to the reverse bulb connection and the RCA plug back to the HU, but on the back of the JVC HU there is a wire for reverse which powers the video I believe....Dennis may chime in here but I thought it better to take the carpeting apart then to figure out where the hell the wire is in the engine compartment fuse panel.

Here's hoping everything will work still trying to figure out how to cut out the shelf in the radio/AC mount.

JIm
Old 06-12-2017, 09:59 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Torch,
I ran the camera power to the reverse bulb connection and the RCA plug back to the HU, but on the back of the JVC HU there is a wire for reverse which powers the video I believe....Dennis may chime in here but I thought it better to take the carpeting apart then to figure out where the hell the wire is in the engine compartment fuse panel.

Here's hoping everything will work still trying to figure out how to cut out the shelf in the radio/AC mount.

JIm

Jim, we all have that wire. It's not for power. It gets attached to the green wire on the wiring harness. That just sends a signal to the radio to change the input to the camera when you put it in reverse. What harness did you get? I used the Pac Audio RP5-GM11. Read Dennis's instructions, he mentions that you have to connect that wire yourself. I didn't use Dennis, but I saw his install thread.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:21 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Here is a picture,

Get notified of new replies

To Parking Switch Wire

Quick Reply: Parking Switch Wire