Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

HU Install Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 10:28 AM
BRAVO1
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default HU Install Issue

Need help with an install JVC HU works fine but a blue screen will appear then goes away and touch the screen and it goes back to the tuner I was listening to but will jump back to a blue screen....I think it's something in the rear camera hookup..I wired exactly as a forum member posted tot eh backup light circuit but something isn't right...need help please chime in tired of pulling this HU in and out....

Thanks,

Jim

1. JVC HU works fine.
2. A blue screen will appear as you are watching/listening to the Tuner.
3. Then goes away and if you touch the screen it goes back to the tuner screen.
4. It will then jump back to a blue screen in a few minutes.
5. Where do run the reverse lead on the back of the HU to engage the camera ??
6. I took power/ground from the reverse light wiring and the positive lead for the reverse hookup to the HU, is that wrong ?

Sorry if this is confusing but it's driving me crazy.....

Last edited by BRAVO1; 07-17-2017 at 04:46 PM. Reason: REWRITE
Old 07-17-2017, 02:29 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BRAVO1
Need help with an install JVC HU works fine but a blue screen will appear then a black box in the lower screen for rear camera comes on goes away and touch the screen and it goes back to the tuner I was listening to but will jump back to a blue screen....I think it's something in the rear camera hookup..I wired exactly as a forum member posted tot eh backup light circuit but something isn't right...need help please chime in tired of pulling this HU in and out....

Thanks,

Jim
Need some punctuation... Hard to decipher what is going on...
Old 07-19-2017, 04:24 PM
BRAVO1
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

I still need help here...please chime in.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:58 AM
BRAVO1
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

OK how are you supplying power to your Camera? Also, on the back of the HU is the reverse wire, where are you connecting that wire ?? Thanks.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:15 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Bravo, I have a C6 and I powered the camera through the reverse lights in the back of the car. I then ran the video rca wire to the back up camera from the head unit. I then hooked up the reverse wire, via the wiring harness. The reverse wire tells the head unit to switch input to camera when you put it in reverse. Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:33 PM
BRAVO1
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Where in wiring harness

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Bravo, I have a C6 and I powered the camera through the reverse lights in the back of the car. I then ran the video rca wire to the back up camera from the head unit. I then hooked up the reverse wire, via the wiring harness. The reverse wire tells the head unit to switch input to camera when you put it in reverse. Hope this helps.
Torch,
Where is the wiring harness I'm really wanting to settle this so I put the car together.....
Thanks,
Jim
Old 07-20-2017, 05:28 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

OK Bravo. I did a little research for you. It turns out accessing the reverse wire in the C5 is a little complicated since the reverse wire does not run into the cab anywhere. The easiest way to hook up the reverse wire in a C5 is to tap into the green wire going to one of your backup bulbs. Run that wire all the way back to the head unit and connect it to the reverse wire on the head unit. This will send a 12v signal to the head unit when you put it in reverse, telling it to switch the input to camera. Hope this solves your problems. Also, if you type in "C5 reverse wire" in the search box, some threads will come up. Good luck, let us know if you get it working .
Old 07-20-2017, 05:58 PM
BRAVO1
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Reverse Wire

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
OK Bravo. I did a little research for you. It turns out accessing the reverse wire in the C5 is a little complicated since the reverse wire does not run into the cab anywhere. The easiest way to hook up the reverse wire in a C5 is to tap into the green wire going to one of your backup bulbs. Run that wire all the way back to the head unit and connect it to the reverse wire on the head unit. This will send a 12v signal to the head unit when you put it in reverse, telling it to switch the input to camera. Hope this solves your problems. Also, if you type in "C5 reverse wire" in the search box, some threads will come up. Good luck, let us know if you get it working .
Torch,
That's what I did and I'm still experiencing the blue screen....Driving me crazy..I will try something I saw of Youtube by resetting the HU...Hope that works because JVC and Crutchfield's said it should have worked ..Anyway I'll let you know.
Jim
Old 07-20-2017, 06:26 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Is your reverse camera working? What happens when you disconnect the reverse wire, does the head unit work properly? If so, you may have to find another place to connect the reverse wire. I read somewhere that someone was having a problem with a small amount of voltage going through the reverse wires even when they were off, but it was enough to trigger his head unit's camera.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:43 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BRAVO1
Torch,
That's what I did and I'm still experiencing the blue screen....Driving me crazy..I will try something I saw of Youtube by resetting the HU...Hope that works because JVC and Crutchfield's said it should have worked ..Anyway I'll let you know.
Jim
So the video turns on when you shift to reverse but you simply get a blue screen? If so, then you have a video issue, not a power issue. How did you get the video RCA through the firewall? Did you need to cut it? Double check that connection. As a test, run a separate RCA patch cable from the HU to the camera output (straight, not through the firewall). Turn things on and drop into reverse... If video, you know that your splice isn't good. If no video, could be the camera or the output from HU. You can test those too...

Get notified of new replies

To HU Install Issue

Quick Reply: HU Install Issue