Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What class is this amp.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 12:16 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
amp wise? not a lot unless you spend. robert zeff of zapco designed those arc amps and he is one of the best car audio amp designers on the planet. he has a good ear. some of his earlier zapco amps like the z220-2 and z150 were stellar.

there is a very short list of good car amps made today. the best is an audison thesis. below that there are still good choices. you have a couple of them. mcintosh car audio is good but again it's older, may need a refresh just like the amazing phoenix gold zpa amps. linear power from the 90s is very pleasing to listen to. precisio'n powers power class from the early 2000s was good. remember those big black 3ft long tunnel amps. soundstream class A also from the 90s, excellent.

i guess for new it's really audison, arc, high end zapco, JL slash series, mosconi and that's about it. JL owns what i consider entry level hi-fi. the slash 300/4v3 is about $400 if you find a good shop. you'll pay double that for a mosconi as 100.4 or zapco z150 4ch. arc i haven't kept up on and the entry level audison isn't terrible. would like to back to back it against JL for low cost options to see what i think. the audison sr4 is a $400 amp. less powerful than a slash 300/4 but it's the same price category and didn't sound that bad when i heard one

speakers are where i'm nervous. you have morel and....ummm...well...not a lot else. dynaudio obviously but they are money, nothing on the low and mid level. focal is terrible unless they are in perfect enclosures and ran through a dsp. imagine dynamics and some of the others may have good mids/tweets but it's hard to find stores that carry them. so much retail is just big brands.

nelson pass from threshold. some of the best home amps ever made wrote a piece about this trend in audio. home audio mind you. the number of people willing to pay for quality in america is small and growing smaller. some of the bigger hi fi audiences are overseas. the fall of peerless and vifa along with other quality raw driver manufacturers a decade back wasn't by accident. with a DSP you can make a lot of things sound pretty good. speaker building is a dead hobby and car audio is dying on the aftermarket level as OEMs get better and there is SO much integration. car audio is alive in the low cost market right now. few hundred dollar systems sell but even my local morel dealer said he had to look at pricing on the hybrid and elate when i was curious since they rarely sell. that's kind of sad. everyone buys the entry level or mid level like the tempo ultra {which is a great speaker for the $$}
I think there may be other good amps out there that havent been mentioned and tried but most here in U.S. are buying what our seller's have or can get to us ...
Like how would a
TWISTER IVseries F4/650 sound ? From GT-trading. I bet no one on forum has ever heard of and this is just one of many...

Last edited by carls2004; 09-09-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:01 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by carls2004
I think there may be other good amps out there that havent been mentioned and tried but most here in U.S. are buying what our seller's have or can get to us ...
Like how would a
TWISTER IVseries F4/650 sound ? From GT-trading. I bet no one on forum has ever heard of and this is just one of many...
possible. but who wants to take the risk buying 10 junk amps to try and find one good one. same with mids and tweets. there may be other good ones out there but morel works, is easy to get and outperforms most
Old 09-09-2017, 04:20 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

possible. but who wants to take the risk buying 10 junk amps to try and find one good one. same with mids and tweets. there may be other good ones out there but morel works, is easy to get and outperforms most
Was just saying..
Can also search off this forum to possibly learn more on other amp's..
Old 09-09-2017, 05:07 PM
racebum
Race Director

Was just saying..
Can also search off this forum to possibly learn more on other amp's..
it's all either A. older or B. lower end

you can get great older amps. way more choices. use to be more of a focus on quality. today the quality amps are few

older amps however have their own issues 1. they are often large 2. they often need to be rebuilt. if a cap ever shorts it can take out all the speakers connected to that amp
Old 09-09-2017, 06:11 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

you can get great older amps. way more choices. use to be more of a focus on quality. today the quality amps are few

older amps however have their own issues 1. they are often large 2. they often need to be rebuilt. if a cap ever shorts it can take out all the speakers connected to that amp
Not sure if that may be 100% correct unless you had tried some of tho's other amp's.
Example could be the one i posted might be a kick *** unit ..and quality...
Old 09-10-2017, 04:52 PM
racebum
Race Director

Not sure if that may be 100% correct unless you had tried some of tho's other amp's.
Example could be the one i posted might be a kick *** unit ..and quality...
that's exactly what i was getting at "not sure" is the whole story

unless you have a few thousand to burn testing various products there is no way to tell

everything i have i was able to demo in vehicle and most in my own vehicle before purchase

without being able to do this i would never buy. who knows what you would get. may be okay, may be terrible.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:10 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Hey Kyle, any opinions on these bad boys? http://www.arcaudio.com/c/amplifiers_signature-edition
Old 09-11-2017, 03:23 PM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Tier 1 car amplifiers
http://mosconi-america.com/
http://www.arcaudio.com/
https://www.zapco.com/
Old 09-11-2017, 04:16 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by TheProsecutor
eh. have you heard some of the new zapcos? their high end Z line is still good but below that i would take a JL slash all day everyday.

also missing is the king. audison. their thesis is by a mile the best amp currently in production
Old 09-18-2017, 12:38 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

eh. have you heard some of the new zapcos? their high end Z line is still good but below that i would take a JL slash all day everyday.

also missing is the king. audison. their thesis is by a mile the best amp currently in production

The price on a Thesis is a little bit insane though.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:22 PM
BlackMoon
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I have some JL Audio and PPI amps I'm wanting to sell. Message me if interested.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:35 AM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by 02BlownZ06
The price on a Thesis is a little bit insane though.
it totally is

but they are currently the best car amps made

some people pay for the very top
Old 01-28-2018, 12:39 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

I did a impulse buy.. I gotta stop it... lol BUT at 300.00 dollars and new ....
GT Trading F4 / 650 Twister amp... Made in Italy
This is pic from internet.. But mine is on the way....
Attached Images  

Last edited by carls2004; 01-28-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:32 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

mmmmm,, Fred & Sound posted to me on Y.T. that the twister f4/650 will be so much better than my older Boston GT-42 made bye GT TRADING...
Old 01-29-2018, 05:38 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

if it's tied to fred & sound i would ask them. those guys have good ears. if they like it i would heavily weigh that opinion
Fred & Sound got back to me on youtube as i have a twister F4-650 on the way (impulse bye) lol . And said it should/will be so much better than the Boston GT-42... But time will tell..
Old 01-30-2018, 10:32 PM
06nine
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Audison’s Voce line isn’t bad either. Their 5.1 amp combined with a bit10d impressed me. Impressed me so much, I bought that combination along with their speakers and a Hertz sub. All digital. No detectable noise. It was professionally installed in a ‘12 Camry by MCOR. Its hard to put into words how great it sounded. I really miss that system & would buy it all over again, but the c7 seems like a lousy arena for something that nice (any thoughts on this?!)...
Old 04-24-2018, 04:27 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

My GT Trading F4 / 650 Twister amp. is in the car all all seems pretty well and very satisfied with it...
Only small flaw i had was when i went to tighten down allen set screw for speaker wires,, as they started to strip.
Upon further examination i see if you dont use a heavy speaker wire at the output side of amp the allen set screw will go down past most of the threads and not tighten down... I almost ruined the threads. Seemed a little cheap at the speaker connections.... But a quick fix would be longer set screw's..
Old 04-26-2018, 02:16 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D

I am currently running the JL Audio RD 900/5 which is a full range 5 channel class D amp. And while I think overall it is a good amp, it does not compare to what I had in my 2005 corvette which was the JL Audio 300/4 (class A/B) and JL Audio 500/1 (class D). I love those slash series amp but they come at a price. If I picked up those same slash series amps today it would have easily been double the cost of the RD 900/5.
This is the EXACT setup I have right now and I wouldn't trade it. I paid almost $800 a piece back in 08 when I bought them and they're still going strong. Have had them in 4 different vehicles now. Class D all day on subs, A/B for everything else...especially multichannel.

Last edited by Pb82 Ronin; 04-26-2018 at 02:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
carls2004 (04-26-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 07:44 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Just a little updated info... My F4/650 Twister Amp from GT Trading is sounding sweet...
And now i up the sound by replacing my Image Dynamic's XS-65 speakers with STEG ST650C and they seem so much better than the I.D.. - I can actually set my High pass filter on my deck below 80h and the speakers will dig down nicely.. Where as the I.D. were best if you didnt set your high pass filter lower than 80h.. But i kinda knew that when i bought them..
Also the tweet's on the STEG sound so smooth and detailed...

Last edited by carls2004; 05-01-2018 at 07:47 PM. Reason: info

Quick Reply: What class is this amp.