Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Opinion on Subs

Old 08-09-2017, 09:13 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Opinion on Subs

I am getting prep'd to do the sub install in my '06 coupe.

Problem... the existing subs I have, JL Audio 8W7s, are positively massive and require a huge box, nearly 1CF and at least 8" deep to go with the 10" square... so huge...

I am looking at a pair of JL Audio 10TW3-D4 or one JL Audio 12TW3-D4.

Doing the math, I figure I can build a sub box that is the width of the cabin, about 6" high and 14" deep, with space for the amps between the subs. And still have clearance for the hard top, or, luggage.

I have a Pioneer 600 watt 1 ohm stable mono amp, so power is not a problem.

thoughts?
Old 08-10-2017, 03:39 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

thoughts?

the 8w7 is a great driver. 1cu/ft is not a large box. if you want output it takes volume. if you don't an 8w3v3 plays well in .4-.45cu/ft and only requires 200w

i'm not a fan of shallow subs

a single 8w7 in a qtc 707 alignment and 600w will provide ample bass in a coupe. you don't need "subs" if space is a concern. you could fit a 10w6v3 in a box as small as .75cuft and not have the Q climb too badly or limit output. qtc 707 happens at .91cuft on a 10w6v3

in general a smaller driver in a larger box will sound better than a larger driver in a smaller box

Last edited by racebum; 08-10-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:53 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Is there a reason you want to use a shallow mount sub? I have no personal experience with the TW3 series from JL as I have not heard them myself as most people don’t buy shallow mounts when it is not needed.

I am not sure what pioneer amp you have but if you say it is 600w @ 1 ohm then I would assume it is 300w @ 2 ohms. With that power rating, you can pick up the JL stealth box that is preloaded with the JL 10W1v3-2 which is a 300w 2 ohm sub. I have the JL stealth box in my C6. Sounds good and doesn’t take much space away from the trunk and you can still store the top.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:48 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Is there a reason you want to use a shallow mount sub? I have no personal experience with the TW3 series from JL as I have not heard them myself as most people don’t buy shallow mounts when it is not needed.

I am not sure what pioneer amp you have but if you say it is 600w @ 1 ohm then I would assume it is 300w @ 2 ohms. With that power rating, you can pick up the JL stealth box that is preloaded with the JL 10W1v3-2 which is a 300w 2 ohm sub. I have the JL stealth box in my C6. Sounds good and doesn’t take much space away from the trunk and you can still store the top.
that's a good point actually. if it's one of those "hopefully" 600w amps at 1ohm it might be 300w at 2ohms and a w1 or w3 would be perfectly fine in a stealth box and it would look great
Old 08-16-2017, 08:40 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Well, the sub amp is a Pioneer GMD8601, apparently, they claim 800 watts at 1 ohm.

I have no way of testing it to confirm the accuracy of said amp, it does work well and seems to have the *****.

I was thinking of the shallow mount subs because, well, it's new and perhaps worth trying. Sure, it defies a lot of the expected norms, but gee, so does a lot of modern tech.

I do like the idea of the stealth box... looks like a nice fit.

I think I will see what I can do to fit the 8W7's. Those are intense...

thanks for the feedback, I will give you all an update shortly.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:48 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

I ran the 10Tw3 in my old car along with a fosgate T1. Truth be told I actually prefer the JL shallow mount, shallows have gotten a lot better than they used to be and I was limited on space at the time anyway. I don't listen to a lot of hip hop mainly just rock so I like have a clean firm punch but not a whole lot of really deep lows so the shallow works very well for that but they can still go pretty low if you get a decent one like a JL or alpine.

Over all the 10tw3 was a great sub but it def won't replace your current ones. I actually just finished up installing the JL 13tw5 in my c6 and it's honestly my favorite sub to date
Old 08-17-2017, 01:22 PM
racebum
Race Director

that's also a good point. if you listen to rock all you really need is a midbass. hardly any rock songs dip below 50hz-ish

EDM, rap, hip hop, classical, country, all these can dip into the 20s

imo a rock music system is a bit of a different setup. you can often operate the subs in smaller boxes since a higher Q punchy type bass is actually prefered by a lot of people
Old 08-18-2017, 02:24 PM
bogus
Team Owner

I would say that rock bottoms out at 35 hz...

I can't say I have seen country go down into the 20s... Classical can. So can some prog rock - Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes - they play with synths and bass pedals.

Organ, particularly pipe organs, can go way down low.

I am going to do some measuring... see what I can make fit. I have some ideas and I want to tinker with.

That or I will go with a shallow sub.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:45 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by bogus

I can't say I have seen country go down into the 20s... Classical can. So can some prog rock - Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes - they play with synths and bass pedals.

I am going to do some measuring... see what I can make fit. I have some ideas and I want to tinker with.

make it fit

i was just thinking off the top of my head. 98% of what i listen to is house. trance, edm, like a trip to ibiza rolling down the street.

getting a car stereo to do classical right would be something. you have this HUGE dynamic range and so many reflections which alter the sound of the instruments.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:17 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
that's also a good point. if you listen to rock all you really need is a midbass. hardly any rock songs dip below 50hz-ish

EDM, rap, hip hop, classical, country, all these can dip into the 20s

imo a rock music system is a bit of a different setup. you can often operate the subs in smaller boxes since a higher Q punchy type bass is actually prefered by a lot of people
People that don't know what they are listening to more than likely. I can't stand 100 Hz and up mid bass esp if you can't get much lower and/or it is boosted up. I listen to a ton of rock and you would be surprised, there is a lot of content that can get down into the 30's at times.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:18 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by bogus

I would have to agree with these comments 100%.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:20 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by racebum
make it fit

i was just thinking off the top of my head. 98% of what i listen to is house. trance, edm, like a trip to ibiza rolling down the street.

getting a car stereo to do classical right would be something. you have this HUGE dynamic range and so many reflections which alter the sound of the instruments.
Ok, well we certainly have different musical tastes. I have not listened to much of that stuff at all! Agree with the classical comments. That is some of the most demanding stuff to reproduce accurately.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinion on Subs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinion on Subs