Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 10:44 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Default Can you?

I have a 2009 Z06 and would like to get a newer radio, one with car play etc. but my son got one and his smart phone works fine for him in the car (2008 Z06) but whomever he's talking to gets horrible reception. It's all gurgles, hisses and roars. So now to the question:
Can I get a good radio and still keep the phone electronics intact? Not have them go through the added radio?

My guess is not but if you know let me know. Thanks
Old 10-15-2017, 03:41 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

That's not a radio issue. That might be a microphone issue. I have installed the Kenwood DMX7704S which has CarPlay and I can talk to people just fine in the car. Also don't know how your son's radio is hooked up so there could be an issue on the way everything was installed. But I love CarPlay. Talking to Siri is infinitely better than voice commands on the stock corvette radio. By that I mean it actually works and works well.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:59 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Originally Posted by Homer3D
That's not a radio issue. That might be a microphone issue. I have installed the Kenwood DMX7704S which has CarPlay and I can talk to people just fine in the car. Also don't know how your son's radio is hooked up so there could be an issue on the way everything was installed. But I love CarPlay. Talking to Siri is infinitely better than voice commands on the stock corvette radio. By that I mean it actually works and works well.
Yes, my son can talk to people just fine when he's in the car, it's the person listening to him that can't understand what is being said. So to be clear when you say "I can talk to people just fine in the car" does that mean they can also hear you just fine? Are you sure, some people will just ignore bad reception and accept it.

Thanks you your input.

PS the installer was professional and has been doing installs for many years so I blame the equipment.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:35 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,634 Likes on 1,119 Posts

I have an aftermarket Pioneer head unit and get no complaints about the bluetooth.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:32 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

I'm really being **** but no one has actually verified that the person being talked to via your radio's Bluetooth is actually getting to the listener not in the car clearly while the car is running (motor on). Most of the time if it's not clear the listener is too polite to say anything.
I don't want to have a radio installed and have to deal with what my son has so I'm being very very careful.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:42 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,634 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
I'm really being **** but no one has actually verified that the person being talked to via your radio's Bluetooth is actually getting to the listener not in the car clearly while the car is running (motor on). Most of the time if it's not clear the listener is too polite to say anything.
I don't want to have a radio installed and have to deal with what my son has so I'm being very very careful.
Most people might try to be polite but friends and family will usually not be shy to tell you if they can't hear you well. In my case, my wife would definitely make a complaint and she never has. And just to verify, I just asked her if she noticed any drop in quality when I speak to her on the phone from the Vette and she says she never noticed anything.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 10-15-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:33 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
Depending on the manufacturer, when you connect your iPhone to a CarPlay enabled radio it does not use bluetooth for hand free calling. In fact, on my radio, when I connect my iPhone a message pops up stating it is disabling it. It does this in favor of using a wired connection. Since I am physically connecting my iPhone via USB the radio will use that to make calls. So what you are left with a basically a wired microphone setup.

I have always had issues with other cars with bluetooth calling. Either they can't hear me or I can't hear them, or both. Not once have I had this issue with CarPlay. I have no issues hearing them and they have no issues hearing me.

This is why I said it my first reply that I think it is microphone issue. Either a bad mic or poor install.

Here is a screen shot from the manual from my radio stating it does not use bluetooth when connected via CarPlay.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:19 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Thanks for the replies. When I get a unit I will looks for plug in for my phone as well as disabling the Bluetooth on the radio when I desire.

Last edited by LawrenceFromTorrance; 10-16-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you?

Quick Reply: Can you?