Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Top Options for Touch Screen Upgrade with Rear Camera

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 02:40 AM
tjaved22
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Options for Touch Screen Upgrade with Rear Camera

Hey all, I'm new to the C6 community and want to upgrade from the stock touch screen.

Looking for touch screen upgrades that include:
-Apply car play
-Rear camera compatibility
-Low glare

Please mention if there are any other things to consider when upgrading.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2018, 02:42 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

For low glare, look for a head unit with a capacitive touch screen.

Crutchfield has the Kenwood DDX9904s for sale for $500 while supplies last. The DDX9905s is the newer model and goes for $900.

I would suggest Alpine or Kenwood for their sound quality. Kenwood has a good mixture of features and sound.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:50 PM
VinceC5
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 282 Posts

I agree with torchredfred. I've installed several of the 9903s, plus finally doing my own car. Great quality sound.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:00 PM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Alpine iLX-207.
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-29-2018, 05:12 AM
tjaved22
Advanced

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred

Crutchfield has the Kenwood DDX9904s for sale for $500 while supplies last. The DDX9905s is the newer model and goes for $900.

I would suggest Alpine or Kenwood for their sound quality. Kenwood has a good mixture of features and sound.
Thanks for the suggestion, is there a way to connect the steering wheel controls? And what backup camera would work best with this?
Old 07-29-2018, 10:01 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tjaved22
Thanks for the suggestion, is there a way to connect the steering wheel controls? And what backup camera would work best with this?
Yes you can still use your steering wheel controls if you use the correct wiring interface. The Pac Audio RP4-GM11 or the RP5-GM11 with steering wheel control retention. These will connect to the wires from your new head unit and will pretty much make the new head unit plug and play. The steering wheel controls with the Pac harness have a default pre-programmed setting and you need to reprogram the phone answer and disconnect buttons to work as intended. I think the default setting are set as mute and source for the phone buttons.

For the back up camera, I used the Pyle PLCM38FRV. I got it from Amazon for about $17. Works great with no issues. The cameras are pretty much universal if they use a video jack to connect to the head unit. Just look for the style of camera you prefer to use.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:08 PM
tjaved22
Advanced

Yes you can still use your steering wheel controls if you use the correct wiring interface. The Pac Audio RP4-GM11 or the RP5-GM11 with steering wheel control retention. These will connect to the wires from your new head unit and will pretty much make the new head unit plug and play. The steering wheel controls with the Pac harness have a default pre-programmed setting and you need to reprogram the phone answer and disconnect buttons to work as intended. I think the default setting are set as mute and source for the phone buttons.

For the back up camera, I used the Pyle PLCM38FRV. I got it from Amazon for about $17. Works great with no issues. The cameras are pretty much universal if they use a video jack to connect to the head unit. Just look for the style of camera you prefer to use.
Thank you so much for your reply! I'm really new to this, are there any step by step instructions to install this? Would I need another specific bracket to make the touch screen fit flush with the space in the C6? And what wiring harnesses would I need to get the touch screen to connect with the cars steering wheel and cars performance settings? I've been checking Amazon but I don't want to buy anything I don't need.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:17 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm really new to this, are there any step by step instructions to install this? Would I need another specific bracket to make the touch screen fit flush with the space in the C6? And what wiring harnesses would I need to get the touch screen to connect with the cars steering wheel and cars performance settings? I've been checking Amazon but I don't want to buy anything I don't need.
Copied and pasted from one of my previous posts:

Here is all the stuff I bought for my install. The Pac Audio harness/interface works with and/or without Bose systems. The installation gear is the same regardless of what brand head unit you buy. In my case I went with the Pioneer 8200nex. I got the head unit and all the installation gear from Amazon.

1- Pac Audio RP5-GM11 wiring harness with steering wheel controls (RP4-GM11 is also compatible and an alternative to the RP5)
2- Metra 95-3304 double din face plate
3- Sirius XM SXV300v1 tuner (optional if you want Sirius XM) and Sirius XM 10ft antenna ext. cable (if u want to re-use factory antenna)
4- Pyle PCNM38FRV back up camera (was only $17 but works great)
5- A pack of crimp style cap connectors 22/18 gauge and a crimp plier (since I didn't have one)

You can re-use the existing XM antenna with the cable mentioned but I just want to mention that my SiriusXm reception still stinks.

Do it yourself thread with pictures done by former forum audio vendor:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...is-to-diy.html
Old 08-24-2018, 10:03 PM
grady
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

What’s the difference between the 4s and 5s?
Old 08-24-2018, 11:29 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by grady

What’s the difference between the 4s and 5s?
For the DDX9904s vs 9905s, the biggest difference is the screen resolution. The 9905s has a much improved screen, 1280x720 for the 9905s vs 800x480 for the 9904s.

Here is a video comparing the screen differences, although it is a little difficult to get the full effect over the video.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:28 PM
tjaved22
Advanced

I've been hearing about Dennis, any idea which Dennis people are referring to?

For audio parts, maybe even other car parts.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2018, 09:47 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

I've been hearing about Dennis, any idea which Dennis people are referring to?

For audio parts, maybe even other car parts.

Thanks!

Dennis (Double D Mods) was the forum audio vendor until his business ran into trouble and he left a lot of forum members waiting for paid goods that they were never going to receive. There is a link to one of his threads in post #8.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:00 PM
anth115
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Is anyone using this receiver (AVH-601EX) with an iPhone?
I am hearing that AppRadio One is no longer compatible with iOS 12/iPhone X, but not enough info to confirm so far.

Get notified of new replies

To Top Options for Touch Screen Upgrade with Rear Camera

Quick Reply: Top Options for Touch Screen Upgrade with Rear Camera