Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C5 Convertible Best DD for Sun

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 09:33 PM
VetteLooking
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Default C5 Convertible Best DD for Sun

All,
I did a double din console mod a few years ago on the 2000. Head unit was a Parrot Asteroid that I rooted and put on a bunch of apps. I really liked it except the last software update added some features but slowed it down quite a bit.

I could roll back the software update, but would have to reroot. This took some time to get exactly like I wanted. Additionally, it was never very good in bright sun. I added a matte screen antiglare sheild that helped, but was still not great.

Anyone have a suggestion for a DD that is great at fighting the sun in a convertible? Does a tilt screen work very well? What are the options? I can give up an Android based unit, but would want Android Auto if that were the case.

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:10 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

A tilting screen plus a capacitive touch screen. Still won't be perfect but it will help and be your best option.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:38 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 70 Posts

I have a new Kenwood with both features, they help but still hard to see the screen in direct sun. Love the headunit but I don’t think there is magic screeen
for diect sun
Old 11-28-2018, 10:28 PM
VetteLooking
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks.

I figured there is no perfect solution. Unfortunately I drive with the top down 95% of the time. I will check out Kenwood.

Out of curiosity, what makes capacitive screens better than resistive with this regard? I know the advantages for use, but did not know there would be a difference for sun.

Last edited by VetteLooking; 11-28-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:26 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VetteLooking
Thanks.

I figured there is no perfect solution. Unfortunately I drive with the top down 95% of the time. I will check out Kenwood.

Out of curiosity, what makes capacitive screens better than resistive with this regard? I know the advantages for use, but did not know there would be a difference for sun.
Brighter and more vibrant colors along with better resolution. Also resistive typically has at least 1 or 2 layers of film or thin plastic covering the display making it more difficult to see to begin with.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:58 AM
rjwvetttt
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I went with the Pioneer AVH4200NEX and love it.
Living on the sun coast of Florida I have the top down a lot and this system work and looks great.
By the way it is a resistive screen with anti-glare and motorized to move angle.
Pioneer priced at $700 but bought new on Newegg for $330.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:40 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Callaway DrDon
I have a new Kenwood with both features, they help but still hard to see the screen in direct sun. Love the headunit but I don’t think there is magic screeen
for diect sun
I agree. It helps but like you said not perfect. It's hard to outshine the sun.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Convertible Best DD for Sun

Quick Reply: C5 Convertible Best DD for Sun