Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

A/B amp or class D ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 10:58 PM
Brewdog
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A/B amp or class D ?

I'm considering an A/B amp for mids/highs versus a class D amp. I've read that the class A/B amps are less efficient but deliver a more realistic or lifelike reproduction of the music versus the "sterile" or "uninspiring" sound of a class D amplifier. Please add your thought and experiences if you have any, I'd love to hear them.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:44 PM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

A/B for mids and highs. Class D for subs.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:15 AM
Brewdog
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheProsecutor
A/B for mids and highs. Class D for subs.
That's what I think too, however almost every mainstream amp manufacturer is going or has gone class D on their multi-channel amps. I'd rather do a 3 channel or 5 channel amp for simplicity and weight savings but for better sound quality is looks like doing one class A/B for mids/highs and then a separate class D amp for a sub will net you the best sound quality.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:23 AM
TheProsecutor
Racer

I run Mosconi AS for amplifiers. Other decent brands are Arc Audio, Zapco and JL Audio, in decending order.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:46 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

It depends more on the circuit design and power supply than whether it is class A/B or D. A good class D will sound better than a marginal A/B, and a good A/B will sound better than a marginal D. Class D has the advantage of greater efficiency (less waste heat) and, depending on construction, can be physically smaller. Those factors may be important or not. You'll do better relying more on reputation and listening to various amplifiers if you can find somewhere to audition them. Keep in mind that you'll get much better sound with a good DSP/tune than the difference in amplifiers.

Last edited by DWillys; 12-17-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:19 AM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Originally Posted by DWillys
you'll get much better sound with a good DSP/tune than the difference in amplifiers.
I agree. That is reason why I also run a Helix DSP.2 also. Other good DSPs include Mosconi, Arc, JL, and Dayton Audio, once again, in that descending order.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:44 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I went with the Morel 5 channel amp. Got it from Crutchfield. The front and rear channels are AB while the sub channel is D.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_210MPS...5_amp&skipvs=T
Old 12-28-2018, 11:54 AM
IJCOBRA
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If you can actually hear a difference in a car environment, with road noise, wind noise, and a roaring V8, you must have superman hearing.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:55 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,664 Posts

^ When I went from a modern-era class D two channel amp powering my mains to an old-school class A/B and the sound was obvious and crystal clear.

Current setup:

Old 12-29-2018, 01:24 PM
IJCOBRA
Advanced

I guarantee you can do a blind test with a $75 set of Pioneer 6.5" speakers against a thousand dollar set of Focal 6.5 speakers and half the people would say the Pioneer is better. It would probably be louder too. Most people don't even like the sound of flat/neutral music aka "true musical reproduction".

There are a hundred other factors when swapping an amp than just if it is D or AB. Gain settings the same? Wattage? Crossovers? All these can effect what you perceive is good or bad. And what we think sounds good can change by the day as well! Audio is black magic and completely subjective.

Last edited by IJCOBRA; 12-29-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:13 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

If comparing apples to apples on quality, in other words looking at just the higher end amps, class AB on the mids and D on the subs is the way to go. Class A/B sound better to me. They may be larger and less efficient but my priority is sound quality at either lower or higher SPL's over all else. The sound reproduction is more lifelike and audiophile clean.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:13 PM
IJCOBRA
Advanced

Originally Posted by samsonb
I've been looking at getting a single DIN Kenwood head unit. And getting that small Alpine 445U Class D amp which puts out 45W. I don't know if that small amp will be a noticeable improvement or not compared to just running off the Kenwood head unit at 22W.
About 3 dB, or "the smallest difference in level that is easily heard by most listeners listening to speech or music."

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...oubling-Output

Get notified of new replies

To A/B amp or class D ?

Quick Reply: A/B amp or class D ?