Notices
Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Alpine speakers

Old 01-27-2019, 11:39 AM
iw172
CF Senior Member

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Alpine speakers

R-S65C 6-1/2” and 3-1/2’s anyone here have these? considering these in my doors. I’ve already upgraded the HU w/Pioneer. thanks...

Last edited by iw172; 01-27-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:35 AM
iw172
CF Senior Member

well, thanks anyway. gonna purchase soon. I’ll post my thoughts afterwards. gotta be better than the Bose...
Old 02-02-2019, 01:13 AM
Mr31FlavorsVette
CF Senior Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I was hoping someone would offer feedback on your question too as I'm installing a Pioneer Avic-8400 NEX. A lot of people hype the JL speakers, but Alpine and Pioneer get good reviews as well, so it may come down to price.
The following users liked this post:
iw172 (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 11:01 AM
iw172
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mr31FlavorsVette View Post
I was hoping someone would offer feedback on your question too as I'm installing a Pioneer Avic-8400 NEX. A lot of people hype the JL speakers, but Alpine and Pioneer get good reviews as well, so it may come down to price.
good choice on your HU. I have the AVH 2330 NEX. I can’t wait to do the install...
Mr31FlavorsVette (02-03-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 05:17 PM
GCG
CF Senior Member

Received 383 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by iw172 View Post
R-S65C 6-1/2” and 3-1/2’s anyone here have these? considering these...
I was hoping someone would offer feedback on your question too... ...A lot of people hype the JL speakers, but Alpine and Pioneer get good reviews as well, so it may come down to price.
For this to be rewarding, quality sound has to go hand-in-hand with loudness. Replacement speakers not only need to be well designed, but they need to be able to extract the maximum possible power from the headunit's amps and also have good sensitivity, otherwise the perceived results tend to be unsatisfying.

Most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms, which immediately put them at a disadvantage to the 2 ohms impedance of the OEM Bose twiddlers: they just can't extract the same amount of power from the amps.

The other aspect is sensitivity. When your available power is at a premium, having a more sensitive speaker is important. It means it will sound louder at the same power level than a less sensitive speaker.

The OEM Bose twiddlers are plain-cone (paper) speakers and the C5 doesn't have any real tweeter, so the goal is to find a quality 2-way coaxial with good sensitivity and as close to 2 ohms as possible.

Considering all that, the JBL GX Series @ 2.3 ohms and sensitivity between 89db and 92db, is an excellent replacement. These speakers have a soft dome tweeter, which should deliver a smooth sound with a wide dispersion pattern. Add to that the Harman-Proprietary Tweeter Deflector, that according to JBL "acts as a waveguide, allowing for an angled, rotating speaker, which optimizes the off-axis sound performance. Because all cars are designed differently, this allows impeccable sound to travel throughout all locations in the cabin".

JBL GX Series 2-way car speakers:
  • GX302 (3½")
  • GX502 (5¼")
  • GX602 (6½")

Last edited by GCG; 02-03-2019 at 09:32 AM.
saxtech (03-28-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 12:53 AM
Mr31FlavorsVette
CF Senior Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by GCG View Post
For this to be rewarding, quality sound has to go hand-in-hand with loudness. Replacement speakers not only need to be well designed, but they need to be able to extract the maximum possible power from the headunit's amps and also have good sensitivity, otherwise the perceived results tend to be unsatisfying.

Most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms, which immediately put them at a disadvantage to the 2 ohms impedance of the OEM Bose twiddlers: they just can't extract the same amount of power from the amps.

The other aspect is sensitivity. When your available power is at a premium, having a more sensitive speaker is important. It means it will sound louder at the same power level than a less sensitive speaker.

The OEM Bose twiddlers are plain-cone (paper) speakers, so the goal is to find a quality 2-way coaxial with good sensitivity and as close to 2 ohms as possible.

Considering all that, the JBL GX Series @ 2.3 ohms and sensitivity between 89db and 92db, is an excellent replacement. These speakers have a soft dome tweeter, which should deliver a smooth sound with a wide dispersion pattern. Add to that the Harman-Proprietary Tweeter Deflector, that according to JBL "acts as a waveguide, allowing for an angled, rotating speaker, which optimizes the off-axis sound performance. Because all cars are designed differently, this allows impeccable sound to travel throughout all locations in the cabin".

JBL GX Series 2-way car speakers:
  • GX302 (3½")
  • GX502 (5¼")
  • GX602 (6½")
Thanks for the info. Do you have these installed and, if so, how much better are they than the stock speakers? How would you compare the JL Audio's that are referenced in several threads to these? I also read the post about fitment issues with the JL 6.5" speakers, any input on the fitment of the JBL's. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to make the best decision when I get my system installed on the 16th. I've been searching and reading as many reviews as I can on the various speakers, but the ratings differ so much from one site to another

I'm surprised by comments that state they couldn't tell the difference between the Bose and the aftermarket speakers or it wasn't worth the money to change them out...Decisions, decisions...
iw172 (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 11:47 AM
GCG
CF Senior Member

...how much better are the JBLs than the stock speakers? How would you compare the JL Audio's that are referenced in several threads to these? I also read the post about fitment issues with the JL 6.5" speakers, any input on the fitment of the JBL's...

...I'm surprised by comments that state they couldn't tell the difference between the Bose and the aftermarket speakers or it wasn't worth the money to change them out...
I haven't been able to compare them in an audition, but I could venture an educated guess :
  • JL Audio Evolution™ C2 Series 2-way car speakers: Silk dome tweeter, mineral-filled polypropylene cone. Impedance: 4 ohms.
    • C2-350X (3½")
      • Sensitivity: 83 db
    • C2-525X (5¼")
      • Sensitivity: 89 db
    • C2-650X (6½")
      • Sensitivity: 91 db
  • JBL GX Series 2-way car speakers: Soft Dome Tweeter, Polypropylene Cone Woofer. Impedance: 2.3 ohms.
    • GX302 (3½")
      • Sensitivity: 89 dB
    • GX502 (5¼")
      • Sensitivity: 91dB
    • GX602 (6½")
      • Sensitivity: 92 dB

They're both high quality 2-way coaxials with very similar design and construction, so their sound shouldn't be dramatically different, but because of their lower impedance and higher sensitivity the JBLs should play louder than the JLs.

Regarding installation fitment and feedback of the JLs and the JBLs, check this Post.

Perception is very subjective, but there are certain hard facts that can't be ignored.

The C5 OEM speakers do not include any real tweeter. Bose used 4 plain-cone (paper) speakers to handle high and mid frequencies and called them "twiddlers" . That's why a substantial improvement can be achieved by just replacing them with a 2-way coaxial design.

Last edited by GCG; 02-04-2019 at 11:09 AM.
saxtech (03-28-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 10:09 AM
run1fsr
CF Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GCG View Post
I haven't been able to compare them in an audition, but I could venture an educated guess :
  • JL Audio Evolution™ C2 Series 2-way car speakers: Silk dome tweeter, mineral-filled polypropylene cone. Impedance: 4 ohms.
    • C2-350X (3½")
      • Sensitivity: 83 db
    • C2-525X (5¼")
      • Sensitivity: 89 db
    • C2-650X (6½")
      • Sensitivity: 91 db
  • JBL GX Series 2-way car speakers: Soft Dome Tweeter, Polypropylene Cone Woofer. Impedance: 2.3 ohms.
    • GX302 (3½")
      • Sensitivity: 89 dB
    • GX502 (5¼")
      • Sensitivity: 91dB
    • GX602 (6½")
      • Sensitivity: 92 dB

They're both high quality 2-way coaxials with very similar design and construction, so their sound shouldn't be dramatically different, but because of their lower impedance and higher sensitivity the JBLs should play louder than the JLs.

Regarding installation fitment and feedback of the JLs and the JBLs, check this Post.

Perception is very subjective, but there are certain hard facts that can't be ignored.

The C5 OEM speakers do not include any real tweeter. Bose used 4 plain-cone (paper) speakers to handle high and mid frequencies and called them "twiddlers" . That's why a substantial improvement can be achieved by just replacing them with a 2-way coaxial design.
Hello,

I'm just starting the installation of sound deadening and sound insulation in my '99 Vert. Thought that I would replace my stock speakers while the car is apart.

Regarding the better choice of JL vs. JBL ... appears the 2.3 ohm rating of the JBL's are closer to the stock speakers. I am keeping the stock Delco head unit, so would the JBL's not be the better choice? My understanding is that correct ohm rating is important when matching speakers to a system.

Your thoughts / comments please.

Thank you
Old 05-07-2019, 10:38 AM
GCG
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by run1fsr View Post
...Regarding the better choice of JL vs. JBL ... appears the 2.3 ohm rating of the JBL's are closer to the stock speakers. I am keeping the stock Delco head unit, so would the JBL's not be the better choice? My understanding is that correct ohm rating is important when matching speakers to a system...
For this upgrade to be rewarding, quality sound has to go hand-in-hand with loudness. Replacement speakers not only need to be well designed, but they need to be able to extract the maximum possible power from the headunit's amps and also have good sensitivity, otherwise the perceived results tend to be unsatisfying.

The OEM Bose twiddlers are plain-cone (paper) speakers and the C5 doesn't have any real tweeter, so the goal is to find a quality 2-way coaxial with good sensitivity and as close to 2 ohms as possible.

These JLs and JBLs are both high quality 2-way coaxials with very similar design and construction, so their sound shouldn't be dramatically different, but because of their lower impedance and higher sensitivity the JBLs should play louder than the JLs. The JBLs are the better choice for this application.
run1fsr (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 11:06 AM
run1fsr
CF Senior Member

Cool / Thank You
Old 05-07-2019, 03:15 PM
Budwise

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wups wrong thread.

Last edited by Budwise; 05-07-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:16 PM
run1fsr
CF Senior Member

Ordered my JBL speakers and Metra connectors today
Old 05-09-2019, 01:10 AM
GCG
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by run1fsr View Post
Ordered my JBL speakers and Metra connectors today
@run1fsr Please, let us know what you think when you're done. In the meantime, take a look at this independent review so you know what to expect.

NOTE: It is very important to make sure the new speakers are in phase with each other, and more importantly, in phase with the door subwoofers. Otherwise, you might experience sound cancellation, resulting in tinny sound and lack of presence. Take a look at this Post for more details and tips on how to proceed.

The Metra adapters for the rear speakers should take care of that for you, but the factory connectors for the "front" OEM Bose 3½" twiddlers are "spade" ones and they do follow Bose's standard, which is the opposite of what aftermarket manufacturers use.

To properly connect your new front speakers, you will need to cut the factory spade connectors and crimp new ones following the "normal" standard (reversed in relation to Bose), or create your own adapter harnesses if you don't want to cut and crimp the front OEM wires

Last edited by GCG; 05-09-2019 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:46 PM
run1fsr
CF Senior Member

Speakers arrived today. If they sound as good as they look I will be quite happy. Going to be awhile, as I'm chipping away at the sound insulation project, but I will give an honest review once install is complete. Thanks again for the helpful info

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alpine speakers

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: