Sponsored by:

Door Speaker Upgrade ... or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:10 PM
cmjuhl
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jjc508520
I replaced my front and rear twiddlers. The sound is now a bit "tinny" - I think this is because the rear speakers I got are 2-way and boost the high-frequency too much. What's needed is a rear speaker with a bit more punch...

What series speakers did you purchase, I am looking at the JBL GX series.
The problem your having (tinny sound) is why I am on the fence about doing the speaker upgrade?
I plan on adding Killmat sound deadener to my inner door panels,which should help.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-22-2019, 07:07 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by cmjuhl
What series speakers did you purchase, I am looking at the JBL GX series.
The problem your having (tinny sound) is why I am on the fence about doing the speaker upgrade?
I plan on adding Killmat sound deadener to my inner door panels,which should help.

Thanks in advance
Sound deadening the wheel wells stops a lot of road noise.....
The following users liked this post:
cmjuhl (02-26-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 12:29 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by cmjuhl
...The problem your having (tinny sound) is why I am on the fence about doing the speaker upgrade...
This may very well be the result of sound cancellation. This problem happens when there are speakers out of phase with each other in the same listening environment and it is most noticeable at lower frequencies. The resulting sound is weak and lacking in the medium to bottom end.

Perception is very subjective and in the end it is a matter of personal preference, but there really is no reason to end up with worse low end frequency response unless the new speakers are inferior than the plain cone Bose twiddlers... and that's almost impossible

When replacing the OEM Bose twiddlers with aftermarket speakers, unless special attention is given, the likelihood of ending up with out of phase speakers is significant.

This is because although Bose does use the same narrow/wide spade terminals in its speakers as other manufacturers do, they don't follow the common standard and the polarity of their speaker terminals is REVERSED in relation to the aftermarket ones.

Take a look at this Post for more details and how to avoid it.

Last edited by GCG; 02-23-2019 at 12:32 PM.
cmjuhl (02-26-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 03:51 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

You can easily put any 6x9s of your choice in the doors.
All you have to do is gut the grilles and put them behind on the back of the speaker
to space it out so it clears the power window track.
The door panel fits fine lots of clearance.

To go with the 1200 watts rms from the old school Rockford Punch amps I'm currently running an Audiobahn sub with premium Hertz 6x9s in the doors and 3.5s in the back and volume adjustable tweeters at the top of the A pillars.

The cheap 50.00 high power 350 watts rms Pyles finally wore out after having them in various vehicles for 18 years when one died so I upgraded to the premium quality 300.00 Hertz HCX 690s

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 09-27-2020 at 04:21 AM.
tommie (07-29-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 12:17 PM
LTCHAPPA
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Door speaker upgrade

If the original speakers are not blown out I would not change them.The Bose system in the Vette is not very good to start.I did the whole system replacement.Doing small upgrades never made me happy. Alpine head, Alpine component front speakers and rear speakers. Alpine 4 channel amp and a small powered subwoofer. I had my system installed by a pro and it is a seemless install.The sound is as loud as you want and very clean.The Alpine is very good quality and it’s been in my Vette vert for over 10 years with no issues.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:52 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by LTCHAPPA
If the original speakers are not blown out I would not change them.The Bose system in the Vette is not very good to start.I did the whole system replacement.Doing small upgrades never made me happy. Alpine head, Alpine component front speakers and rear speakers. Alpine 4 channel amp and a small powered subwoofer. I had my system installed by a pro and it is a seemless install.The sound is as loud as you want and very clean.The Alpine is very good quality and it’s been in my Vette vert for over 10 years with no issues.
Mine is loud, clear and thumping with the top down at 100
Old 03-01-2019, 09:14 PM
JimHarris4
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Dirty little secret about speakers

Dirty little secret about speakers. After my five way bypass, I couldn't bend under the dash to install anything.
I researched everywhere and everything, and came up with an alpine head unit and four speakers. I found out my local Best Buy does an install of head unit for $69. Lifetime guarantee and they'll pull it out for free if I sell the car. The speakers were $39 install. Now I have everything I need from USB to iPhone call play.
My installer was a great guy. Very happy and very glad I didn't try and get underneath there to deinstall and reinstall.
FreedomFighter (02-13-2020)
Old 03-28-2019, 05:26 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by GCG
Remember that with this kit you can make the rears upgrade plug-and-play. One kit will do both rears.
So does the Metra wiring adapter kit reverse the Bose wiring so that + becomes + at the aftermarket speakers connections?​​​​
Or do the + and - still need to be reversed at the aftermarket speakers connections?
Old 04-14-2019, 11:32 AM
retiredff
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GCG
Bose does use the same narrow/wide spade terminals in its speakers as other manufacturers do, BUT they don't follow the common standard and the polarity of their speaker terminals is REVERSED in relation to the aftermarket ones.

Pay attention to the + and - signs in ALL speakers terminals and, for example, use a red permanent marker to identify the + wire in each speaker before unplugging or desoldering anything. Then make sure your new connections are done keeping the CORRECT polarity
Damn! I found this post AFTER installing the JBL 5 1/4" speakers in the back of my vert. The OEM speakers don't have + or - on the connections so I guess the wiring would tell me. Can u remember if there is a black wire in the speaker connection and I can assume that is neg '-''? Any other way to tell?
I didn't notice much difference in sound but did notice the rears sounded weak and I didn't change any of the controls.
I haven't replaced the door speakers yet but will when I remove my interior to sound deaden and insulate.

THX

Tony
Old 04-14-2019, 12:02 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by retiredff
Damn! I found this post AFTER installing the JBL 5 1/4" speakers in the back of my vert. The OEM speakers don't have + or - on the connections so I guess the wiring would tell me. Can u remember if there is a black wire in the speaker connection and I can assume that is neg '-''? Any other way to tell?...
-Rear OEM wiring:
  • Right:
    • (+) -> DK BLU
    • (-) -> LT BLU
  • Left:
    • (+) -> BRN
    • (-) -> YEL

If you used the
Metra wiring adapter Metra wiring adapter
when you installed the rear replacements, you're probably fine.

Click here for more details.

...I didn't notice much difference in sound but did notice the rears sounded weak and I didn't change any of the controls...
You may want to click here for a review of the JBL GX Series 2-way coaxials like yours to compare.

Last edited by GCG; 04-14-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:24 PM
kemosabe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Just changed my vert's twiddlers to Infinity Kappa 300M's, and retained the Bose subs, what a difference!!!!, changed the the rear 5-1/4" to Infinity REF-5032CFX's, Great sound.

Last edited by kemosabe; 07-12-2019 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:31 PM
retiredff
Advanced

Yep, I used the metra adaptors.

I haven't had much of a chance to test out the sound but I will. Thanks for the wiring colors.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2019, 01:51 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

If you can afford it, just replace the whole system. The sound difference is amazing. Bose=sucks.

The following 2 users liked this post by knewblewkorvette:
red03vette (11-05-2019), SDSummey (03-03-2024)
Old 04-14-2019, 02:21 PM
retiredff
Advanced

WOW! I bet that cost a pretty penny, but I'll stick with the crappy bose with upgraded speakers for a while anyway.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:43 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

...I haven't replaced the door speakers yet but will when I remove my interior to sound deaden and insulate...
When you install your front 3½" JBL speakers you will have to replace the OEM spade connectors with new ones because they are reversed, or create your own adapter harness.

...I haven't had much of a chance to test out the sound but I will. Thanks for the wiring colors...
My pleasure!

When you do, it would be great if you could come back and post your impressions

Last edited by GCG; 04-14-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:39 PM
retiredff
Advanced

so u r saying my current connections are for sure reversed?

I will post my results.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:46 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

so u r saying my current connections are for sure reversed?...
What I'm saying is that the factory connectors for the "front" OEM Bose 3½" twiddlers are "spade" ones and they do follow Bose's standard, which is the opposite of what aftermarket manufacturers use.

I was just giving you a heads-up for the future, so you can be prepared when you go to replace your front twiddlers: you will need to cut those spade connectors and crimp new ones following the "normal" standard (reversed in relation to Bose), or create your own adapter harnesses if you don't want to cut and crimp the OEM wires

Your current connections are fine now because they are correct for the current speakers.

Last edited by GCG; 04-14-2019 at 06:52 PM.
jrprich (05-07-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Door Speaker Upgrade ... or not?

Old 04-14-2019, 09:52 PM
retiredff
Advanced

OK GCG thanks.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:17 PM
Budwise
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 55 Posts

I installed the GX302's and 502's yesterday and can say I'm quite impressed with the improvement. The install was straight forward and there was no fitment issues in my Z06. The sound is significantly more detailed and brighter but an even better improvement is the fact that you can turn them up louder before running into distortion. The OEM speakers were terrible and if you wanted to turn them up loud enough to hear your music while the windows are down it would just fall apart in a distorted mess. These hold up quite well at louder volumes and I can finally listen to my music and enjoy it with the windows down on the highway.

I actually went to Best Buy and heard the GX series compared to some Kickers, Alpines, and Kenwoods and the GX actually sounded the best, especially when run off of head unit power and not an amp.

Hard to beat for ~$100!
The following 3 users liked this post by Budwise:
ArmchairArchitect (05-13-2019), FreedomFighter (02-13-2020), Varilux (07-30-2023)
Old 05-07-2019, 05:25 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Budwise
I installed the GX302's and 502's yesterday and can say I'm quite impressed with the improvement...

...Hard to beat for ~$100!
@Budwise Thank you for taking the time to come back and provide feedback about your experience. Not many people do that, and it's the only way to help each other.

Great review. To the point, and addressing the aspects that people usually want to know.

Last edited by GCG; 05-08-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Door Speaker Upgrade ... or not?