Notices
Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Kenwood DDX 9905s

Old 03-02-2019, 11:41 AM
crusher1
CF Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Kenwood DDX 9905s

Hi guys I am installing the Kenwood head unit and have a few questions, just started wiring up the Kenwood and PAC RP5-GM11 harness. I have the factory Bose NAV

Question 1. the Light Green Parking SW wire will go to ground ?(tie it into the Kenwood(black). PAC (black).

2. The Orange White strip(illum) Kenwood and PAC connect together but does that need to be connected to the traction control harness I saw former Vendor Dennis from DD posted that he connected this way from proper dimming of the radio, not sure if we need to do this?

.3. The blue Ant Cont(antenna) is this being connected ? and to where? ...on the pac harness the blue in the instructions says Not Used

BTW I have and front and rear cameras I will be hooking up(font is a Pyle Camera and the rear is a Pomile Camera.

Thanks

Last edited by crusher1; 03-02-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:38 PM
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member

Received 447 Likes on 377 Posts

Grounding the parking brake
Old 03-02-2019, 06:43 PM
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member

The blue antenna wire doesn't need to be connected but if you like you can put the blue and the blue/white together. They both do the same thing which is send out a 12v signal when the head unit is on. I believe I read somewhere that the C6 picks up the antenna signal from another source and that is why the antenna wire is not necessary.

For the illumination wire, I just connected the orange/white wires together and that was it.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 03-02-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:43 PM
crusher1
CF Senior Member

Thanks TorchRedFred....So the green Prk SW wire I just tied it into the ground black wires from the harnesses which should be ok or should I connect it to the back of the deck like the video shows?

Another question: The front and rear cameras I have already installed them an ran the wires to the passenger foot well for now until I install the head unit later on. For the rear camera can I tie the power wire(red) into the red(Ignition wire) of the Kenwood harness or do I need to connect it to the reverse light wire at the rear of the car?. The front camera I will connect the power wire to the fuse panel in the passenger foot well to a switched source with a fuse tap.

Last edited by crusher1; 03-02-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:26 PM
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by crusher1 View Post
Thanks TorchRedFred....So the green Prk SW wire I just tied it into the ground black wires from the harnesses which should be ok or should I connect it to the back of the deck like the video shows?

Another question: For the rear camera can I tie the power wire(red) into the red(Ignition wire) of the Kenwood harness or do I need to connect it to the reverse light wire at the rear of the car?
Either way should work for both of your questions. With the parking brake wire, some models have them in the harness while some models have a wire coming from the head unit itself. If it is part of your harness, it's easier to just attach it to the ground wire. For the back up camera, if you run power wires to the head unit the camera will always be on when your head unit is on. If you run wires to the reverse lights, the camera comes on when the car is put in reverse. Either way is fine.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:05 PM
VinceC5
CF Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If your cameras have night vision LEDs, then connect the power at the reverse lights. Or else the lights will be on when the car is on.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:50 PM
crusher1
CF Senior Member

Thanks again .....Yeah I want it to turn on only when in reverse so I will probably tap into the reverse lights(I thought there might be a wire on the harness on the deck the same as tapping into the rear reverse lights)--oh well.... The front I have no choice as I will connect it to switched source in the fuse panel so it will always be on when the car is on but not a problem.

Last edited by crusher1; 03-02-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:25 PM
crusher1
CF Senior Member

Another question: on the Brown Loop(Mute Loop) wire on the PAC harness do I need to cut this or leave it alone? I have Onstar in my car but never have used it and I am not subscribed
Old 03-05-2019, 12:44 AM
VinceC5
CF Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Another question: on the Brown Loop(Mute Loop) wire on the PAC harness do I need to cut this or leave it alone? I have Onstar in my car but never have used it and I am not subscribed
leave as is. no need to connect the mute wire on the head unit.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:08 AM
crusher1
CF Senior Member

Thanks Vince
Old 03-22-2019, 09:33 PM
crusher1
CF Senior Member

Well I finally got my Kenwood DDX 9905s installed. Wow what a awesome system!. Its like night and day compared to the factory unit.

Last edited by crusher1; 03-22-2019 at 09:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
j3studio (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 03:02 PM
stevesvette
CF Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice. Congrats on a successful and good looking install. How did you upload your splash screen and background images? DVD or from the USB?
Old 03-23-2019, 03:39 PM
crusher1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by stevesvette View Post
Very nice. Congrats on a successful and good looking install. How did you upload your splash screen and background images? DVD or from the USB?

From a usb stick. Here are the instructions for the DDX 9905s another forum member posted:

Instructions for DDX9905s

Since the 9905s is so new, the instructions floating around the net don’t work for it, after 2 days of trial and error I was able to figure this out. The 9905s has a High Def screen, the pixel ratio is better. So in order to get the boot image changed to what you want do as follows:

Using Pixelformer load up your image, change the image properties (set the width at 1280 and height at 720, set the target color to RGB color (24 bpp), click ok, click export, rename image to image1 (make sure it is .bmp format), when the bmp options box pops up set this to R5:G6: B5 (16bpp), click ok.

Now you have the picture formatted correctly and able to be loaded onto usb along with the OpeningCustomize .txt file. Make sure image name matches the image name in the .txt file. Put radio in Standby mode, tap the top left twice, tap the bottom left twice, tap the top left once, tap the bottom left once. This will open the menu needed. Then insert USB stick with files on it. (make sure files are placed in the root of the usb, don’t put them inside folders). Tap startup image and it will add the photo on the usb. Restart radio and there you have it

Here is Pixelformer: https://pixelformer.en.softonic.com/
Attached Files
File Type: txt
OpeningCustomize.txt (58 Bytes, 18 views)

Last edited by crusher1; 03-23-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:16 PM
tjaved22

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you replace lace the cigarette lighter in the arm rest. I bought the 2 USB adapter to replace it with but couldnít get the cigarette lighter to come out.

Also, just installed my Kenwood Unit last night, havenít put it back together yet because it keeps restarting if moved at some angles. Any idea why this happens? I donít want to hit s bump and it restarts.

Well I finally got my Kenwood DDX 9905s installed. Wow what a awesome system!. Its like night and day compared to the factory unit.

Old 04-28-2019, 03:37 PM
stevesvette
CF Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tjaved22 View Post
How did you replace lace the cigarette lighter in the arm rest. I bought the 2 USB adapter to replace it with but couldnít get the cigarette lighter to come out.

Also, just installed my Kenwood Unit last night, havenít put it back together yet because it keeps restarting if moved at some angles. Any idea why this happens? I donít want to hit s bump and it restarts.
tj, learn from my mistake and don't put it back together till you chase down the intermittent. I didn't and had to pull it apart again to chase down a bad connection/connector on the interface module. Made "most connections most of the time" but would drop speakers or phase over bumps, turns, etc. on occasion.

I initially ordered the whole kit from Crutchfield and they sent me a full replacement of EVERYTHING and told me to replace what was needed and send the rest back including the failed harness. They even paid shipping both ways and allowed 30 days to troubleshoot and repair. All good in the end, but I got way too experienced in pulling the console and HU in and out! Good luck, hope it's a simple fix.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:59 PM
crusher1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by tjaved22 View Post
How did you replace lace the cigarette lighter in the arm rest. I bought the 2 USB adapter to replace it with but couldn’t get the cigarette lighter to come out.

Also, just installed my Kenwood Unit last night, haven’t put it back together yet because it keeps restarting if moved at some angles. Any idea why this happens? I don’t want to hit s bump and it restarts.

Hi,

With the console removed there are tabs holding in it in I pushed the tabs and it popped out..Was a pain in the butt but it will come loose.

Take a look at this thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...te-switch.html

also Here is some photos by Ray Kawal...Half way down the page take a look

http://www.kawal.net/centerconsole.htm

As for the restarting, it could be your PAC connectors not seated properly. The connectors can come loose when installing everything back. Bad design by PAC, I tie wrapped all my connectors on the PAC just to be safe since I read these connectors can pop out. I had no issues and everything worked like a charm the first install. If that doesnt help then it could be your PAC unit is defective.

Last edited by crusher1; 04-29-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:17 PM
hmmmm16417
CF Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

From a usb stick. Here are the instructions for the DDX 9905s another forum member posted:

Instructions for DDX9905s

Since the 9905s is so new, the instructions floating around the net donít work for it, after 2 days of trial and error I was able to figure this out. The 9905s has a High Def screen, the pixel ratio is better. So in order to get the boot image changed to what you want do as follows:

Using Pixelformer load up your image, change the image properties (set the width at 1280 and height at 720, set the target color to RGB color (24 bpp), click ok, click export, rename image to image1 (make sure it is .bmp format), when the bmp options box pops up set this to R5:G6: B5 (16bpp), click ok.

Now you have the picture formatted correctly and able to be loaded onto usb along with the OpeningCustomize .txt file. Make sure image name matches the image name in the .txt file. Put radio in Standby mode, tap the top left twice, tap the bottom left twice, tap the top left once, tap the bottom left once. This will open the menu needed. Then insert USB stick with files on it. (make sure files are placed in the root of the usb, donít put them inside folders). Tap startup image and it will add the photo on the usb. Restart radio and there you have it

Here is Pixelformer: https://pixelformer.en.softonic.com/
good info!!! I have the ddx9904s and assume it's the same?
Old 05-01-2019, 01:50 PM
crusher1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by hmmmm16417 View Post
good info!!! I have the ddx9904s and assume it's the same?

Yes I am pretty sure its the same..
Old 05-07-2019, 10:52 PM
Fast one
CF Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Where did you connect the illumination wire?
Old 05-08-2019, 08:22 AM
crusher1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fast one View Post
Where did you connect the illumination wire?

For the illumination wire, I just connected the orange/white wires together and that was it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kenwood DDX 9905s

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: