Notices
Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

2010 c6 base .. what double din to get??

 
Old 03-30-2019, 07:49 PM
  #1  
Kenny Hammond
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jan 2019
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 337
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 2010 c6 base .. what double din to get??

Looking into upgrading the radio wanting a radio to play Bluetooth pandora and google map for a navigation. I am a pioneer fan. And suggestions ?
Kenny Hammond is online now  
Old 03-31-2019, 01:34 AM
  #2  
madsonp
CF Senior Member
 
madsonp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Billings Montana
Posts: 753
Received 153 Likes on 112 Posts
Default

I have the Pioneer AVIC 8200 NEX in mine, it's a great system, they've since came out with the AVIC W8500 NEX which is their latest and greatest, it's their top of the line system, not cheap but packed full of features. https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P.../AVIC-W8500NEX
madsonp is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 02:01 AM
  #3  
Kenny Hammond
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jan 2019
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 337
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Dont need the top of the line but want to have backup camera Map Bluetooth ( map can be from the phone not navigation system )

Originally Posted by madsonp View Post
I have the Pioneer AVIC 8200 NEX in mine, it's a great system, they've since came out with the AVIC W8500 NEX which is their latest and greatest, it's their top of the line system, not cheap but packed full of features. https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P.../AVIC-W8500NEX
Kenny Hammond is online now  
Old 03-31-2019, 05:04 AM
  #4  
olelucky
CF Member
 
olelucky's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2003
Location: HOT SPRINGS ARKANSAS
Posts: 96
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

I recently installed the Pioneer 2440 NEX. Has all the features I was looking for. Carplay was the most important to me. I also wanted ability of front and rear cameras. I did install both cameras as well. Very pleased with this unit.

Last edited by olelucky; 03-31-2019 at 05:05 AM.
olelucky is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 06:27 AM
  #5  
Kenny Hammond
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jan 2019
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 337
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Awesome just the help help I was looking for. Can see pics of camera locations?

Originally Posted by olelucky View Post
I recently installed the Pioneer 2440 NEX. Has all the features I was looking for. Carplay was the most important to me. I also wanted ability of front and rear cameras. I did install both cameras as well. Very pleased with this unit.
Kenny Hammond is online now  
Old 03-31-2019, 08:28 AM
  #6  
Boostedsvt
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2018
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 257
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Default

Iíve got the 4200, the price wasnít much more than the 2400 series. I absolutely love it! Didnít do the front camera but did do the rear. Itís license plate mounted

Last edited by Boostedsvt; 03-31-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Boostedsvt is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 10:37 AM
  #7  
CrystalRedTed
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2017
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 243
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kenny Hammond View Post
Dont need the top of the line but want to have backup camera Map Bluetooth ( map can be from the phone not navigation system )
Another vote for the Pioneer AVIC 8200 NEX. I have the Pioneer AVIC 8201 NEX, which includes a parking camera. The unit can support two for front and rear coverage. The 8500 NEX is the latest and greatest. The 8400 NEX is the 2018 model where wireless CarPlay was first added. These 8xxx models have the capacitive screen, which tends to be easier to see and more responsive. Even if you don't need Nav features, the screen is still a big plus. Like you I tend to mostly use my phone for navigation. However, in remote areas where you might not have cell service it can be nice to have built in maps. Before I had this unit I was driving over Tail of the Dragon. I couldn't re-route due to no cell coverage. The 8xxx also have the ability to adjust the display viewing angle, which can help a lot with glare. I believe other models can also do this, but you have to check the specs.

The 8400 and 8500 don't show as compatible with the C6 on the Crutchfield site. I seem to recall some discussion about this previously and it was something that could be worked around. Definitely something to confirm.

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 03-31-2019 at 10:50 AM.
CrystalRedTed is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 11:07 AM
  #8  
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member
 
TorchRedFred's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: Morris County New Jersey
Posts: 2,288
Received 449 Likes on 379 Posts
Default

The Pioneer fanboys beat me here. I own a Pioneer 8200nex and I have a hard time recommending Pioneer. They are loaded with features but their sound quality lags behind other major brands like Kenwood, Alpine, and even Sony. If sound quality is important, I would look at one of the other brands mentioned, imo. I have no blind loyalty to any one brand. I use to hate Kenwood for their sound and years ago had a great Pioneer, but since then Kenwood has improved their SQ to compete and be at least on par with Alpine, which has a long history and reputation of good sounding head units. My recommendation would be to look at a Kenwood if shopping today.
TorchRedFred is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 11:20 AM
  #9  
CrystalRedTed
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2017
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 243
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred View Post
The Pioneer fanboys beat me here. I own a Pioneer 8200nex and I have a hard time recommending Pioneer. They are loaded with features but their sound quality lags behind other major brands like Kenwood, Alpine, and even Sony. If sound quality is important, I would look at one of the other brands mentioned, imo. I have no blind loyalty to any one brand. I use to hate Kenwood for their sound and years ago had a great Pioneer, but since then Kenwood has improved their SQ to compete and be at least on par with Alpine, which has a long history and reputation of good sounding head units. My recommendation would be to look at a Kenwood if shopping today.
i ended up with a Pioneer, but wouldnít call myself a fanboy. Other brands may be good too, but I havenít tested them myself and Iím not going to recommend something I havenít used myself. Have you been able to do any A-B compares in the same car between brands? Of course at some level this can become subjective anyway.
CrystalRedTed is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 12:08 PM
  #10  
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member
 
TorchRedFred's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: Morris County New Jersey
Posts: 2,288
Received 449 Likes on 379 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CrystalRedTed View Post
i ended up with a Pioneer, but wouldnít call myself a fanboy. Other brands may be good too, but I havenít tested them myself and Iím not going to recommend something I havenít used myself. Have you been able to do any A-B compares in the same car between brands? Of course at some level this can become subjective anyway.
I have years ago in another car and I will say that a head unit with good SQ makes a big difference. As far as my C6, I have changed everything but the head unit because I was reluctant to give up on what was the top of the line Pioneer. I changed all my speakers and amp for a second time trying to fix my sound complaints to no avail. There was small improvements but the overall sound didn't really change. I then added a DSP to my system to change the sound coming out of the Pioneer and that was enough to satisfy me and I have been pretty happy with the sound since. I know sound can be subjective, but certain brands also have a well deserved reputation for sound quality, and Pioneer hasn't been one of those especially as of late. I thought buying the top of the line Pioneer would give me their best sounding unit, not realizing that their units sound pretty much the same across the board regardless of price point. That is also true for most brands, but like I said some have a better reputation and a higher emphasis on sound quality.
TorchRedFred is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 12:27 PM
  #11  
CrystalRedTed
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2017
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 243
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred View Post
I have years ago in another car and I will say that a head unit with good SQ makes a big difference. As far as my C6, I have changed everything but the head unit because I was reluctant to give up on what was the top of the line Pioneer. I changed all my speakers and amp for a second time trying to fix my sound complaints to no avail. There was small improvements but the overall sound didn't really change. I then added a DSP to my system to change the sound coming out of the Pioneer and that was enough to satisfy me and I have been pretty happy with the sound since. I know sound can be subjective, but certain brands also have a well deserved reputation for sound quality, and Pioneer hasn't been one of those especially as of late. I thought buying the top of the line Pioneer would give me their best sounding unit, not realizing that their units sound pretty much the same across the board regardless of price point. That is also true for most brands, but like I said some have a better reputation and a higher emphasis on sound quality.
Thanks. I was just curious. I found that leaving the NPP exhaust open fixes most audio system problems.

My system is good, but I donít consider it perfect either. I found that adding a sub got it close enough for my taste. I also use the optional mic and let the system auto adjust. After that I adjust the sub and lows to my taste. I can do a bit better manual if I fiddle. Seems like most modern head units should have enough adjustability to get where you want. In my case I still have the factory amp which I believe adds itís own color to things as well.
CrystalRedTed is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 01:09 PM
  #12  
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member
 
TorchRedFred's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: Morris County New Jersey
Posts: 2,288
Received 449 Likes on 379 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CrystalRedTed View Post
Thanks. I was just curious. I found that leaving the NPP exhaust open fixes most audio system problems.

My system is good, but I donít consider it perfect either. I found that adding a sub got it close enough for my taste. I also use the optional mic and let the system auto adjust. After that I adjust the sub and lows to my taste. I can do a bit better manual if I fiddle. Seems like most modern head units should have enough adjustability to get where you want. In my case I still have the factory amp which I believe adds itís own color to things as well.
The Pioneer didn't bother me as much when I was still running the factory amp and speakers. At that point it was still an improvement in sound over the stock head unit. The problems with sound quality became more apparent as I started to upgrade the rest of the system and imo, it wasn't coming close to reaching my expectations.
TorchRedFred is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 04:23 PM
  #13  
Kenny Hammond
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jan 2019
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 337
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Do you have any models to consider?

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred View Post
The Pioneer fanboys beat me here. I own a Pioneer 8200nex and I have a hard time recommending Pioneer. They are loaded with features but their sound quality lags behind other major brands like Kenwood, Alpine, and even Sony. If sound quality is important, I would look at one of the other brands mentioned, imo. I have no blind loyalty to any one brand. I use to hate Kenwood for their sound and years ago had a great Pioneer, but since then Kenwood has improved their SQ to compete and be at least on par with Alpine, which has a long history and reputation of good sounding head units. My recommendation would be to look at a Kenwood if shopping today.
Kenny Hammond is online now  
Old 03-31-2019, 08:49 PM
  #14  
olelucky
CF Member
 
olelucky's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2003
Location: HOT SPRINGS ARKANSAS
Posts: 96
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default


front camera

Rear camera
olelucky is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 09:29 PM
  #15  
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member
 
TorchRedFred's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: Morris County New Jersey
Posts: 2,288
Received 449 Likes on 379 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kenny Hammond View Post
Do you have any models to consider?
It depends on what features you want and what price range you are looking at. Lots of good choices and they should all sound good. If I was shopping today, I would strongly consider the DDX9905s.
TorchRedFred is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 09:34 PM
  #16  
Kenny Hammond
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jan 2019
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 337
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Awesome I will have to look into it. Do you use the camera for parking and how does it work while driving or parking

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred View Post
It depends on what features you want and what price range you are looking at. Lots of good choices and they should all sound good. If I was shopping today, I would strongly consider the DDX9905s.
Kenny Hammond is online now  
Old 03-31-2019, 09:56 PM
  #17  
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member
 
TorchRedFred's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: Morris County New Jersey
Posts: 2,288
Received 449 Likes on 379 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kenny Hammond View Post
Awesome I will have to look into it. Do you use the camera for parking and how does it work while driving or parking
Most models you have to purchase a back up camera separately. I purchased a Pyle PLCM38FRV model off Amazon for about $17. Works great. I went only with a back up camera, but having one is a must-do mod if adding a head unit, imo. Once you do the wiring and install for your head unit, the back up camera comes on automatically when you put it in reverse. Very easy to do. OleLucky posted the pictures of his front and rear camera. To OleLucky, looks good!
TorchRedFred is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 10:01 PM
  #18  
Kenny Hammond
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jan 2019
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 337
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Yes sir. Sorry I tagged you when I meant it for his question. But I agree. Just was curious how well the front bumper camera came in handy.

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred View Post
Most models you have to purchase a back up camera separately. I purchased a Pyle PLCM38FRV model off Amazon for about $17. Works great. I went only with a back up camera, but having one is a must-do mod if adding a head unit, imo. Once you do the wiring and install for your head unit, the back up camera comes on automatically when you put it in reverse. Very easy to do. OleLucky posted the pictures of his front and rear camera. To OleLucky, looks good!
Originally Posted by olelucky View Post

front camera

Rear camera
Kenny Hammond is online now  
Old 03-31-2019, 10:14 PM
  #19  
CrystalRedTed
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2017
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 243
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kenny Hammond View Post
Yes sir. Sorry I tagged you when I meant it for his question. But I agree. Just was curious how well the front bumper camera came in handy.
The front camera is handy, but not as important as the rear. If you know you need to get close to a curb or a wall I find it useful. Most other times the car is short enough that it doesn't matter if you end up a foot or two from the curb. Here's a test view of my front cam in the garage. I have a front license plate so I mounted mine next to it. It's offset to the passenger side since that side would be harder to see from the driver's seat.


CrystalRedTed is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 10:48 PM
  #20  
Kenny Hammond
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jan 2019
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 337
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Thats pretty cool. I can see where it can come in handy but not a have to have

Originally Posted by CrystalRedTed View Post
The front camera is handy, but not as important as the rear. If you know you need to get close to a curb or a wall I find it useful. Most other times the car is short enough that it doesn't matter if you end up a foot or two from the curb. Here's a test view of my front cam in the garage. I have a front license plate so I mounted mine next to it. It's offset to the passenger side since that side would be harder to see from the driver's seat.

Kenny Hammond is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 c6 base .. what double din to get??


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: