Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking for someone that lives in a big city with the aftermarket XM tuner

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 11:48 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,171 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Madsonp, I ordered one of those splitters the XM antenna. I may try to give it a shot. Ordering it and getting it installed soon may be 2 different things though. I'll let you results when and if I get it done.
Cool, thanks for letting me know, I'll be looking forward to your report.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:10 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Got my connectors today so I could make a single cable v.s. the two cable set up I had before to connect my Pioneer to the factory GPS antenna, so now I went from this.

To this.

The following users liked this post:
mikeCsix (02-14-2024)
Old 07-27-2019, 10:01 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I have four more of these I made up, so if you have a Pioneer and wanna use the stock GPS antenna, shoot me a PM and we'll talk turkey.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:14 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Madsonp, I received my splitter the other day and got it installed today. I also reactivated my XM account for my C6 and took the car out for a ride to test it out. Unfortunately for me the results were not good. It didn't seem as if there was any improvement in reception for me. For the first couple minutes after leaving my home, the reception seemed perfect and I started to get optimistic that the splitter was going to solve my reception issues, but my optimism didn't last long. I'm not sure why my reception is so poor in my C6 but I can't seem to get through a single song without multiple drops. Makes it unusable for me which is contrary to my daily driver where I listen to Sirius/Xm about 90 percent of the time and only occasionally do I ever lose signal. I don't want to discourage anyone else from giving it a try, but for me it didn't seem to make an improvement. Hopefully someone else with reception issues can try it and give us their results.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:33 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Madsonp, I received my splitter the other day and got it installed today. I also reactivated my XM account for my C6 and took the car out for a ride to test it out. Unfortunately for me the results were not good. It didn't seem as if there was any improvement in reception for me. For the first couple minutes after leaving my home, the reception seemed perfect and I started to get optimistic that the splitter was going to solve my reception issues, but my optimism didn't last long. I'm not sure why my reception is so poor in my C6 but I can't seem to get through a single song without multiple drops. Makes it unusable for me which is contrary to my daily driver where I listen to Sirius/Xm about 90 percent of the time and only occasionally do I ever lose signal. I don't want to discourage anyone else from giving it a try, but for me it didn't seem to make an improvement. Hopefully someone else with reception issues can try it and give us their results.

Sorry to hear that Fred, can I asked where you were driving when trying it out ? Were you in a large city ? Or were you in a more rural setting ? It's my understanding the terrestrial transmitters are only located in large metropolitan areas, and I'm sure have a limited range that's limited to those areas, so if you weren't driving in one of those areas, the terrestrial antenna probably isn't going to do you much good, same with myself being in Montana, here we have a few (and very few I might add) what you'd probably call small cities (but they're large by Montana standards) where the buildings can block the signal. The city I'm in (Billings) which happens to be the largest city in Montana with a population of 120,000 isn't large enough for XM radio to justify installing a terrestrial transmitter cost wise, so I just have to live with the brief moments of signal loss. If you were in a more rural setting, were there a lot of trees ? It's my understanding that thick foliage can also block the signal, like the mountains can here.

Last edited by madsonp; 08-01-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:48 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

No it wasn't a large city. It is a a rural area by NJ standards which is probably not the same as rural areas in Montana. And yes there is lots of trees. But like I said I have other cars, 3 total including my C6, and I have been a Sirius/Xm subscriber for years with out issue. I was hoping the splitter would make an improvement for me and solve my C6 XM issues. It was worth a shot and like I said I don't want to discourage anyone else from giving it a go since it may work for them depending on where they live.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:03 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

No it wasn't a large city. It is a a rural area by NJ standards which is probably not the same as rural areas in Montana. And yes there is lots of trees. But like I said I have other cars, 3 total including my C6, and I have been a Sirius/Xm subscriber for years with out issue. I was hoping the splitter would make an improvement for me and solve my C6 XM issues. It was worth a shot and like I said I don't want to discourage anyone else from giving it a go since it may work for them depending on where they live.
That's kinda strange you don't have any issues with your other vehicles. Is the stock Corvette antenna the only antenna you've tried with the XM tuner, or did you try the one that came with the tuner also ?
Old 08-02-2019, 12:36 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by madsonp
That's kinda strange you don't have any issues with your other vehicles. Is the stock Corvette antenna the only antenna you've tried with the XM tuner, or did you try the one that came with the tuner also ?
I used the stock factory antenna, then switched to the antenna that came with the tuner, and now back to the factory antenna with the splitter.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:44 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I used the stock factory antenna, then switched to the antenna that came with the tuner, and now back to the factory antenna with the splitter.
So you had the same poor reception using the antenna that came with the tuner ?
Old 08-02-2019, 12:55 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

So you had the same poor reception using the antenna that came with the tuner ?
Exactly, reception hasn't changed much from one to the other. I never had Xm with the factory head unit since I replaced it soon after getting the car, so I can't compare it to the factory unit.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:06 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Exactly, reception hasn't changed much from one to the other. I never had Xm with the factory head unit since I replaced it soon after getting the car, so I can't compare it to the factory unit.
Huh, well that's to bad neither seem to work for you. I did the same as you, and replaced my factory Nav system with the Pioneer right when I got the car, so I really had no chance to compare them either. Initially I mounted the antenna that came with the XM tuner under the dash until I figured out the way to use the factory antenna, and I assume you did the same. About the only other thing I can suggest for you to try if you haven't already done so, is to temporarily mount the antenna that came with the tuner on top of your roof where there's nothing in the car obstructing it at all, and see if that improves your reception.One other thing you might look at is the antenna connector on the XM tuner, there's a tiny pin in the center of the connector that could have gotten bent off to the side.......either that, or just move out west

Last edited by madsonp; 08-02-2019 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:40 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

I'll probably let it be for now. If I ever have my dash open again I will probably take another look at the tuner and trouble shoot again. Like I said, it was worth a shot trying the splitter. Unfortunately it didn't do it for me. But for anyone trying to connect to the factory XM antenna, it's probably worth it to connect it with the splitter to give someone the best chance at getting the best reception possible through the factory antennas.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:49 PM
drj2011
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Question, are the XM antenna wires molded into the rear clip or are they strung along a loop? Maybe all rear clips aren’t equal, just a thought. My XM with the splitter is doing great here in St. Louis area. I do get an occasional dropout for a second or two but nothing that makes it unusable.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:38 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Came across this on page 51 of Crutchfields latest mailer, and as we know this isn't true. Not only do I use the stock XM antenna in my Vette, but I'm also using the stock XM antenna in my Ford F-250, both with the SXV300 V1 tuners, as well as the stock GPS antennas in both vehicles with my Pioneer head units . I wrote an email to Crutchfield explaining that their statement isn't factual, and sent them the link to this thread, it'll be interesting to see if they reply.

Last edited by madsonp; 08-11-2019 at 02:00 PM.
mikeCsix (02-14-2024)
Old 08-11-2019, 08:31 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Got a reply from Crutchfield, and it's kinda what I expected, it reads as follows "Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you feel about Crutchfield! I will definitely send this information on". I guess another reason this surprised me is that they even carry this adapter specifically for this purpose. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-QfT9Y5...stro-SAT1.html
Old 08-12-2019, 10:44 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Got a reply from Crutchfield, and it's kinda what I expected, it reads as follows "Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you feel about Crutchfield! I will definitely send this information on". I guess another reason this surprised me is that they even carry this adapter specifically for this purpose. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-QfT9Y5...stro-SAT1.html
Got another reply from Crutchfield. apparently my email got bumped up to the higher ups. When I wrote them I explained I was using the stock XM antenna in both my Corvette and Ford F-250. She apparently likes Corvettes Here's their latest reply.

Morning Peter, thanks so much for being a Crutchfield customer and for taking the time to share your feedback. We see clearly now that our mailer isn’t accurate. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We’re a little embarrassed we didn’t catch it until now. Our Creative team (the ones here who produces our mailings) reviewed your feedback earlier this morning. I’ll also be sharing your feedback with our vehicle research team.

Oh, and I’m a Corvette fan. While I don’t have one, one day I will.

Regards,

Aleta Childress
Customer Support, Director

Last edited by madsonp; 08-12-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:49 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Madson, that is pretty cool. Crutchfield always seems to give their customers their personal touch. It was nice that they replied and it wasn't just some generic response.
The following 2 users liked this post by TorchRedFred:
mikeCsix (02-14-2024), SPSandman (06-20-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for someone that lives in a big city with the aftermarket XM tuner

Old 08-13-2019, 01:03 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Madson, that is pretty cool. Crutchfield always seems to give their customers their personal touch. It was nice that they replied and it wasn't just some generic response.
Yep, I've always had a good experience the number of times I've dealt with them over the years. I agree, they gave me the personal touch with their response concerning my email to them, which most companies wouldn't do. It's a pleasure to know they take you seriously, treat you like a person, and actually act on your feedback.
mikeCsix (02-14-2024)
Old 08-13-2019, 01:24 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by drj2011
Question, are the XM antenna wires molded into the rear clip or are they strung along a loop? Maybe all rear clips aren’t equal, just a thought. My XM with the splitter is doing great here in St. Louis area. I do get an occasional dropout for a second or two but nothing that makes it unusable.
Glad the splitter still seems to be performing well for you, that's good to hear. I know how the antenna wires run to the antenna on the trunk hatch on my 05 convertible, and they don't go through the rear clip, but from what I understand, the 05 was the only year with the antenna on the trunk hatch. How they run them on the newer Vettes with the antennas in the mirrors, I have no idea. By chance do you know Fred ?

Last edited by madsonp; 08-13-2019 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:06 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I came across this site which shows what cities have the Sirius/XM terrestrial repeaters, simply select your state from "View State Map" and it'll show all the cities in your state that have these. http://www.dogstarradio.com/sirius_map.php So if you live in one of these cities, the splitter idea might just work for you. If you do give it a try, please report back your findings.

Quick Reply: Looking for someone that lives in a big city with the aftermarket XM tuner