Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

speaker size

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 04:48 PM
pdd000
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default speaker size

whats the size of the door speakers and the rear speakers in the c5. i figure im upgrading everything else so while the car is riped apart i mine-as-well update the speakers or are the factory bose good enough????? pat
Old 01-25-2003, 06:44 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: speaker size (pdd000)

you are not gonna upgrade the factory blose without opening a hornets nest of updates.

the blose system uses amps at each speaker location. That amp uses a propriatary line level signal to the amp.

the amps are small, and supposedly low impedence - 1 ohm stable or lower! - to make power from not much.

hence, there is little you can do without adaptors and amps. if you gonna do that, upgrade the source, because adaptors do nothing but create noise in the system.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:57 AM
MSIP
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: speaker size (pdd000)

You can change the rears. I put Infinity 652i's in mine (a coupe)...I think the Z06/FRC/Vert size is 5-1/2. Search the forum for "rear speaker" and you should find an answer.

He's right about the fronts. They have their own amps. To replace the fronts requires a new amp and new speakers. If you read posts by Kale and others, they say to just unhook the rears and run fronts and a sub. I will probably keep the rears, and phase mine in like this:

1) Replace rears (already did this)
2) Add sub and sub amp, tapping into the rear signal as described in 99HT's info. under Tech Tips
3) Replace the fronts with components and an amplified HU (temporarily driving the fronts/rears with the HU amp)
4) Add a 4-ch amp to drive the front/rear (using line-level outputs from the HU)

Keep reading posts about installations and you will soon be educated (but still confused) about the weird Blose system.

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To speaker size

Quick Reply: speaker size