Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Front Rear and Subs in Rear compartments of C4's

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 10:17 AM
Spike13
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Rear and Subs in Rear compartments of C4's

I am totally replacing my factory system on my 91 (which is currently in storage) and was wondering a couple things. which subs seem to fit the factory compartment best and how are they mounted (MDF and carpet and sitting in compartment or something else like a self enclosed box that sits in the compartment) ??? Rear 6x9's are what I have heard so far, but I also heard 6.5's opinions, any brands seem to work better than others ?? Front's well it looks like they are up in the front sills, not the door ( I have only been in the car for 5 mins and then we put it in storage), what brands seem to be doing okay for the fronts??

I know this is a lot of questions and I have had help already with my HU choice from Pete on this forum (Thanks Pete) and have limited the HU choices down to the Alpine (9815 and the 9820x).

thanks for any and all help.

PS: Any pics would be great !!!

Regards;
Spike13
Old 01-30-2004, 12:02 PM
85 Stalker
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Re: Front Rear and Subs in Rear compartments of C4's (Spike13)

I have several install pictures I can send you this weekend.

Ron
Old 01-30-2004, 02:03 PM
Spike13
Intermediate

Sounds great. I dont have IM, but my e-mail should be on my signature.

Thanks;
Spike13
Old 01-30-2004, 05:34 PM
85 Stalker
Drifting

Build pictures are on the way Spike13.

Ron
Old 01-31-2004, 12:26 AM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Front Rear and Subs in Rear compartments of C4's (85 Stalker)

Hey Spike.....Glad you are getting your car out soon....and glad I could help you...If you can swing it...go and get a set of MB Quart's comps....I got my first set after many different brands and money and I am really happy with the turnout...Try if you can to plan ahead for future upgrades...if any...such as subs or something like that...You want your sound to be upfront and you low to come from the rear...I have the comps in front and just subs in rear...and it pounds....Now I am getting ready to redue the sub area again once I get moved back to Atlanta.......I have the option of using the doors...You have to go low in the kicks...once you get the cover off there you will see how to make things work.....there is not alot of room in there.... if I can help you in any way,....just give a shout....
Old 01-31-2004, 03:58 PM
Spike13
Intermediate

Default Re: Front Rear and Subs in Rear compartments of C4's (apollo30346)

Thanks for the info (Both of you). Apollo are the MB's just called comps or is the a model number. Stalker and Apollo, what brand subs are you running (or basically, which ones do you recommend). .

Thanks;

Spike1
Old 01-31-2004, 04:39 PM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Spike,
The MB's are model PSD213.....they are componets 5 1/4 and a tweet and the xovers.....I am running JL Audio 10W3v2...

Try not to take what people tell you to buy one brand over the other...you go with what sounds good to you....and what you can afford.....Thats the best advise I can give you on that note...You will be able to hear most any brands in any aduio shops...but the key is knowing that it will sound different in your car as appossed to being in there shop in a sound room and such.....You can pick up a set of the MBs for arounf $250.00, but there are many brands that sound great...so go with what you like...I must have purchased 10 sets of different speakers that were cheaper in price and after buying that many sets..I ended up spending more money than if I would have got what I wwanted in the 1st place.... :lol: ......So don't sweat it.....find what you like and thats all counts....
Old 02-11-2004, 10:28 PM
Spike13
Intermediate

Default Re: Front Rear and Subs in Rear compartments of C4's (apollo30346)

Okay, I am feeling pretty good about the sills and the rear speakers. Now the sub,,,does anybody know off hand the dimensions on the rear compartments on the 91 (I assume most of the C4 compartments are the same size). Do, I need to build a box and drop it in or are people setting the sub into a 3/4" MDF board and dropping/sealing it into the compartment itself??

Regards;
Spike1
Old 02-12-2004, 11:41 AM
85 Stalker
Drifting

At first, I was running a 10" Polk in a Q-Box. And this sounded good, with a strong bass fill. :)

From there, I moved the Polk to the storage bin. This sounded great -- very tight. :D

Now, according to UPS, when I get home there will be two Kicker L5's waiting for me!!! My plan is to place them in the storage compartment and power them with a new amp (JBL 1200.1) which is also on the way. :hurray:
Old 02-12-2004, 11:25 PM
Spike13
Intermediate

Stalker:

When you dropped the subs in the storage bin are they just supported by the MDF or are fixed to the sides of the bin somhow ?? Dumb question I know, but my vette is in storage and I wont see it for two more months and i want ot start the purchasing process soon. I dont I will need two subs off the bat (but you never know !!) :yesnod:

Spike1
Old 02-13-2004, 09:08 AM
85 Stalker
Drifting

In a nutshell, I followed the following steps when I added the Polk to the storage area. My plan is to follow the same procedure with the L5’s. I know some of the steps are obvious, but this is what I did:

1. Thoroughly clean the bin…
2. Remove the access door.
3. Trim or remove the carpet.
4. Seal all exposed air gaps inside the bin with expanding foam. This stuff can be very messy, so take you time and be careful!
5. Let the solvents flash out of the foam for several hours.
6. Fill the bin 2/3 full with poly-fill.
7. Now the fun stuff – make the mounting base! As there are hinge nipples for the access door, I routed a channel in the base to clear them so the base could mount very flat. This is an alignment phase; make certain you have a clean fit. I suppose it would be possible to but the base up to the hinges also.
8. Once you have the base made, cut out the center for the sub. As this is the base, I made the hole ¾” larger than the diameter of the sub/magnet.
9. Again. Test fit to make certain the sub aligns with the storage compartment hole.
10. As this is going to be a sealed “box,” on the base I installed a wire connector and silicon sealed around it.
11. Mounting the base. I used ¾” weather stripping along with clear silicon caulking between the base and the fiberglass. The base was then screwed tight (predrilled holes, taking care where you are drilling).
12. I decided to carpet my base, but you could leave the wood raw.
13. Now you need to make the mounting platform for the sub. Once you have it cut and checked the alignment, you can smooth out or route edges.
14. On the underside of the platform, you will need to notch a small area to clear the top of the wire connector.
15. On the side of the platform, drill horizontally through the board to run the wire to the connector. Review for running wire: Wire through the horizontal hole on the platform, connect to the speaker wire connector at the top of the base, the connecter then goes to the sub. This will maintain the tight seal.
16. Cut the hole for the sub.
17. Finish the platform – vinyl, carpet, etc…
18. Mount the sub and connect the wire from the base connector to the sub.
19. Connect the wire through the horizontal hole in the platform from the amp to the base wire connector.
20. Between the sub and the base I used ½” weather stripping, and a lot of it.
21. Secure the platform to the base with screws…
22. Enjoy.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:54 PM
Spike13
Intermediate

Stalker:

Thanks for the info. I will start assembling the parts for the audio system very soon.
PS: Thanks to everyone else who helped as well !! NOW I just have ot get the guts to start ripping everything apart !!

Spike1
Old 02-16-2004, 01:40 PM
Redrum11
Heel & Toe

Is the space between the two compartments hollow? I would ideally like to fit my JL 12W6 (12') in the drivers compartment, and the amp in the passengers. It looks like it wont fit with just the compartment, however, and the plastic would have to be removed. Also, the guy at my local shop said that some sound quality would be sacrificed if I had it installed in the compartment and that putting the amp in the compartment would be a bad idea because of overheating. A different shop said they had installed the sub amp in a compartment before and didn't say anything about overheating. So I guess my questions are would some sound be sacrificed and is there a risk of over heating? Thanks.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:56 PM
85 Stalker
Drifting

Default Re: Front Rear and Subs in Rear compartments of C4's (Redrum11)

I'm not sure on the overheating (it depends on you amp also, not just the environment). I would lean towards yes on the overheating issue if the compartment lid is closed....

When I sealed the compartment and installed the Polk 10" in my 85 the bass was much better and tighter than the sealed Q-Box. The compartment is simply a tub, with nothing under/between it. How much air space does your 12" need?

Old 02-16-2004, 03:50 PM
Redrum11
Heel & Toe

Yeah I was going to list the amp model down before but I couldnt remember the numbers but now I have em. The amp I want to run the W12 off of is an Alpine MRV-T320.

JL reccomends 1.25 ft^3, specifically 18 wide 13 high 13.75 deep for a sealed enclosure
Old 02-16-2004, 05:52 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

JL reccomends 1.25 ft^3, specifically 18 wide 13 high 13.75 deep for a sealed enclosure
You will be a bit shy on air space provining your cars compartment is the same size as my 94. I calclulated my air space to be right at 1 cu ft. My RF HE2 12 works in .9 so I was good to go. One thing I did a little diferent then some of the people is I cut my compartment doors in 1/2 where the weather striping goes down the center and compleatly removed the pass, side door. Then I built a plate using 3/4 in birch plywood. I went this route so if I ever wanted to remove the sub I can reinstall the door and it will look stock (unless you pull up the weather striping. The 12 is way more then I probably need but I love the amount of Bass it puts out.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:14 PM
gcrouse
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Front Rear and Subs in Rear compartments of C4's (84LT1)

Yeah there's approx 1 ft^3 in the compartment; a bit small for a JL 12" but perfect for a 10w0 which is what I used.
I would not install an amp in a small sealed space, but if you're willing to vent it....

Get notified of new replies

To Front Rear and Subs in Rear compartments of C4's

Old 02-17-2004, 08:59 PM
Spike13
Intermediate

Default Re: Front Rear and Subs in Rear compartments of C4's (gcrouse)

What are the dimensions of the rear compartments for a 91 (if anybody knows off hand ). Reason being, is it looks like I could either build the sub in the compartment or build it in a box and drop the box in (if it was big enough of course).

Regards;
Spike
Old 02-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Redrum11
Heel & Toe

I think I'll just keep the box in rear instead of trying to install it in the compartment. But the recommend depth is 13.5 inches. At that depth I'm pretty sure that that prevenst me from lifting up the hatches to acess the compartments. How much would the sound be affected if I cut the depth down to say 11.5? Thanks.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Spike13
Intermediate

Well guys:

I am starting to actually get the list for the system. Alpine 9815 HU, MB quart 213 for the kicks (if I can fit them), Kicker Solobaric(s) for rear compartments, and possibly 6x9's for rear corners (I do not have the bose system, so 6x9's should work). What do you guys think ???

PS: I appreciate all the help so far and I should have most of the system running in a couple months (not out of storage until May 15th)

PSII: one question I still do have is would I really need 6x9 in the back or will a Kicker Solobaric over power them ??

Best Regards;
Spike1 :confused:

Quick Reply: Front Rear and Subs in Rear compartments of C4's