Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doh! Forgot to add extra quart at trackday...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 07:48 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseesp
Thank you all. I have not added extra oil as it was my understanding that I should keep it below the top hole in the dipstick, since AU N EGL is the chief instructor at the NCM HPDE, i just needed clarification.
Yes we need to edit the Drivers Package about the new Z that an extra quart of oil is not needed.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:03 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z06-Nomad
I don't run "a quart over the full line"...never have. I put over 20K track/racing miles on my 01 and just ran it at the "full line" and never had any issues. Great engine!

If you do choose to run it over full, there's no need to drain any of it out. Just leave it and it'll be fine.

If you run it over full, then the engine just 'pukes' the extra oil back up thru the engine and into the intake. If you've ever taken off the flexible air intake tube (coming from the air filter box), I'm sure you've noticed that little pool of oil. That's basically where that's from. So, the way I look at it is that it's better to NOT puke so much oil into the engine. The LS6 doesn't suffer the same oiling problems that the LS1s did, so I'm just not convinced it's necessary to overfill it.

If you run the engine much over 6500, that's where you'll start getting 'ring flutter' and burning more oil. The 02-04 engines aren't as bad about that, but they still burn some up.

Chris W. Ingle, Instructor: Chin/TracQuest, Car Guys...
2006, 05, and 03 Southeast Division T1 National Champ
2001 White Z06 SCCA T1 Racer #7
That's how I feel about it.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Z06-Nomad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xsiveone
That's how I feel about it.
Funny how the thread came to a screeching halt after I posted that there is perfectly healthy Z with 20 K track miles that doesn't add the extra quart.

Where did all the extra quart evangelists and naysayers go???

MD
Old 10-20-2006, 05:17 PM
lddavis91
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone do this simply for autocrossing or just track? I saw it mentioned in the owner's video. As frequently as I will be autocrossing, it be a real pain to try and do it. So, do you all just change the oil after each track weekend? Or run around all the time with the extra oil.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

At my last track event I asked all the vette drivers and it was a 50/50 mix of those who add extra and those that do not.

I add a half qt for what thats worth

DH
Old 10-21-2006, 07:09 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny how the thread came to a screeching halt after I posted that there is perfectly healthy Z with 20 K track miles that doesn't add the extra quart.

Where did all the extra quart evangelists and naysayers go???

MD

depends on the car, driver, track, and tires generating enough lateral G's
Old 10-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the concensus for adding an extra quart to a LS2 with the improved design of the C6 oil pan/windage tray?

Last edited by Dr Chill; 10-21-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:36 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

LS 2 add the quart. Only the LS7 WITH dry ( damp) sump no extra quart is needed.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:32 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

I think a lot of you are missing the point; I believe the primary reason for the additional oil recommendation from GM is to assure the motor will not run low during the course of a track day, i.e. you are more likely to burn oil while lapping the track, and the additional quart ensures you will not oil-starve the motor if you don’t check the oil level every single session (or at all during the day).
Old 10-22-2006, 10:45 PM
Z06-Nomad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
I think a lot of you are missing the point; I believe the primary reason for the additional oil recommendation from GM is to assure the motor will not run low during the course of a track day, i.e. you are more likely to burn oil while lapping the track, and the additional quart ensures you will not oil-starve the motor if you don’t check the oil level every single session (or at all during the day).
Not a bad theory. I am not a GM engineer, so I don't know the definitive answer, but my gut feeling is what mostly what everyone else is saying: High G forces = Oil not able to return to oil pan = extra quart guarantees oil level will be high enough not to have oil starvation.

To add some more confusion to your theory. I have had 2 IDENTICAL, dead stock, 02 Z06s. My first one ran the whole track day with the extra quart and used NONE of it (when I got home the level was exactly 1 quart over). This first car ran oil temps 295 F-310 F pretty consistently (no, nothing ever happened to it in 1.5 years). The car I have now uses, I would guess, about 1/4 - 1/2 of a quart of oil during a track day (none on the street). The weird part is it runs 270 F- 290 F. Same track (Sebring) Same weather (90 F) Same driving style, Same number of laps (or more). Same EVERYTHING. Put that in your pipe, and smoke it...

MD
Old 10-22-2006, 10:58 PM
Z06-Nomad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
What's the concensus for adding an extra quart to a LS2 with the improved design of the C6 oil pan/windage tray?

Cool pic. Thanks for posting. didn't know the "batwing" was extinct.

I could swear I read an article a couple years ago where someone explained in detail that they had somehow verified that the oil level on the LS6 (probably LS1 too) was perfectly fine (not touching the crankshaft in any way) when you added the extra quart.

MD
Old 10-23-2006, 02:55 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by xsiveone
I never add an extra quart. I'll add maybe half a quart and keep an eye on the oil level. I'm a bit leery of adding a full quart.
me too. Too much can can cause problems too. I do exactly as you do, add 1/2 and watch her.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:05 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
LS 2 add the quart. Only the LS7 WITH dry ( damp) sump no extra quart is needed.
funny how GM claims that the LS2 OIL Pan is geared for the track because it returns better into and out of turns.

So I thought about getting one. I took a look at. But when I discovered that you will be using 1 less quart of oil with the LS2 Pan, I didnt like hearing that. I am worried about giving my motor less oil to work with.
Being that have an oil cooler and scavenger pump feeding the turbos, I said no way on the LS2 Pan.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Not a bad theory. I am not a GM engineer, so I don't know the definitive answer, but my gut feeling is what mostly what everyone else is saying: High G forces = Oil not able to return to oil pan = extra quart guarantees oil level will be high enough not to have oil starvation.

To add some more confusion to your theory. I have had 2 IDENTICAL, dead stock, 02 Z06s. My first one ran the whole track day with the extra quart and used NONE of it (when I got home the level was exactly 1 quart over). This first car ran oil temps 295 F-310 F pretty consistently (no, nothing ever happened to it in 1.5 years). The car I have now uses, I would guess, about 1/4 - 1/2 of a quart of oil during a track day (none on the street). The weird part is it runs 270 F- 290 F. Same track (Sebring) Same weather (90 F) Same driving style, Same number of laps (or more). Same EVERYTHING. Put that in your pipe, and smoke it...

MD
Yes, an interesting discussion; your example of burning a 1/2 quart (some folks surely burn more than that) during a single track day tends to bolster my argument.

And if you think about it, exactly how much higher is the oil level in relation to the pickup screen w/ an additional quart of oil?

Maybe it's a bit of both (increasing oil level and covering the oil burning scenario).
Old 10-23-2006, 03:15 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Hey Dan,

When I first started tracking, I remember going through the turns and for a brief sec my low oil pressure chimes would come on. I had an instructor who said to PIT and check my oil. I wasnt low but was approaching the add line. So I added a 3/4 of a quart at that time.

It was later explained to me that I should always add oil before track events because the oil swashes to the sides of the LS1 Pan when going into turns and I would risk starvation during this period. Since then I always make sure that I am above the full line for the sole reason of the turns. I guess what also might contribute is if you hit 290 degree oil temps which thins out the oil and reduces pressure

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 10-23-2006 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Doh! Forgot to add extra quart at trackday...