Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time Attack

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 02:17 PM
DDM Time Attack
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time Attack

Anybody here compete in, or are thinking of competing in time attack competition?

For those who don't know what it is, its basically a race against the clock. A driver gets one warm up lap, 3 timed laps, and one cool down lap for each session. The fastest lap of your two competition session counts toward your placing. The rest of the weekend is practice/test-n-tune.

It really is a ton of fun and the way the rules are written provides the competitors with an open forum to show their stuff.

I personally think that a C5 Z06/C6/C6 Z06 would dominate some of the classes with the right driver and without having to modify it too much. Unfortunately I think we have only seen a small handfull of Vettes come out to compete.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:12 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basically Time Trials. The few Corvette's that show up always do very well. Most of the cars at the particular events I went to were no match for a C5/C6, but there were a few cars here and there that were contendors. You don't see the big expensive Euro cars at any of these events, mostly the home built specials that people aren't scared to wreck. One year I went againts a 2000lb 914 Porsche with a modern 996 motor and he was really fast, but I was able to get that extra 10th of a second to beat him. I ran in the Unlimited Class a couple times and won the event outright with close to stock HP at the time.

Time Trials are great and it add a whole new ball game to HPDE when you have one at the end of the day. But remember it is a timed event and your insurance will not cover you and you are pushing much harder than you would in a normal HPDE session.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:17 PM
DDM Time Attack
Heel & Toe

95jersey - What organization do you run with? Are you planning on competing this coming weekend with Redline Time Attack at NJMP?
Old 09-10-2008, 03:44 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

COMscc used to do their events that way.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:52 PM
fmrfast
Racer

Do you know if the event is being held at the thunderbolt or lightning track, their home page under the event mentions both?
Old 09-10-2008, 04:36 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DDMotorsports
95jersey - What organization do you run with? Are you planning on competing this coming weekend with Redline Time Attack at NJMP?
I haven't done a time trial since 2005 or something like that. I did it a few times with CART back at Pocono. I will not be there this weekend. To be honest, not sure if I want to risk the C6Z doing a time trial with no insurance coverage at a place like NJMP.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:46 PM
DDM Time Attack
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by fmrfast
Do you know if the event is being held at the thunderbolt or lightning track, their home page under the event mentions both?
I am 90% sure it will be at Thunderbolt.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:51 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

It is Thunderbolt, I will be there. I am signing up tonight. I have to go back to street tires, yikes.

Time trials are awesome, but I am not too excited about being on track with a bunch of highly modified cars as they are more prone to have mechanical failures. I would be pissed if my car gets damaged because some idiot forgot to tighten a bolt for his oil pan or something. At least at Thunderbolt the track is wide, but then the track doesnt seem too exciting from what I see in videos.

Circus Maximus is coming with CART, 3 tracks for $250 with 2 time trials at South and North. It's time to put your name on the board

Last edited by tmak26b; 09-10-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:29 PM
DDM Time Attack
Heel & Toe

Good luck man!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Hey Mike:

I keep meaning to come out and run a Redline TA or something, but it just does not seem to fit into my calendar lately. I either have an SCCA race or some family event in conflict.

You might see me out soon though....
Old 09-10-2008, 08:27 PM
DDM Time Attack
Heel & Toe

Hey Oli! Good seeing you . I would love to see what that C5 could do in a time attack one day! There will be more west coast races in 2009 so hopefully you can make it out to one.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Hey Oli! Good seeing you . I would love to see what that C5 could do in a time attack one day! There will be more west coast races in 2009 so hopefully you can make it out to one.
Yeah that would be fun to see what it can do.

I still need to read the rules and figure out what class to run and what tires to mount....
Old 09-10-2008, 10:02 PM
DDM Time Attack
Heel & Toe

You could probably fit into Mod RWD if you ran the right tires. The rules are pretty lenient. You have your front/rear glass right?
Old 09-10-2008, 10:27 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

TT, TA, Lap Battle, etc..... are like giant autocrosses with a few moving targets to work around but also allot like current F1 qualifying(just not quite as fast of course)

Much less chance of bent sheetmetal or cracked glass, much more rewarding to me that solo yet not so much apprehension of breaking your pride and joy you slaved over building or over the job you have to pay to have it built. (slaving over it myself is another great reward but also makes it harder to take when broken)

I have two cars I am building, one a pretty expensive to me C6 WC bodied 02 Z06 and the other an 05 Scion tC mostly built for my kids which may become a W2W car eventually because it is worth about 1/3rd of the Vette. (it is quicker than many would want to believe and will be much quicker by spring

As for the Vette, eventually it will be a W2W car but quite possibly driven by a pro instead of me so I can see what I have built, not what I have wrecked

TT are great, I would probably win if I did not just go racing on the practice sessions instead of practicing.

Rick
Old 09-10-2008, 11:27 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

Redline limits to seven cars and they will send the fastest car out first in order to avoid the traffic jam. Also it is not a 20 minute session where everyone is just out there at once....
Old 09-10-2008, 11:33 PM
DDM Time Attack
Heel & Toe

Somewhat correct. The number of cars they send out at a time on track depends on the length of the track. They try to space cars out at 10 sec. intervals starting with the fastest qualifier and so on.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:11 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Most of us are doing NASA because I think Redline has a stigma of being an Import competition. I used to get it confused with superstreet time attack which doesnt allow V8's at all.

If they presented themselves more to the Euro/American cars could be a very good venue for competition. I keep up with the results and there arent many if any of those types of cars at many of the events. I do like the idea though.

Get notified of new replies

To Time Attack

Old 09-11-2008, 12:14 AM
DDM Time Attack
Heel & Toe

They would love to have more American/Euro cars out and I believe they are alloting some of their marketing plan towards it for 2009. I know at the Auto Club Speedway event this year they had a Muscle Car class in an attempt to draw some domestic attention.

Whats wrong with going to a predominately import event anyway? They don't bite.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

You could probably fit into Mod RWD if you ran the right tires. The rules are pretty lenient. You have your front/rear glass right?
I have front and rear glass. My side windows are removed to allow for the NASCAR style door bars. I have a full interior per T1 racing rules. I normally run Hoosiers or Kuhmo V710s.

I was told if I run the Hoosiers or Kuhmos I would run in unlimited as they are less than 100 treadwear. I was told I can run some BF Goodrich tires in Modified that are the hot ticket and very fast. My car at CalSpeedway normally runs 295s up front and 315s in the back. I was told I need to run 285s max. Is that correct.

All this info came from JC Meynet who runs a lot in AWD Street class as you probably know. I think it is funny though that a Subaru with a Cosworth 500 AWHP engine is running a class called "Street." That car is anything, but Street. But I guess because it has catalytics that makes it a Street and over 100 treadwear. That brings up another issue though. I took my cats out in 2007 as SCCA allowed us to start doing that. They were getting blown out anyway. Would I have to put them back in?

Old 09-11-2008, 12:40 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

They would love to have more American/Euro cars out and I believe they are alloting some of their marketing plan towards it for 2009. I know at the Auto Club Speedway event this year they had a Muscle Car class in an attempt to draw some domestic attention.

Whats wrong with going to a predominately import event anyway? They don't bite.
Nothing wrong with the event at all, but if that's who they want there and advertise too, it doesnt exactly make everyone else feel welcome. Kind of like how people always inquire about being welcome at a PCA, BMWCCA, or Audi event if they dont drive the make. If you're not part of the target attendees, you wonder if you're welcome. Plus when it comes to tracking people track with the groups they know and that have a good reputation among the people they know. I know one person who's run a redline event, and I havent talked to him since before he ran it.

And there was some debacle here in Atlanta last year I think ( Atlanta motor speedway) that gave redline a bad rep in these parts, something about the track conditions werent safe, cant remember exactly but many people werent happy.

Quick Reply: Time Attack