Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petit Lemans Atlanta / LG Motorsports entered

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:21 AM
redazz
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

best of luck lou, let em know your out there
john
Old 09-17-2008, 11:21 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
GM racing is the height of stupidity. I guess they don't want you competing with them like in WC with the Caddies. I am sure they will put the stop on you getting Michelin's also. Time to bury GM Racing and Michelin with emails asking if they are afraid of competition and free enterprise.
You have a contact address? I'll be more than happy to add my two cents.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Luck Lou

Old 09-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Anomir
Pro

I am looking forward to meeting you down at Atlanta! As far as the GM crap goes, they really are making incredibly stupid decisions.

GM should be helping all Corvettes, not to the extent they do the factory team, but a Corvette doing well while racing the European best should be something they SHOULD be shooting for. Once again, bad decisions being made at GM. Is there ANYONE over there that thinks things all the way through outside of Corvette racing. (I forgive them for not thinking it through, they want wins, period.).

I will be cheering you on Lou, hope to see you at the Corral and in the paddock!
Old 09-17-2008, 04:27 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Go kick some ***!!! I wouldn't waste time with the emails right now. You should figure out how to make that thing fly. GM and Michlein are on the high horse right now racing against themselves. Work on the Dunlop boys and get those tires working to the max. I'm sure you have a solid tire program. We have found time using this. Warm up to around 125-135 degrees. Pull off track and scrap all the rocks and crap off using a torch and scraper. Then put them aside for at least over night.

Coat them, grind them, soak them, pee on them, heat them, rub them, shave them, file them, get those damn things up to speed. Just some ideas, isn't it great when the right stuff is out there, and a million dollars can't even buy a single damn tire. What about those overseas tires from Dunlop??? What the hell has Goodyear been up to???

Give them hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Randy
Old 09-17-2008, 05:02 PM
michael404
Advanced

Lou, great news before we see you in Atlanta, I"ll see you Saturday to pick up a hood and brake ducts..... and anything else that I can't seem to live without.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:14 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Luck Lou!!
Old 09-18-2008, 10:30 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Don't forget to stop by our trailer to get a free GT2 Corvette hat while they last.

Thanks

See you there.

LG

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 09-19-2008, 12:40 AM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Can't make the race in person but I'll be watching anyway on the tube. Good luck Lou.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:37 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
GM racing is the height of stupidity. I guess they don't want you competing with them like in WC with the Caddies. I am sure they will put the stop on you getting Michelin's also. Time to bury GM Racing and Michelin with emails asking if they are afraid of competition and free enterprise.
How is Michelin afraid of competition? Only Dunlop and Michelin supply tires to all four classes. What has Michelin done to prevent Yokohama, Kumho, Hankook, and Falken from entering all four classes?

Dunlop is not as big as Michelin, but Virgo Motorsport have a partnership with Dunlop that helped give them the GT2 championship in the Le Mans Series in 2007 and 2008.

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/le_m...gt2_crown.html

http://www.dunloptires.com/racingEve...ans/index.html

Originally Posted by Anomir
I am looking forward to meeting you down at Atlanta! As far as the GM crap goes, they really are making incredibly stupid decisions.

GM should be helping all Corvettes, not to the extent they do the factory team, but a Corvette doing well while racing the European best should be something they SHOULD be shooting for. Once again, bad decisions being made at GM. Is there ANYONE over there that thinks things all the way through outside of Corvette racing. (I forgive them for not thinking it through, they want wins, period.).

I will be cheering you on Lou, hope to see you at the Corral and in the paddock!
Pratt & Miller have helped C6.R teams in the FIA GT Championship and the Le Mans Series.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:33 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Old 09-20-2008, 09:36 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

What is the reason behind Michelin only going with 21 teams? Is it competition or is it something in the rules that won't let them supply tires to more than 21 teams? I'm really curious to find out the reason.

Lou -- When you were choosing tire manufacturers this spring, did you have Michelin as a choice at that time? Just curious.

Didn't Goodyear buy Dunlop a few years back or am I mistaken?

It's funny that Michelin and Bridgestone are having the same battle in MotoGP that they were having in F1. Even the Michelin motorcycle rain tires are better than the Bridgestones, but the Bridgestones are the overall better tires in the series.

Question -- Does Bridgestone supply tires to the Le Mans series? If not, they'd be a great contender. They kick butt in just about every other motorsports series.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:58 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by xsiveone
What is the reason behind Michelin only going with 21 teams? Is it competition or is it something in the rules that won't let them supply tires to more than 21 teams? I'm really curious to find out the reason.

Lou -- When you were choosing tire manufacturers this spring, did you have Michelin as a choice at that time? Just curious.

Didn't Goodyear buy Dunlop a few years back or am I mistaken?

It's funny that Michelin and Bridgestone are having the same battle in MotoGP that they were having in F1. Even the Michelin motorcycle rain tires are better than the Bridgestones, but the Bridgestones are the overall better tires in the series.

Question -- Does Bridgestone supply tires to the Le Mans series? If not, they'd be a great contender. They kick butt in just about every other motorsports series.

Yes we "applied" to Michelin to buy tires and we were turned down. Some manufacturers will go to bat for teams running their cars but in our case that did not happen. ANd michelin denied our request to purchase tires for the series.

I wrote to Michelin again this past week, asking that they sell me tires for only the Petit Lemans race, and again we were denied.

Their choice, and the result is that even with the Dunlop tires that we can get in the USA (not the european tires) we will still be roughly 2 seconds off just with the tires.

GM racing needed Michelin tires to compete against each other. I would have suggested that they run on Shaved street tires because they would have still finished first and last. But who am I to consider logic.

At any rate, we were not and are not allowed to buy Michelin tires for the ALMS series. Bridgestone is not in the series, and they do not have plans to enter at the moment.

Dunlop may bring the European tire over next season but who knows.

There are other tire companies out there that want to step up to the plate but if they do, it may be a couple of seasons before they can compete at the front so it will take some patience for the teams running them.

The problem with the perception of any team is that if you are not at the front, you are ridiculed even though you might be within the magic 2 second margin that the tires account for.

On the other hand, if we do well with out Michelin tires, then it will be an even bigger feather in our cap.

Thanks guys,

See you at Petit

LG
Old 09-21-2008, 06:11 AM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

I know that all of that drama would just motivate me more to try and stick it to both Micheline and Corvette Racing.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Anomir
Pro

Pratt & Miller have helped C6.R teams in the FIA GT Championship and the Le Mans Series.

The Corvette Racing team runs full time in which of those series? Oh yeah, they DO NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

American LeMans Series is what we are discussing.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:12 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Give them hell out there Lou... sounds to me like you could make those 2 seconds personal and drive extra hard to jam it to them.

Although I love the whole Corvette racing, the cars, the drivers etc... the politics SUCK! What really sucks that they will only support THEIR Corvette. When you look at this forum, what you see is support for ALL Corvettes, they should look at what the community is really all about and try to lead by example. Lou, we will all be cheering you on buddy.

btw, can I get first crack at some of those Dunlops you'll be tossin'
Old 09-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Gatorac
Pro

It seems to me that the tire issue is one of the biggest hurdles for more teams joining the ALMS. If your not on Michelin's, your not going to be competitive. Almost all other series are using "spec" tires so I don't think that's the answer here. ALMS must be different and allow the technology competition as well. However, the must open up access to tires. Every team needs to have access to every tire.

Teams and sponsors can only take so much before the decide to run Grand Am.

Get notified of new replies

To Petit Lemans Atlanta / LG Motorsports entered

Old 09-21-2008, 12:07 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Correct me if iI am wrong, but isnt Michelin owned by the French?
Old 09-21-2008, 02:00 PM
abc 123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vette6aut0x
Correct me if iI am wrong, but isnt Michelin owned by the French?
Oh god, here we go
Old 09-21-2008, 04:52 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Originally Posted by abc 123
Oh god, here we go
I'm sorry, did I say something wrong? (It was a joke my friend)

Quick Reply: Petit Lemans Atlanta / LG Motorsports entered