Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nelson Ledges DBL SCCA T1 Results

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:10 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PA Z06
Well said, handle it like gentlemen/friends
You know Phil (and PA), in retrospect you are probably right and that is the way it should have been handled, except for the fact that he was shown at least one (and thought I saw a second) Black Flag. There is something called being aware of what is happening around you.

In addition, after receiving the SOM's decision and after having people view my in-car and reading their comments, he still doesn't think he was in the wrong. Based on this I think that any discuss we would have in impound would have virtually no impact on his point of view.

Sometimes the "gentleman's" way of handling things just doesn't have the required affect on people.

I was told by someone yesterday that filing a protest is a "no win" situation. I know exactly what they mean. The filer is the "bad guy" because people in the protestee's camp think "it's only racing for a $5 trophy; What's the big deal?" and he's a sore loser. I guess my reply to that is if it is just a $5 trophy then why do something so inappropriate to warrant a Black Flag and a protest?

Also, friendship is a two-way street...
Old 07-07-2009, 10:08 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
You know Phil (and PA), in retrospect you are probably right and that is the way it should have been handled, except for the fact that he was shown at least one (and thought I saw a second) Black Flag. There is something called being aware of what is happening around you.

In addition, after receiving the SOM's decision and after having people view my in-car and reading their comments, he still doesn't think he was in the wrong. Based on this I think that any discuss we would have in impound would have virtually no impact on his point of view.

Sometimes the "gentleman's" way of handling things just doesn't have the required affect on people.

I was told by someone yesterday that filing a protest is a "no win" situation. I know exactly what they mean. The filer is the "bad guy" because people in the protestee's camp think "it's only racing for a $5 trophy; What's the big deal?" and he's a sore loser. I guess my reply to that is if it is just a $5 trophy then why do something so inappropriate to warrant a Black Flag and a protest?

Also, friendship is a two-way street...
Did you ask if they showed him two furled black flags which he ignored why didn't they just throw a regular black flag? To me it seems like control need to be on top of things to avoid a fist fight in the pits.

And it's a lot more than a $5 trophy on the line with contingencies and all.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:10 AM
PorscheBoy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you two bring it to Mid Ohio this weekend for a Showdown?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:09 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Did you ask if they showed him two furled black flags which he ignored why didn't they just throw a regular black flag? To me it seems like control need to be on top of things to avoid a fist fight in the pits.

And it's a lot more than a $5 trophy on the line with contingencies and all.
Ken,

There is some confusion about the flags.

I think I saw two furled flags, however the "flag log" says one with a reference to a second "warning" of some type. I did get a Facebook message from an official who wondered why two furled flags, as he thought the actions warranted a full Black Flag.

There would be no "fist fights" between Aaron and me, not over this nor anything else.

Yes, you are right, there is a bit more than the trophy (which was wine by the way, and I don't drink!).
Old 07-07-2009, 11:09 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John B
All this over a 4 car class regional race? At least your cars got some exercise. Mines got cramps from laying around. Aaron sorry to hear about your job. Come to the MN I need someone to fight with I mean race.
Not a Regional, a National.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:13 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PorscheBoy
Why don't you two bring it to Mid Ohio this weekend for a Showdown?
I can't. I have a prior commitment and my car will be at Gingerman.

I did think of that, though. Because of Aaron's professional situation, I even though of paying for his entry to help him out. But my schedule doesn't allow it.

Understand that this is NOT about driving abilitiy. It is about someone's interpretation of "good racing." Aaron can drive the wheels of a car, and has in the past and did in this race. It's the moves on the straights that created this controversy.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:18 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Knucklehead Racing
Sorry to hear about the job loss Aaron. Really hope you find one soon. And sorry you two nice guys got into it after the race. I hate protests but Dave may have been right though it is really not that important unless you were running for a Championship. I would have rather seen Dave show you the onboard video between yourselves while in impound. Then you could have made the decision yourself Aaron. Heck guys! We all get hot under the collar once in a while.
Look, I understand what you are trying to say Phil, compared to life, death, and the state of ones job a hobby is not that important. Lets not trivialize this though. We are COMPETING ( at a relatively high level I might add ), willingly because we want to win. We all spend too much money, time and effort on this to have someone who breaks rules take the win. In all forms of competition the competitors are subject to a rule set, in this case the rules were not followed and it was very clear. Is that not why you left Vintage, because you were sick of the "questionable" practices and equipment you were spending a lot of time and money to compete against?? No, Aaron has made it clear his thoughts on the matter, and he is entitled to them. I have no problem with his take, but it is clear that the protest and SOM involvement was what was required to clarify the reality of what happened. Yes, we are all friends ( most at least ) but when that green flag drops make no bones about it, we all want to whip each other!!!

Joe

Last edited by sleeper02Z06; 07-07-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:27 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Ken,

There is some confusion about the flags.

I think I saw two furled flags, however the "flag log" says one with a reference to a second "warning" of some type. I did get a Facebook message from an official who wondered why two furled flags, as he thought the actions warranted a full Black Flag.

There would be no "fist fights" between Aaron and me, not over this nor anything else.

Yes, you are right, there is a bit more than the trophy (which was wine by the way, and I don't drink!).
I wasn't implying you and Aaron but in general & I'll plead the fifth if asked if I was involved in a discussion about blocking that may have not gone as gentlemanly as it could have. My point is people get fired up in the car and things sometimes escalate quickly when people aren't thinking straight.

BTW if it was beer that would be a whole different story, talk about motivation.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:28 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
Not a Regional, a National.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:40 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Stellar maturity!
Old 07-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Knucklehead Racing
Instructor

Hey Joe:
I am trying to get to the Glen. Weather looks questionable. We'll see how things go here. Hope to see you there. I think my better half is coming along.

I do not disagree with your comments. I do not disagree with David's protest. And we all know Dave is a class act. I can understand he was probably very frustrated during the race. . as we all have been there at some point. I just hate protests and don't do them even when I know a fellow competitor is not exactly rules compliant. It is just not that important for me. It's club racing. I absolutely try my best but I let it go after that. . . unless you hit me! Even then (Pocono last year and New Hampshire this year) I have withdrawn protests I was in the midst of filing.

That being said, the film does show blocking. You cannot do that. It can get dangerous, especially at Nelson. Hopefully an apology fixes the mistake as we have all made dumb moves in the midst of a race which we were sorry for after.

I undestand David's protest is also a learning tool which reinforces the point so it should not happen again. In that regard it also makes sense. And second place is a great finish too.

-Phil

Last edited by Knucklehead Racing; 07-07-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:52 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

I wasn't implying you and Aaron but in general & I'll plead the fifth if asked if I was involved in a discussion about blocking that may have not gone as gentlemanly as it could have. My point is people get fired up in the car and things sometimes escalate quickly when people aren't thinking straight.

BTW if it was beer that would be a whole different story, talk about motivation.
Understood and agreed.

Ken, one thing I can certainly say about you is that you are willing to learn and don't think you know it all (that's a compliment, by the way! ).
Old 07-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rasrboy
Coming out of 12 you have till the start/finish to get by left or right as the track tappers in drasticaly at bridge and if you stay in the middle or just right he can't get by as there is not enough room. It may look like I am weaving but the allusion is Dave REALLY SWERVING making me look like I am. He was getting frustrated that he can find a hole on the narrow track and that is Nelson's for ya. Either he was going to have to pit manuever me or hit the bridge posts/tirewall.
Absolutely perplexed by your assertion that you were not weaving. Yes, Dave was "REALLY SWERVING"; of course he was, as he was trying to get by you and needs to be completely out from behind you. However, you do not need to move that much to allow less than a car width on the attacking side. Which is what you did. Quite clearly the gap between your car and the edge of the track narrows depending on which side Dave is on. At one point you even block his ability to run up behind a slower car.

I recently had a race where I got snap oversteer in a LH corner allowing my competitor to get a better drive out of a corner and get his nose along my left rear fender (the next turn was a very fast - 100 mph - left/right chicane.) I could have drifted over to the left forcing him to back off, but that would have been denying him the required racing room. I got passed.

Aaron, I have always enjoyed reading about your races. You've got this all wrong.

Best of luck with the job search.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:16 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a few days to reflect on all this and calm down and I just wanted to apologize to Dave and everyone here for what I wrote. I came home Sunday night and was upset and could not sleep and needed to vent, but like a lot of you said it should have been handled offline and offtrack after the race man to man.

I unleashed a verbal side of me that is not NORMAL. A lot of you know me and know I am not like that and I am sorry for the unprofessional act I took here. I let my fingers do the talking and instead should have gone to bed and cooled down for a few days and talked to David on the phone.

SBW, I promise to lay off the Jack Daniels before the races so I won't weave so badly next time.

I am a person that gets along with everyone and I do not like to be in a fued with anyone. So, I hope that Dave accepts my apology and we can shake hands the next time we see each other and race hard.

Dave, I will work on getting the nitrous system hooked up so I can get away from you on the straights. Hope to find some work and have a FRIENDLY rematch without problems.

I would like to fade this thread out and go back to some good racing talk.

Peace,

Q
Old 07-07-2009, 11:15 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rasrboy
I had a few days to reflect on all this and calm down and I just wanted to apologize to Dave and everyone here for what I wrote. I came home Sunday night and was upset and could not sleep and needed to vent, but like a lot of you said it should have been handled offline and offtrack after the race man to man.

I unleashed a verbal side of me that is not NORMAL. A lot of you know me and know I am not like that and I am sorry for the unprofessional act I took here. I let my fingers do the talking and instead should have gone to bed and cooled down for a few days and talked to David on the phone.

SBW, I promise to lay off the Jack Daniels before the races so I won't weave so badly next time.

I am a person that gets along with everyone and I do not like to be in a fued with anyone. So, I hope that Dave accepts my apology and we can shake hands the next time we see each other and race hard.

Dave, I will work on getting the nitrous system hooked up so I can get away from you on the straights. Hope to find some work and have a FRIENDLY rematch without problems.

I would like to fade this thread out and go back to some good racing talk.

Peace,

Q
Aaron,

It's all behind us. I accept your apology.

I too was bothered by this whole turn of events. As I have said in the past, I have a great deal of affection (appropriate type guys, both of us are married!) for you and your family. The reason I do is exactly what you said in describing yourself: you get along with everyone. And the thought of a feud between us was not something I relished.

I hope to see you soon so we can shake hands and go racing bumper-to-bumper again.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:29 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Aaron,

It's all behind us. I accept your apology.

I too was bothered by this whole turn of events. As I have said in the past, I have a great deal of affection (appropriate type guys, both of us are married!) for you and your family. The reason I do is exactly what you said in describing yourself: you get along with everyone. And the thought of a feud between us was not something I relished.

I hope to see you soon so we can shake hands and go racing bumper-to-bumper again.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:37 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

so we can shake hands and go racing bumper-to-bumper again.
Good plan!
Randy
Old 07-08-2009, 06:28 AM
Knucklehead Racing
Instructor

Please do not do the man hug thing! You know I hate that! Lololololololol......
Old 07-08-2009, 08:42 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Knucklehead Racing
Please do not do the man hug thing! You know I hate that! Lololololololol......

Better

Quick Reply: Nelson Ledges DBL SCCA T1 Results