Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nelson Ledges DBL SCCA T1 Results

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 10:53 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Nelson Ledges DBL SCCA T1 Results

Just got home and thought I would give the lowdown of whats happening. I for one am having a blast cause the car finally SHIFTS for once but does have a little grinding from the trans. FYI, I put my old Flywheel,PP,disc & throw-out bearing back in and presto. The NEW GM pressure plate that came with the crate motor was a defect.

Friday Qualifying for Sat Race:

1 40 David Pintaric 1:10.829
2 1 Aaron Quine 1:11.335
3 98 John Stracensky 1:13.497
4 87 Norman Betts (Did not make it time to Q)

Congrats to Dave on the pole!

I finally get the clutch to not stick to the floor and here comes another surpise. Have any of you ever had the drivers side steering rack bolt loosen up and then sheer off the pass side rack bracket which holds the rubber bushing? I did during the first out lap of Qualifying friday scrubbing tires in. By the time I got to turn 4, I turned the steering wheel and all she would do is keep going straight. After cranking the steering wheel 1 1/2 turns it barely made it through the turn.

I needed to get a atleast 3-4 Q laps in so I said why not. I have video and you will CHIT when you see this. I somehow managed a decent lap fighting it all the way and then brought it in. The boys opened the hood and said move the steering wheel back and forth. The rack was moving side to side with about 3" play per side. I have pictures of the rack I will post later. Anyhow, Norm Betts had a brand new rack in his trailer and gave it to me to use. I jumped in with the boys and we got it wrapped up friday @ 7pm and was good to go for saturdays race.

Saturday was a fun time and Dave & I were honking along till 3/4's of the race and a AS Stang blew something in turn 1. Dave was in front of me and we all hit the black ice and went sailing. Dave went off left and another guy went right and I bobbled through the middle somehow filling my pants. And everyone behind us was spinning too and I was waiting for the rear end job. I was able to save it and get going but let me tell you that was close. (Dave has video from the Viper I'm sure he will post later) I got lucky and went on for the win but I probably wouldn't have gotton by if it was't for this. LUCKY!

Race results Sat:

Class T1
1 1 Aaron Quine 21 25:22.505 1:10.695 4 101.846
2 40 David Pintaric 21 25:29.544 7.039 1:10.446 2 102.206
3 98 John Stracensky 20 25:55.362 1 Lap 1:12.747 2 98.973
4 87 Norman Betts 19 25:01.077 2 Laps 1:16.516 4 94.098

Then we had about 2 hours to get the cars ready and then qualify again for Sundays race. I figured I had a little some somethin for Dave as I went quicker but so did he! Dave got the pole again for sunday, good job brother

Not posted to mylaps yet but it was like this.

Dave 110.1
Aaron 110.3
John 113.?
Norm 115.?

Next up, Round 2 Sunday around lunch time and will report on that one later. I had a great time and our group of T1 guys are all like family. I am very thankfull to be able to do this hobby and share something that we all have in common. Whether I am first,middle or last I can still say I had a lot of fun.

Aaron Quine
Old 07-04-2009, 11:14 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wish I was there! Getting ready for the Glen national though, and setting off illegal fireworks of course!! Be safe tomorrow!

Joe
Old 07-04-2009, 11:21 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations on getting your car to shift......and getting to run ....

Dave is a formidable competitor, but he is driving a Viper ....so try to beat the Viper

Trans grindy, huh ???

Coming to MO next week......slim shady ???
Old 07-04-2009, 11:59 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Q,

Nice job driving today. Like I said in your paddock, sorry for not congratulating you in impound. Yes, I was very frustrated about how things played out today, but I should have at least acknowleged your accomplishment earlier.

I am breaking in a new motor this weekend. If you remember my almost-two-year-old T1 motor gave up the ghost the first full lap of qualifying at The June Sprints. My heart was broken as I was really looking forward to that race, but alas sometimes these things happen.

I was fortunate to find a T1-ready V10 and had it installed by the capable crew at Kryderacing. I am impressed that they can install a new motor like this and not have any, and I do mean any, issues with it. No leaks, no shorts, no nothing. They are tops in my book!

But, I had to promise to keep an eye of the gauges and not to shift over 5500 RPM. I can do race up to 5500, but no more. So these restrictions slow me a bit, but not too much.

The goal of this weekend is to find out how much motor we have, keep the car in one piece, hand it over to a friend for next weekend, and then get ready for the Run Offs.

I have uploaded the two laps of my lap 18 spin in gear oil. Heartbreaking as it is, it could have been much, much worse.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRgpmVUD02c
Old 07-05-2009, 12:07 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Nice job Aaron and great job on bringing the cars home in one piece guys
Old 07-05-2009, 07:59 AM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Congratulations Aaron! Now bring it on to Mid-Ohio next weekend.

Ed
Old 07-05-2009, 11:08 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

HOLY CRAP dave... that couldve been A LOT worse. Glad it all ended well though...

Aaron, glad you got that clutch/tranny all worked out. Now go kick some ***!
Old 07-05-2009, 11:41 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Good luck today guys, bring it home in one piece
Old 07-05-2009, 01:32 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
But, I had to promise to keep an eye of the gauges and not to shift over 5500 RPM.
Where do you normally shift?
Old 07-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,785 Likes on 952 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Good job Aaron and Dave! That could have been much much worse in turn one! Glad no one got hurt or suffered more damage than that done to their underpants!
Old 07-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Knucklehead Racing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job out there Aaron. Great win with all your issues. Hope you did well on Sunday.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:45 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Where do I start! Today was a good day at first and then I really found out who my friends were. Start of the race a bunch of GT1 cars bunched up on the inside of turn one, so I said I am going outside for the pass since I had a good run but could not complete it and tucked back in line behind David. Being smart and not trying to take anyone out!

We raced very hard for the first 15 minutes and then he went a little high in turn 4 and I took advantage of it and put it down low and it stuck CLEAN and NO CONTACT! Just like WALLY"S AWESOME move on me at NASA Summit point I did'nt cry like a baby. I told Wally great move and you got me fair and square. Had beers and laughed about it for 2 days. All good right, this is supposed to be fun. We are not winning millions here Dave, this is a HOBBY!

Back to the race, Dave was now on my butt lap after lap until we came upon lap traffic and I was able to get a few cars lenghts for a quick minute through picks and then we were back bumper to bumper.

The one lap to go came out and I continued to thrash and then I see David in my mirror just lift off and not even try and catch me? So I just cruised to the finish for the win again. (So I thought)

This is were things got ugly as Dave PROTESTED me for BLOCKING. I call it RACING but maybe if he posts the in-car here that he has, you all can decide who got to the finish line first. Sorry Dave, but I believe we had a great race and you lost fair and square. You protected the track too when I was behind you and thats racing. Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. BIG FREEKIN DEAL!

Anyhow, We were both called to the SOM (Judge) at seperate times and he got to bring his whole crew and friends for witnesses but they would not allow me to bring in mine or all the corner workers that came over and said " That was a race, and congrats you earned it".

Long story short, Dave cried to the SCCA officials cause I raced him to hard and he didn't win. God forbid anybody beat Dave P. in his Viper. Now if I punted him I would man up and say "MY BAD" punish me for my mistake, but I saw nothing wrong in my eyes.

I should have seen this coming when I went to shake Dave's hand after Saturdays race and he would not shake my hand. He did however come over to my tailer later and said he was sorry for that but it should have never led to that.

I still had fun even though they moved me to 2nd place. Some people can't take being beat and I found out who you truely are today. I can take it and I will come back another day to try it again. David, I have lost a lot of respect for you this weekend and so have a ton of other people that witnessed a true race today.

NASA guys,
I would love to come join you but this was my 3rd SCCA national race to keep my licence current as I was one of the unlucky 15 people to loose my job with Kumho last week. I was already committed to do this race and stuck with it. I am parking the car till I find work again otherwise I would have came down. Good luck to you guys and hope to see ya soon.

Peace,

Aaron Quine
Old 07-05-2009, 07:39 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Aaron you're welcome to play with us any time.

sounds like a bunch of bull**** to me.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Congratultions on Sat's race AAron, and sorry for the way things turned out on Sunday.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:11 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

IBTL!!

Joe
Old 07-05-2009, 08:22 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on your races Aaron. Sorry to hear how it ended up and more importantly to hear about you losing your job.

Hope to see you at Mid Ohio (even if you're not driving).

Last edited by mrc24x; 07-05-2009 at 08:30 PM. Reason: I don't want to see a 20 page thread....
Old 07-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,785 Likes on 952 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Sorry to hear about the results today Aaron, and about your job. Hopefully you can find something quickly. I too have been forced to park the car for a while. It sucks.

Get notified of new replies

To Nelson Ledges DBL SCCA T1 Results

Old 07-05-2009, 09:17 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rasrboy
Where do I start! Today was a good day at first and then I really found out who my friends were. Start of the race a bunch of GT1 cars bunched up on the inside of turn one, so I said I am going outside for the pass since I had a good run but could not complete it and tucked back in line behind David. Being smart and not trying to take anyone out!

We raced very hard for the first 15 minutes and then he went a little high in turn 4 and I took advantage of it and put it down low and it stuck CLEAN and NO CONTACT! Just like WALLY"S AWESOME move on me at NASA Summit point I did'nt cry like a baby. I told Wally great move and you got me fair and square. Had beers and laughed about it for 2 days. All good right, this is supposed to be fun. We are not winning millions here Dave, this is a HOBBY!

Back to the race, Dave was now on my butt lap after lap until we came upon lap traffic and I was able to get a few cars lenghts for a quick minute through picks and then we were back bumper to bumper.

The one lap to go came out and I continued to thrash and then I see David in my mirror just lift off and not even try and catch me? So I just cruised to the finish for the win again. (So I thought)

This is were things got ugly as Dave PROTESTED me for BLOCKING. I call it RACING but maybe if he posts the in-car here that he has, you all can decide who got to the finish line first. Sorry Dave, but I believe we had a great race and you lost fair and square. You protected the track too when I was behind you and thats racing. Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. BIG FREEKIN DEAL!

Anyhow, We were both called to the SOM (Judge) at seperate times and he got to bring his whole crew and friends for witnesses but they would not allow me to bring in mine or all the corner workers that came over and said " That was a race, and congrats you earned it".

Long story short, Dave cried to the SCCA officials cause I raced him to hard and he didn't win. God forbid anybody beat Dave P. in his Viper. Now if I punted him I would man up and say "MY BAD" punish me for my mistake, but I saw nothing wrong in my eyes.

I should have seen this coming when I went to shake Dave's hand after Saturdays race and he would not shake my hand. He did however come over to my tailer later and said he was sorry for that but it should have never led to that.

I still had fun even though they moved me to 2nd place. Some people can't take being beat and I found out who you truely are today. I can take it and I will come back another day to try it again. David, I have lost a lot of respect for you this weekend and so have a ton of other people that witnessed a true race today.

NASA guys,
I would love to come join you but this was my 3rd SCCA national race to keep my licence current as I was one of the unlucky 15 people to loose my job with Kumho last week. I was already committed to do this race and stuck with it. I am parking the car till I find work again otherwise I would have came down. Good luck to you guys and hope to see ya soon.

Peace,

Aaron Quine
Some comments from me.

I fully beleive this issue should have been discussed privately between you and me, not publicly on this or any other forum. But since you have made it public, I shall explain my side as best I can.

Below are the in-car videos from today's race. I must say this: I said some things in these videos that I am not very proud of, and apologize for saying them. Aaron, I owe you an apology for what I said in the heat of the moment.

However, I believe, as did the Stewards of the Meet, as well as two unaffiliated-to-me witnesses (as well as third who is a friend), and the Black Flag Steward, that you are wrong on this issue.

Laps 1-4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VULz6f1KQ_I

Laps 5-8 (check out Lap 6 at the 2:15 mark)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pME6UXgxLHI

Laps 9-12 (check out the 1:10 mark)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhaSf-LNMSc

Laps 13-16 (see the 1:10 and 2:20 mark)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxSWHSKc-L8

Laps 17-20 (see the 2:20 and 3:30 mark, which was the deal sealer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH9Vy14Gkys

Laps 21-23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxycrMEM5Ek

My witnesses were three people:

Ryan McManus' crew chief and uncle (who I don't know very well). Ryan was the GT1 winner. His uncle said since Ryan didn't have any competition in GT1 he was able to watch our race. He came up to me afterwards and unsoliticitedly said, "Why didn't you just punt him?" I just asked if he'd be a witness.

Rob Piecarzyk, and Spec Miata driver, and admittedly good friend. But if I did something wrong he'd tell me. Trust me, he has in the past.

Tara ? (last name unknown), she is a SCCA volunteer who was working somewhere along the front straight. Again, she came up to me and made some comments that prompted me to ask her to be a witness.

None of my crew were asked questions that I am aware of.

I also believe since we are both at our "home" track that there was no "home field" advantage for me. The SCCA people in charge know (and I think like) both of us.

Did you know that you had at least, and possibly two furled Black Flags pointed at you?

I am certain the corner workers didn't see anything wrong with your driving, because the behavior that caused the protest was done in the straights. The people in the flag station/tower saw enough to wave the Black Flag. Your corner entries are not what was in dispute.

I thought long and hard about filing this. I don't like doing this at all, and this is the first time I have. But I had too many people approach me about this, and I am referring to seasoned racers, some past National Champions.

Aaron, you drove a heck of a race, better than me in fact. But I didn't take the win from you, and neither did the Stewards, you did so by blocking.

The unwritten rule is "one move." You consistently made two and sometimes three moves on the front straight. I am not certain of the exact wording in the SCCA GCR, but evidently there is something there that is applicable to this or the protest would not have been upheld. I am also certain the NASA has language that would address this as well, but dont have the time to research.

Some racers would have just punted you after the first incident. I chose to keep my cool (well, not really) and allow the system to work. Without the process the only way to resolve this is for me to "punt" you. That is stupid and dangerous, especially at Nelson Ledges.

Listen, I still think the world of you and your family. If you think less of my, so be it. I hope in time you will see that I am justified in my actions.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:21 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Damn Aaron, sorry to hear about the job.

As for the race, either it is fair racing or not. Now to watch the video...

Good luck on the job search!

Dean

Last edited by kentz06; 07-05-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:23 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kentz06
Damn Aaron, sorry to hear about the job.

As for the race, if the video exists, is Dave man enough to post it and let us decide for ourselves??? If it exists and no post, off the forum! Doesn't make any difference what you are driving, either it is fair racing or not.

Good luck on the job search!

Dean
Man'ed up.

Quick Reply: Nelson Ledges DBL SCCA T1 Results