Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Harness Bar Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 09:24 AM
72Vega
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 Harness Bar Options

Did a seach on CF about harness bars. Read quite a bit about them, going back to threads from 2005. Brey-Krause, Sharkbar and Hardbar seem to be the choices.

Anyone want to offer an opinion pro or con about each of these? Does the Brey-Krause allow continued use of the OEM seatbelts? Sharkbar and Hardbar both do. Sharkbar and Hardbar are about the same price. Does the B-K justify more than 2X the price of the 2 others? Aluminimum vs. Stainless steel - any opinions? Weight difference is significant - should this matter? Are the pieces welded on the top of the Sharkbar and B-K unit necessary to keep belts positioned properly?

This is step 1 of a purchase plan to increase the safety equipment in the C6 as my skill level and speeds increase through NASA HPDE 3 and 4. Use of the harness bar this spring in HPDE 2 will be as a good mounting place for the new GOPro HD video camera. Plan is to use the stock belts until I progress to HPDE 3, then install a race seat and 5 or 6 point harness.

Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated! Thanks!

Paul
Old 02-14-2010, 09:55 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been happy with the Brey-Kruse harness bars having used them in both a C5 Z06 and a C6 Z06.

Note: The B/K units are different for the two Vette models.

B/K does have detachable clips installing both the seat and floor straps making strap removable easy for daily driving.

You have full seat adjustment with the B/K harness bar too.

I got back ~ 60 % of my cost when I sold the C5 Z06 setup to another forum member.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:57 AM
72Vega
Racer

Thanks for the information...hadn't thought about the seat travel issue...for now I am trying to keep it as street driveable as possible.

Paul
Old 02-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I used the Brey-Krause harness bar for quite-a-while and was very happy with it. I felt the construction and appearance of the B-K harness bar was superior to the other offerings. Although, once I installed the harness bar and 6-point restraint I never really used the OEM seatbelt again, you can use the OEM seatbelt if you want.

I tend to do things in stages sometimes to my own detriment. I ended-up removing the harness bar and having a custom fabricated roll bar installed. I also added a stout, removable, '5th-point' support strut running from the main hoop down into the passenger side foot well for added protection and rigidity...I can always add sidebars in the future if I want. I got good use out of the harness bar and no complaints but in retrospect I would have been better off installing a roll bar to begin with. The harness bar might be an interim solution...you might want to consider going straight to a roll bar.

If you decide on a roll bar I think you're better off having one cutom fabricated...just make sure it complies with the specs of whatever organizations you run under. It's not all that expensive to do either. Good luck!
Old 02-15-2010, 11:40 AM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the hardbar. I also purchased the under seat rail rear harness mounting unit for both seats. I use a 6 way belt. i liked the setup. in my car the hardbar was a very tight fit.

to note if you are tall and need the seat all the way back hardbar offers an extension piece. i didnt need it.

I believe all bars you have to cut out a hole in the rear panels that will always be there. I thought if i ever needed to convert the car to stock i could purchase grommets to fill the space.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I replaced my BK in my C5 with Hardbar. Never had quality issue with the BK, but the side rails I didnt like and also I didnt like that it took up a percentage of my coupe.

The hardbar is top notch and gives me back the extra room and doesnt have those pesky side rails.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:05 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trumper Z06
You have full seat adjustment with the B/K harness bar too.
A couple of years ago HardbarUSA added "extenders" as an option to their harness bar configuration to deal with this. I like my Hardbar a lot. Easy installation, almost looks stock.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Sent PM with some lessons learned.

Bill
Old 02-15-2010, 03:39 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Sent PM with some lessons learned.
Why not share with the class? :-)
Old 02-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Why not share with the class? :-)
They are some things that I don't think are appropriate to say in an open forum. If you want I can forward you the PM I sent to Paul. The comments apply to the C6 and may not apply to the C5.

Bill
Old 02-15-2010, 06:47 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
They are some things that I don't think are appropriate to say in an open forum. If you want I can forward you the PM I sent to Paul. The comments apply to the C6 and may not apply to the C5.

Bill
Bill, I'd like that I've moved up to a C6 and am looking into a bar also
Old 02-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 72Vega
Thanks for the information...hadn't thought about the seat travel issue...for now I am trying to keep it as street driveable as possible.

Paul
Sharkbar here! Full seat travel was a requirement for me.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...s-hardbar.html
Old 02-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Default NASA or SCCA rules and harness connections

I recall seeing a post about requirements on how a 5/6 point harness is connected to a roll bar or harness bar. The discussion was about the correct angle of the harness shoulder straps should make as they pass over the shoulder to the bar.

Tried a few searches but could not find it.

I recall that the rule change is up coming or something to that effect and the need for holes in the seat back to pass the harness through.

Last edited by Dan Wendling; 02-15-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:29 AM
72Vega
Racer

Thanks for all the responses to my questions. CF is a great place to learn from other drivers.

Paul

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Harness Bar Options

Quick Reply: C6 Harness Bar Options