Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

self-bleeding caliper valves

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 01:42 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Default solo/speed bleeding caliper valves

Anybody here use them? I'm wondering if I should put them on both sides of the caliper or just one. Any long term use problems?

Last edited by thebrander; 03-20-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: wrong term
Old 03-20-2010, 02:22 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

You mean Speed Bleeders ?
Old 03-20-2010, 02:34 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
You mean Speed Bleeders ?
Yes... meant to say "solo" and wrote "self"... editing title...
Old 03-20-2010, 05:28 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They have been used here by some. I have some leak after using them so I pulled them
Old 03-20-2010, 05:40 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have used speed bleeders for the past four seasons and love them. It makes bleeding after an event a single person process and very easy. Never had a problem.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:00 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by thebrander
Anybody here use them? I'm wondering if I should put them on both sides of the caliper or just one. Any long term use problems?
Well.....you didn't say what kind of car or BBK you're running, so I looked in your profile for a clue. Nada.

So....you say "both sides of the caliper" so I'll assume you have some kind of fixed caliper with a couple bleed valves on each caliper.

Yes....in order to properly flush/bleed your system you'll need to bleed fluid from both bleed valves (inside & outside) on each caliper or you'll likely leave some old "moisturized" and tired fluid in the caliper.

Bob
Old 03-20-2010, 07:16 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

I've used SpeedBleeders in all of my cars since '96, and I've never once had a problem with them. I know of a very few others that have had leaks, but it's rare.

Yes, you need to replace every one of the valves.

jas
Old 03-20-2010, 08:35 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I tried them once 10 years ago, and had one leak after only a few events. I purchased a pressure cap and a nitrogen bottle, and have pressure bled ever since. I'd prefer to use any pressure method (ie GM cap, Motive, etc) over speed bleeders or vacuum bleeders.

I acknowledge many folks love them, but you only get one chance with me, and it didn't work out.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:42 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I tried them once 10 years ago, and had one leak after only a few events. I purchased a pressure cap and a nitrogen bottle, and have pressure bled ever since. I'd prefer to use any pressure method (ie GM cap, Motive, etc) over speed bleeders or vacuum bleeders.

I acknowledge many folks love them, but you only get one chance with me, and it didn't work out.
Dave where can you get the pressure cap to fit the vette master?

Thanks!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Used on my C5 and C6Z06 for 4-5 years .... never once had a problem and I bleed before every event.

DH
Old 03-20-2010, 09:10 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jvp
I've used SpeedBleeders in all of my cars since '96, and I've never once had a problem with them. I know of a very few others that have had leaks, but it's rare.

Yes, you need to replace every one of the valves.

jas
OK, so I'm feeling a little ripped off by LG Motorsports after they shipped me two valves for their "single axle package" which includes two valves. You sure you need 4 per axle?
Old 03-20-2010, 09:15 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Well.....you didn't say what kind of car or BBK you're running, so I looked in your profile for a clue. Nada.

So....you say "both sides of the caliper" so I'll assume you have some kind of fixed caliper with a couple bleed valves on each caliper.

Yes....in order to properly flush/bleed your system you'll need to bleed fluid from both bleed valves (inside & outside) on each caliper or you'll likely leave some old "moisturized" and tired fluid in the caliper.

Bob
Bob was it not obvious I drive a C6Z??? (kidding)

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2010, 09:19 PM
rgg16g
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I use a pressure bleeder (I have a Motive) with speed bleeders? I'm wondering if 10-15 psi on the motive is enough pressure to force the check valve open?
Old 03-20-2010, 09:19 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

OK, so I'm feeling a little ripped off by LG Motorsports after they shipped me two valves for their "single axle package" which includes two valves. You sure you need 4 per axle?
I assure you: replace every bleeder nipple. Trust me. :-) You need 8 of them in total. I'm adding them to my ZR1, and just picked up 8 1010S's from them this week.

jas
Old 03-20-2010, 10:07 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jvp
I know of a very few others that have had leaks, but it's rare.
mine leaked, first time i tried them. motive pressure bottle makes one-man bleeding just as easy so why bother?
Old 03-20-2010, 11:07 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by rgg16g
Can I use a pressure bleeder (I have a Motive) with speed bleeders? I'm wondering if 10-15 psi on the motive is enough pressure to force the check valve open?
Yes!

I have speed bleeders in my Z06 (2 in each caliper).

I also use a Motive Power Bleeder.

I pump it up to about 10 psi and it pushes fluid through the speed bleeders with no problem.

Like David says, he uses nitrogen. Like many others here, I use my Motive Power Bleeder only as a pressure source (I don't put any fluid in it).

The concern is that you're pushing pressurized moisture laden air against the fluid in your m/c and will get unwanted moisture into the fluid. David uses nitrogen to avoid that potential problem because it's perfectly dry and an inert gas.

Bob
Old 03-20-2010, 11:19 PM
rgg16g
Racer

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Yes!

I have speed bleeders in my Z06 (2 in each caliper).

I also use a Motive Power Bleeder.

I pump it up to about 10 psi and it pushes fluid through the speed bleeders with no problem.

Like David says, he uses nitrogen. Like many others here, I use my Motive Power Bleeder only as a pressure source (I don't put any fluid in it).

The concern is that you're pushing pressurized moisture laden air against the fluid in your m/c and will get unwanted moisture into the fluid. David uses nitrogen to avoid that potential problem because it's perfectly dry and an inert gas.

Bob
I have heard this theory before so I was looking into a diagram style pressure bleeder.

So how to you use your motive without fluid in the pressure vessel?

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To self-bleeding caliper valves

Old 03-21-2010, 12:24 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
mine leaked, first time i tried them. motive pressure bottle makes one-man bleeding just as easy so why bother?
I'm sorry yours leaked first time you tried them. As I said, I've used them in 4 different Corvettes since '96 and haven't had a lick of trouble with them. Inexpensive, easy to use, so, as you say, why bother with the Motive?

jas
Old 03-21-2010, 04:07 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have used them in 12 calipers total over the last 4 years. no issues. it's nice to be able to bleed the brakes with no need for an extra person or any tools aside from a single wrench
Old 03-21-2010, 04:41 AM
Bahnzii
Racer

Definitely get some Speedbleeders...
I did have some leakage after a track session on my Z06, but what I found out later is that it was some of the break fluid that got on the threads when I installed them.

I cinched them down a bit snugger before the next session and I haven't had a problem since...10 track events later.

I've run them on a 350Z, 2 C6 Corvette's and most recently an Evo 9. All have seen track days and only 1 problem.

Quick Reply: self-bleeding caliper valves