Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Various Swaybars and Noise Level (Feedback please)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 05:43 PM
ukrbmw
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Various Swaybars and Noise Level (Feedback please)

I'm posting this in track section since I'm looking for more feedback on Pfadt Race Bars and T1 bars with quiet end links.

I currently have old style T1 bars (non-adjustable rear) with adjustable end links and let me say they are freaking loud, non-stop clunking and squeaking. I've tried greasing them to see if that would help, unfotunately it didn't help. It got bad enough that I just put stock ones back in. This is a car I drive on the street quite a bit, but it also sees a number of track events per year.

My question is how is the noise level on the Pfadt bars and T1s with LG quiet links? I'd like to either put my bars back on or sell these and get the Pfadts if they are that much better.

And yes, I know about sacrifices for track car, but if I don't have to than I won't!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:14 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

The T1 bars have always worked well for us in the past. Now what I can tell you is that each car is a little different and because of the bushing they use you may have to use a shim under the hold downs for the bushings to get the right load on the bar. Tighten them all the way down to the point of them barely turning and they probably will make a bit of noise.

The links should be silent if they are ours. Given enough use, and weather and wear and they can make noise over time like anything suspension related parts do wear out. They should last you for years of use though.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Try a search, or just look down the page, there are posts on the subject here...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-question.html
Old 12-01-2010, 07:40 PM
ukrbmw
Racer

Thanks Solo. I read that thread. But wanted to also know about the other bars as an alternative to trying with T1s.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

It isn't the bar that's responsible for the noise, it's the end links and the mounting brackets. T1, stock or just about any other bar will be quiet if you mount it properly and use quiet end links. Almost all the noise is coming from the end links, and that's easy to fix if you do what froggy and I did, or spend twice as much for a set of end links from LG.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:05 PM
ukrbmw
Racer

Understood. It looks like the Pfadt bars use a somewhat different setup.

Actually, just found out a friend of mine just ordered a set, so I'll get to see it first hand shortly (or more importantly hear).
Old 12-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
Understood. It looks like the Pfadt bars use a somewhat different setup.

Actually, just found out a friend of mine just ordered a set, so I'll get to see it first hand shortly (or more importantly hear).
All of these systems use rod end links on the end of the bar. Find ones that are teflon or nylon lined if you want something more quiet. Solid metal end links are going to be noisy after a while because they wear and get loose and you have a metal on metal joint.

Some of the Pfadt bars have a torsion bar and an arm that clamps on the bar, but that isn't any different than a solid bar if it is working right. If it gets loose then it could make noise. Bottom line is that a solid bar you already have properly mounted won't be any different than the Pfadt three piece bar.

If you have squeaking coming from the bar mounts then you need to make sure the mounts are properly lubed and you aren't putting too much clamping force on the bar. If the bar is detached you should be able to turn it in the mounts and it shouldn't be loose or rattle and make noise.

As I said, most of the noise and clunking comes from the end links. Check the mounts by removing the end links and checking to make sure the bar isn't binding or isn't rattling loose.

Since it probably isn't you can go ahead and get the end links changed out as noted in the other thread. My T1 links clunked from early on and I replaced them and all is quiet now.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:05 PM
ukrbmw
Racer

Got it. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:11 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Just put the Pfadt Racing HD sways on a couple of weeks ago. Two track days since and no noise yet. Had to shim bushings. Bars were used so it has 2 types of end links, but so far neither have made any noise.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:10 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I use the LG G1 bars and their adjustable end links - no noise at all!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:14 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

No offense but if your putting on stronger sway bars, noise should not be a consideration, but how well they work.

or put on LTs with straight pipes, then you wont hear the swaybar end links

Get notified of new replies

To Various Swaybars and Noise Level (Feedback please)

Quick Reply: Various Swaybars and Noise Level (Feedback please)