Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier rubber compounds

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yooper
Regarding the Conti's, what is the difference between the GT-O and the GT-R?
No idea, I was wondering the same thing myself; I think its something new for 2012. Last year there only one type of tire that was used at every track. The only track that required a unique tire was Daytona due to the banking and it was this tire that was used at every event. Info is not guaranteed to be accurate but was obtained from Bruce Foss of Hoosier while at the Laguna Seca GrandAm race
Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering
Hi Tom,

I do not wish to put you on the proverbial spot, but where did this bit of MIS-information come from?

Ed
From my conversation with a Hoosier Tech guy about a year ago. R80 softer then the R100

The As and Rs line is very different then the R80s and R100 line of tires.

Very different tires for different uses.

Hoosier Tire will be introducing two new R80 and R100 radial slick sizes for racers
competing in SCCA FP, HP, and GTL classes. Testing has proven these radial slicks to improve
every aspect of vehicle dynamics from more grip, better cornering speeds, improved tread wear,
less rolling resistance and faster lap times. Compared to our bias ply cantilevers, the total width
of the radial slick is narrower to improve aerodynamics and will offer less “fall off” of lap times.
Both tire sizes will be offered in the R80 and R100 compounds for FWD and RWD vehicles. The
R80 will be used on all four corners for RWD vehicles, while the R100 will be used on the front
and R80 on the rear of FWD vehicles. Both the R80 and R100 compounds on these two sizes
meet the new EU aromatic free oil standards.
http://www.hoosiertire.com/pdfs/radial43542_bull.pdf

Last edited by AU N EGL; 03-06-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:50 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Too bad NASA has the .75 penalty for slicks. I'd like to try some
This... it works good if you got a ST1 car that isn't close to the power to weight limit and throw the slicks on there. For ST2 and already close to the limit... that's alot of weight to add.

And they don't make any big sizes in 17" rims which is all that I have at this point.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by yooper
Regarding the Conti's, what is the difference between the GT-O and the GT-R?
As I understand it the O is softer than the R. I do not know by how much. I have nothing to base this on other than what I was told by a reliable source. I am excited to use the O's and see how they perform. If anyone knows anymore about them I would be grateful for further information.

Last edited by Racingswh; 03-06-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:49 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Conti GT-O = Hoosier GT R80s ????

&

Conti GT-R = Hoosier GT R100 ?????
Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
What kind of air pressures do you run on R100s?
Here is what I found on Hoosier website:

LAKEVILLE, IN (March 8, 2011) — In an effort to offer our valued customers more tire size
options, Hoosier Tire will be introducing two new R80 / R100 radial slick sizes specifically for
Ferrari F430 Challenge customers.

Extensive testing has proven these radial slicks to perform with the best in class. Every aspect of vehicle dynamics, grip, turn in, steering feedback and quicker lap times, will be enhanced by using these radial slicks. Both 19” radial slicks will be available March 1.

Recommend air pressures should start at 24 – 26 psi cold and after a 20 minute track session, the hot pressures should be in the range of 32 – 34 psi hot. An increased air pressure setting of 2 – 4 psi above recommended on all four corners should be used when running at a banked oval
speedway road course

For the speedway, I bump them up the full 4 pounds. They seem to work for me better in the middle ranges for VIR, but moving to upper end as they start to wear.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:37 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
From my conversation with a Hoosier Tech guy about a year ago. R80 softer then the R100
Thanks, Tom, for the clarification. Bill's interpretation of your post was correct, and that all makes perfect sense, as expected. Your use of the word "softest" describing the A6 make me think you were referring to all four types of tires. Since this seems to be an on-going misunderstanding in tire discussions here, I thought I would ask.

I'll shut up now!
Ed
Old 03-07-2012, 07:22 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Its Ok Ed

I was trying to get that difference too.

Also I think the cars set up has quite into the equation as well

Quick Reply: Hoosier rubber compounds