Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active handling defeated!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 02:28 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I just acquired a stock 1999 FRC, which I am preparing for Intermediate / Advanced HPDE.

The car displays a message "Service Tire Pressure Monitoring System", and the message cannot be cleared with the reset button on the DIC. In fact, I cannot scroll to any other feature of the DIC. Obviously there is an issue with the DIC and/or its motherboard in the instrument panel cluster (IPC). More info on that whole issue can be found here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...working-2.html

I mention the above only as background for this:

I prefer to run multiple sets of track tires/wheels without TPMS. My plan has been to follow the suggestion of this thread and permanently disconnect the Steering wheel sensor (SWS). Thanks to those of you who discovered and analyzed this gem of a track tip!

Assuming that I can correct the DIC / IPC issue, and assuming that its message is correct that the Tire Pressure Monitoring System requires service (for normal stock function), will disconnecting the SWS eliminate my current TPMS issue (by rendering it moot) and allow remaining function of the ABS and TC as described in this thread?

Or must I repair the TPMS system even though I will not use TPMS sensors, and will have the SWS disconnected?

One more clue: the DIC does not display any pressures, or XXXX in their place. It displays only the quoted message above.

Last edited by emptnest; 01-30-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:59 AM
polyol
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mp4659
Ive been running with steering wheel position sensor unplugged for 2 seasons, zip tied out of the way, dont even think about it anymore. too many tpms sensor woes, just got tired of fighting with them.
Same here, it has an annoying yellow light that I covered, other than that unplugging the SWPS has had zero ill effects street driving or track.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:52 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

My friend who is a very experienced driver has a C6 and wants to turn off everything- is the fuse pulling the simplest way? I don't think he'd mind ABS.
Also, what does it do for mag ride? Does he have to be in competition mode for it to be stiff?
Old 03-14-2018, 06:53 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
My friend who is a very experienced driver has a C6 and wants to turn off everything- is the fuse pulling the simplest way? I don't think he'd mind ABS.
Also, what does it do for mag ride? Does he have to be in competition mode for it to be stiff?
If a C6, simplest way to turn off Active Handling and Traction Control is to hold the button down for 5 seconds, no fuse pulling needed. ABS is unaffected. However, there is no mag ride unless a C7, which someone else needs to chime in on, since I have a C6Z.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:44 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

What this whole thread is about has to do with the fact that with the active handling turned off in a C6, if you have a tire pressure sensor fail, a TPMS problem, or don't have sensors in your track wheels, the active handling automatically turns back on to a very intrusive mode, and the car goes into a limp mode that doesn't give any throttle response when you're in a turn, and limits speed even when going straight.

Pulling the steering position cable allows you to run on track without tire pressure sensors, or with a failed sensor, without the terribly intrusive mode of active handling and the limp mode.

Originally Posted by harrydirty
...there is no mag ride unless a C7, which someone else needs to chime in on, since I have a C6Z.
My 2005 C6 had MSRC!!

My C6 ZR1 has MSRC!!

There are LOTS of C6 Vettes with MSRC, and one of the inputs into the mag ride control module is steering position angle.

When any of the inputs into that module is lost, you'll get a "Service Ride Control" message and the mag shocks go full soft.

So...I don't think you want to pull the steering position cable on a car with mag shocks whether it's a C7 or a C6.

Last edited by BEZ06; 03-14-2018 at 08:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
village idiot (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 11:58 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

If you turn off all the nannies by holding down the TC button, what "mode" does it put the shocks in?

Also, what happens if you pull the fuse with no TPMS for the mag ride?

Last edited by village idiot; 03-15-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:31 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
What this whole thread is about has to do with the fact that with the active handling turned off in a C6, if you have a tire pressure sensor fail, a TPMS problem, or don't have sensors in your track wheels, the active handling automatically turns back on to a very intrusive mode, and the car goes into a limp mode that doesn't give any throttle response when you're in a turn, and limits speed even when going straight.

Pulling the steering position cable allows you to run on track without tire pressure sensors, or with a failed sensor, without the terribly intrusive mode of active handling and the limp mode.

My 2005 C6 had MSRC!!

My C6 ZR1 has MSRC!!

There are LOTS of C6 Vettes with MSRC, and one of the inputs into the mag ride control module is steering position angle.

When any of the inputs into that module is lost, you'll get a "Service Ride Control" message and the mag shocks go full soft.

So...I don't think you want to pull the steering position cable on a car with mag shocks whether it's a C7 or a C6.

Obviously I am mistaken and should keep my comments to what I know about my own C6Z........sorry for any confusion I caused.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:43 AM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 696 Likes on 444 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

newbie here...just got a 08 ZO6, read the whole thread and still don't get one thing.
If I don't install TPMS in my track wheels, will the car's AH remain fully functional? other than a warning that TPMS is faulty?
Thanks
Old 03-15-2018, 02:37 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyc6z06
newbie here...just got a 08 ZO6, read the whole thread and still don't get one thing.
If I don't install TPMS in my track wheels, will the car's AH remain fully functional? other than a warning that TPMS is faulty?
Thanks
Short answer no, after it is away from the other tires it will go into limp home mode (no more high speed fun)
tommyc6z06 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 09:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyc6z06
Thanks
Originally Posted by ErnieN85
Short answer no, after it is away from the other tires it will go into limp home mode (no more high speed fun)
I would rephrase Ernie's statement a little. If you don't have sensors in the wheels a C6 can run for a certain time period once it is removed from the location of the wheels that do have sensors. Early C6s can go as long as an hour before the system realizes something is amiss. My 2008 could go about a half hour and newer cars usually ran less time than that. Once the car realizes the sensors are missing or one is faulty then it goes into what I call run flat protection mode and limits speed to 55 mph. With my 08 I could drive faster than 55 on straights but as soon as I turned the steering wheel for a turn the active handling system would apply the front brakes to slow the car to 55 mph.

There was no way around this other than purchasing LG's module that programmed the system to ignore the issue or by unplugging the steering sensor which then disabled Active Handling but didn't bother ABS or Traction Control. With Active Handling disabled it didn't matter whether you had a sensor reporting 0 tire pressure or no sensors at all the system couldn't use AH to apply the brakes so you could keep on driving.

If you have a C5 or C7 there is no need to pull the steering sensor connector because these systems don't react the way the C6 system does. Both the C5 and C7 can run at speed with no sensors in the wheels. Their systems warn the driver but don't intervene in the operation of the vehicle. I think the C6 got hit by some lawyer's liability concerns and once they incorporated the sequence in the system they didn't get rid of it until C6 production ended. I also believe they got an earful of complaints about interfering with how owners wanted to drive their cars.

Bill
HC Mechanic (04-25-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 09:43 PM
polyol
Racer

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
Correct, you either installs the TPMSs or unhook the steering sensor or your day is ruined.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:49 PM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 696 Likes on 444 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Ok, got it. Sorry for the naive question that has probably been answered many times, but I’m new to this.
Thanks!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:43 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Wanted to ask this again:

If you turn off all the nannies by holding down the TC button, what "mode" does it put the shocks in?

Also, what happens if you pull the fuse with no TPMS for the mag ride?
Old 04-08-2018, 04:56 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
On my C5 z06 we did this back in 2003, during the One Lap of America. The active handling was malfuntioning and DRM contacted GM and was told that disconnecting the steering position sensor was the way to completely disable active handling without affecting abs. I always wondered if that would work on C6s. Guess we have our answer.

I have done this to everyone of my GM vehicles since 2003, Works in my 2012 Silverado, Pontiac, 05 Vette. Cant drive in snow with active handling. Prior to steering sensor disconnect Silverado would turn active handling back on over 45 mph.
HC Mechanic (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 05:04 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by John B
I have done this to everyone of my GM vehicles since 2003, Works in my 2012 Silverado, Pontiac, 05 Vette. Cant drive in snow with active handling. Prior to steering sensor disconnect Silverado would turn active handling back on over 45 mph.
I’ve done the same

It’s really nice driving now and not getting any surprises. For me it’s better all around with it unplugged.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:54 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default How is C5 Traction Control affected?

In a 1999 FRC:

I have unhooked the steering wheel position sensor (SWPS) to deactivate active handling. That seems to have also deactivated traction control; pushing the traction control button no longer causes any change in dash display, and the amber traction symbol (near the speedometer) is constantly lit.

I am unclear on whether disconnecting the SWPS deactivates TC. Some threads say that TC remains active while others say that it is deactivated along with active handling. Prior to this, I have been unconcerned about that, as I am willing to drive without the nannies (ABS remains active).

But on my first track day with this car, I noticed a strong vibration when accelerating out of curves (especially left hand turns). The vibration was proportional to RPM, and I could reduce it by taking a wider line through the curve.

This experience makes me wonder: Might Traction control still be available with the SWPS disconnected, and if so, might my vibration be the TC system trying to kick in and do its job? In which case, maybe my amber idiot light on the dash is telling me the TC really does require a repair.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:04 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

So we think that just turning off everything keeps the MRC in a soft mode. Is there any way to defeat TC but keep suspension stiff?

Get notified of new replies

To Active handling defeated!

Old 04-24-2018, 05:32 PM
polyol
Racer

Originally Posted by emptnest
In a 1999 FRC:

I have unhooked the steering wheel position sensor (SWPS) to deactivate active handling. That seems to have also deactivated traction control; pushing the traction control button no longer causes any change in dash display, and the amber traction symbol (near the speedometer) is constantly lit.

I am unclear on whether disconnecting the SWPS deactivates TC. Some threads say that TC remains active while others say that it is deactivated along with active handling. Prior to this, I have been unconcerned about that, as I am willing to drive without the nannies (ABS remains active).

But on my first track day with this car, I noticed a strong vibration when accelerating out of curves (especially left hand turns). The vibration was proportional to RPM, and I could reduce it by taking a wider line through the curve.

This experience makes me wonder: Might Traction control still be available with the SWPS disconnected, and if so, might my vibration be the TC system trying to kick in and do its job? In which case, maybe my amber idiot light on the dash is telling me the TC really does require a repair.
When I am at the track (and my steering position sensor has been unhooked), the traction control still works. I am 100% positive of that. With it on (TC) and driving very aggressive I can engage it and it is pretty obvious...
HC Mechanic (04-25-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 05:33 PM
polyol
Racer

Originally Posted by village idiot
So we think that just turning off everything keeps the MRC in a soft mode. Is there any way to defeat TC but keep suspension stiff?
My rig does not have mag ride so I just dont know.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:15 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by emptnest
In a 1999 FRC:

According to Bill above in this thread - C5’s and C7’s are unaffected buy the tire pressure sensors working or not.

Quick Reply: Active handling defeated!