Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st AutoX Simple Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 06:42 PM
Fast Cars & Horses
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
Default 1st AutoX Simple Question

I'm going to my very 1st autoX this weekend in my C5 (not Z06). It's for local fun, but I do want to do things correct. I'm unsure of how much air I should start out with in my tires. I have Michelin Pilot Sport AS plus ZP on my car. I know if I get to like this a lot, things will change, but what is the recommendation for someone starting out for fun? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:20 PM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Here's a link to a tire manual that includes general principals:

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/asset..._NEW_FINAL.pdf
The following users liked this post:
Fast Cars & Horses (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 08:07 PM
firebirdfan
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

With those tires, pressure isn't going to matter. The sidewalls are far too stiff, and even if you did let air out of them the overall grip of the tire is seriously lacking.

Just go out and have fun. Keep them at 30 psi cold and just drive. They'll pick up some pressure as you run, but, again, it's not going to matter. If you're super concerned, just try to keep them at 30. You'll have to add air back in at the end of the day (or the next morning).

Once you get rid of the runflats, then worry about tire pressures.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:52 PM
akilbrid
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would set a goal of improving each lap. Whether you start 10 seconds off the fastest time or whatever, just remember it will take a lot of practice and car prep to get competitive. Just try to keep improving. Pay attention to your times, don't worry about the others.

And ask for advice whenever you can out there from the more experience people. A lot of autocross groups have instructors or seasoned vets that will go for a ride with you and give you tips.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:35 PM
Fast Cars & Horses
Racer

Thank you everybody. I have a set of rims to mount better tires on if I like it enough to get more serious. I kind of figured the run flats would be just good enough to get started and have fun while learning the game. So I'll use 30 psi and have fun.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:40 PM
RJonesC5Z
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get there early and walk the course a lot. If the club allows ask to ride along, most people are find taking someone on the first few runs. Ask someone with experience to ride with you on your first few runs.

Don’t be the newbe that shows up late, does not walk the course then has no clue where the course goes.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:08 PM
Fast Cars & Horses
Racer

Originally Posted by RJonesC5Z
Get there early and walk the course a lot. If the club allows ask to ride along, most people are find taking someone on the first few runs. Ask someone with experience to ride with you on your first few runs.

Don’t be the newbe that shows up late, does not walk the course then has no clue where the course goes.
Got that covered. They already gave me the option to have a ride along instructor on Sat., which is a test and tune day, and I immediately said yes. I'm an early bird type anyway, so I'll probably be one of the first ones there. I'm excited!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:46 PM
Rated-M3
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fast Cars & Horses
I'm going to my very 1st autoX this weekend in my C5 (not Z06). It's for local fun, but I do want to do things correct. I'm unsure of how much air I should start out with in my tires. I have Michelin Pilot Sport AS plus ZP on my car. I know if I get to like this a lot, things will change, but what is the recommendation for someone starting out for fun? Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't even worry about it as long as you have the factory tire pressure. Focus on car control and the "line," or racing line if that makes sense. Learning the line and hitting all the marks should be of greater importance. Don't worry about lap times and what cars are faster or slower. Speed will come with seat time.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:24 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start at 35 front, 32 rear. If they get hot, you can bleed some air off.

The car will work fine around 35 and 40 psi Front pressure,so you dont need to worry about this much. Rear should be a bit lower.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:09 PM
Fast Cars & Horses
Racer

OK...I'm hooked! Did about 15 test and tune runs and the next day we had 8 runs. The people were so helpful and made me feel very welcome. I have a lot to learn, but I didn't get lost and tried to keep the correct lines with help from a few guys who were gracious enough to be specific with me during the walk thrus. I never messed with the tire pressure, I left it 30 in the back and 32 in the front and probably need a little more next time. I absolutely need a different seat if I'm going to get better...the stock one sucks. I'll have so much fun all summer going to these. A really nice highly modified c5 coupe ran the 2nd fastest time, it was awesome to watch! Thanks so much for the help, I just hope my driving can improve enough to match the ability of this great handling machine!
Old 03-22-2016, 10:14 AM
RJonesC5Z
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Cars & Horses
I absolutely need a different seat if I'm going to get better...the stock one sucks. I'
Glad you had fun. If you did not know on the C5 (at least the ZO6) if you pull the lap belt all the way out it will lock and you can pull it tight. If you run with SCCA a seat will move you up a class. I wish I could do a race seat.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:39 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

To stay in your seat, many use Angelwing seat pads or you can make something yourself to pad both sides of your legs. Another cheap way to stay in the seat is go out and get a strap or belt that can go around your chest and seat back to fix you in place. This along with ratcheting the seat belt tight will work very well.

Focus on knowing the course, looking ahead, and the speed will come as you get smooth.

--Dan

Get notified of new replies

To 1st AutoX Simple Question

Quick Reply: 1st AutoX Simple Question