Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Left Axle Play at Diff - In Car Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 05:25 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default C5 Left Axle Play at Diff - In Car Fix?

Hey Gang - '99 FRC track car, stock rear differential. I've got a leaking left axle seal, and was planning on simply replacing the seal - but have found up/down play on stub as it goes into the left side cover. If I take the cover off, is there a bearing / bushing I can replace to make the play go away - or am I looking at a deeper issue where the diff will need to come out and be taken apart?

Brief video of play:

I've got a race this coming Sat & Sun and am hoping there is a reasonably easy fix, as I've got other systems apart for maintenance as it is.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:50 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by darguy
Hey Gang - '99 FRC track car, stock rear differential. I've got a leaking left axle seal, and was planning on simply replacing the seal - but have found up/down play on stub as it goes into the left side cover. If I take the cover off, is there a bearing / bushing I can replace to make the play go away - or am I looking at a deeper issue where the diff will need to come out and be taken apart?

Brief video of play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRO0JjQzNxY

I've got a race this coming Sat & Sun and am hoping there is a reasonably easy fix, as I've got other systems apart for maintenance as it is.

Pull the axle and look at it, drain the fluid and look for metal.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:47 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Found this awesome, long-running thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...and-right.html

One of the first couple pictures shows a needle bearing in the main housing that supports the left side CV shaft. I'm guessing that if that was worn I'd get some slop at the seal. I wonder how much corresponding wear there would be on the shaft...

It may require some exploration - but, (to refine the original question) does anyone know if this needle bearing can be changed in the car?

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Left Axle Play at Diff - In Car Fix?

Quick Reply: C5 Left Axle Play at Diff - In Car Fix?