Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Data Loggers recommendations..?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 02:57 PM
CaddyRacer
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

I run a SOLO for predictive timing and Track Addict for video and speeds Here's a shot from Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX
Old 11-18-2018, 05:48 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,397 Likes on 1,000 Posts

The problem with Harry's laptimer is it can be buggy and has very limited analysis ability. This past weekend my sessions data were somewhat ruined by the OBD link messing up (started happening recently, must have been a recent update) and the app stopped recording about halfway through 3 of my 4 sessions. Seems it didn't like 30 minute long sessions.

Also although people have proven that even with a 1 GHz gps, it is fairly accurate for lap times, maybe using a 10 ghz gps would help get better dsta but that's another sensor to have to worry about. Has anyone tried an external GPS and had good luck with it?

​​​​​
Old 11-18-2018, 06:15 PM
NiceGuySanti
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This has been my progression with data:

Harry's - frustrating experience because it wouldn't trigger on a regular basis - it worked then all of a sudden it didn't - this was a recurring theme

Harry's with external gps - I tried to solve the issue with an external GPS unit (Skypro xgps160) same result as above

Track addict with skypro xgps 160 - worked much better than Harry's but still couldn't be counted on 100%

Aim solo dl with smartycam hardwired into car - works pretty reliably although it acts up sometimes and I do not get data and or video. Video quality is pretty bad. Pulling data from my aim is not an easy task, nor is it something that someone can fully learn to do in a couple of minutes.

I just started using the Apex Pro unit and have not had any issues with it - It collects accurate gps data and makes data review much easier than with my aim, it is very easy to swap into a students car and use it to review their track sessions on my phone as soon as the car comes out of a hot track. Data is stored in my iphone and can be airdropped or sent over to another device instantly. I currently am running my aim with smartycam as well as a hardwired dash cam for better quality video and the Apex Pro unit. My last track day I didn't even pull the Aim from the car, I relied on the Apex unit solely.

Last edited by NiceGuySanti; 11-18-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:41 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NiceGuySanti
This has been my progression with data:

Harry's - frustrating experience because it wouldn't trigger on a regular basis - it worked then all of a sudden it didn't - this was a recurring theme

Harry's with external gps - I tried to solve the issue with an external GPS unit (Skypro xgps160) same result as above

Track addict with skypro xgps 160 - worked much better than Harry's but still couldn't be counted on 100%

Aim solo dl with smartycam hardwired into car - works pretty reliably although it acts up sometimes and I do not get data and or video. Video quality is pretty bad. Pulling data from my aim is not an easy task, nor is it something that someone can fully learn to do in a couple of minutes.

I just started using the Apex Pro unit and have not had any issues with it - It collects accurate gps data and makes data review much easier than with my aim, it is very easy to swap into a students car and use it to review their track sessions on my phone as soon as the car comes out of a hot track. Data is stored in my iphone and can be airdropped or sent over to another device instantly. I currently am running my aim with smartycam as well as a hardwired dash cam for better quality video and the Apex Pro unit. My last track day I didn't even pull the Aim from the car, I relied on the Apex unit solely.
Can you use the apex pro data to overlay videos ?? And or tie it into obd data?
Old 11-19-2018, 07:30 PM
NiceGuySanti
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Race Render software allows you to overlay data to a video file.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:59 PM
Schectermarc
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While I know they are no longer making it I use a Traqmate Traqdash Setup. Works great to get everything one would need for a trackday.
Always a cheap option when found useD. Video and Data sync great in RaceRender and tons of data
Old 11-23-2018, 03:12 AM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts

Is anyone using Autosport Labs products? Their RaceCapture thing looks pretty interesting.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:12 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Does anyone have a cable obd2 adapter for data? I can't stand the Bluetooth connection annoyances.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:23 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,405 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Don't forget if you have a C7 with the performance data recorder all the data is stored in the MP4 file. You just need the Cosworth Pi Toolbox software to do the analysis.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:45 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,782 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Don't forget if you have a C7 with the performance data recorder all the data is stored in the MP4 file. You just need the Cosworth Pi Toolbox software to do the analysis.
I think you just answered my question in a thread I *just* started!
The following users liked this post:
Poor-sha (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 08:07 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,405 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
I think you just answered my question in a thread I *just* started!
Just saw your other thread and chimed in there. I feel like I ought to get a commission from Cosworth
Old 11-28-2018, 01:32 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,782 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Just saw your other thread and chimed in there. I feel like I ought to get a commission from Cosworth
indeed, and thank you for the response in the other thread!

Quick Reply: GPS Data Loggers recommendations..?