Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: When do you think you will return to events?
Sometime in April or May
37.04%
Sometime in June
44.44%
in 2020 but not before July 1
14.81%
not until 2021
3.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

when is your next event scheduled?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 05:06 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Hitman_396
I can see why; it depends on the price ratio. You see with the cost high, it acts like a filter, so to speak. Not everyone can swing that. As a result, there are more available spots. This is pure economics, even though I did not take an economics class in school, only general social studies...but supply and demand baby, that's what it's all about!
exclusivity, same reason why Italian super cars cost 4~5 times more than a corvette but only offer 10 or 20% more performance. i will say that weather somebody can afford it and justify it are two separate things. On a website where most of the owners are in an income bracket to afford a second 2 seat sports car, and in a sub forum that caters to one of the more expensive hobbies I've ever done, most of us can probably afford it, however, can we justify it? That is something that only each of us can individually determine.

The following users liked this post:
Hitman227 (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 05:22 PM
Hitman227
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by clearwaterms
exclusivity, same reason why Italian super cars cost 4~5 times more than a corvette but only offer 10 or 20% more performance. i will say that weather somebody can afford it and justify it are two separate things. On a website where most of the owners are in an income bracket to afford a second 2 seat sports car, and in a sub forum that caters to one of the more expensive hobbies I've ever done, most of us can probably afford it, however, can we justify it? That is something that only each of us can individually determine.
Yes, yet, conversely that exclusivity offers the other side of the 'filter' I mentioned, just like Ferrari's. You get the goods, for the price paid, no questions asked. Here, it's an advantage - you get to romp!
Old 04-25-2020, 09:31 PM
Bossdog
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

My Pitt Race May 2/3 has been canceled. June 6/7 at Watkins Glen has not been canceled yet. I do Mid Ohio the 3rd week of August every year. I hope the season gets kicked off soon. .Autointerests was talking about live streaming drivers meetings via smart phones to be "covid compliant"
Old 04-25-2020, 09:55 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Well, the SCCA Daytona event was cancelled. Now who knows, maybe SCCA/Sebring early May, or Roebling Road end of June
Old 04-26-2020, 09:20 PM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Hoping for the middle of May for Sebring. It has not been cancelled yet.

No word yet on Sebring opening.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:33 AM
67Ranger
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I've got an event scheduled at the end of May, but many tracks in Texas are still running smaller track days or member days.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:26 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

$750 for 8 hours seems like alot of money. I am used to paying $150 ~ $185 for a 3 session 1/2 day and $200 ~ $300 for a 5 session full day. Why would somebody pay 2-3 times that for 8 hours of track time.
Take my advice - do not ever go w2w then! You spend a LOT of money and you get much less track time...then again....the track time you get is full-on adrenaline-induced CRAZINESS! Just giving some perspective!

Private events are still going on here in Texas. Some tracks in Texas are still doing member days as well as Open Track Days, with "social distancing" precautions put into place...The June Sprints (Road America) are still on as of now. Trans Am is racing at Indy the weekend after that....so, getting close to getting back to "normal."
Old 04-27-2020, 04:11 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
Take my advice - do not ever go w2w then! You spend a LOT of money and you get much less track time...then again....the track time you get is full-on adrenaline-induced CRAZINESS! Just giving some perspective!
I feel like racing is alot like boating. If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it. I very much appreciate you re-enforcing my opinion that I will stick to track days and autocross events in my street car for the foreseeable future.
Captain Buddha (04-27-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 09:22 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

We will be at GingerMan Raceway this weekend with full social distancing protocols in place. We are going to be the first event of 2020 in the midwest and sold out a few days ago.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:33 AM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Originally Posted by Scooter70
We will be at GingerMan Raceway this weekend with full social distancing protocols in place. We are going to be the first event of 2020 in the midwest and sold out a few days ago.
i'm jealous. I have never been to gingerman. I have done Autobahn and putnam. This year I am planning to mostly drive with SCCA chicago which means Autobahn and blackhawk. I used to ride bikes at Putnam years ago and really liked that track for how it flowed.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:47 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Got an email from Speed Ventures here in SoCal that the event at ACS this weekend is officially cancelled. Going forward they'll make the determination the Thursday before the event.

Given that there's no imminent plans to re-open the state. I'm still guessing sometime in June at best and likely July/August.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:43 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

i'm jealous. I have never been to gingerman. I have done Autobahn and putnam. This year I am planning to mostly drive with SCCA chicago which means Autobahn and blackhawk. I used to ride bikes at Putnam years ago and really liked that track for how it flowed.
As of right now we have a high speed autocross scheduled for May 30-31 at Putnam. If interested, find our flyer here: http://www.indianaregion.org/uploads...gistration.pdf This event is just like an autocross but on a high speed road course but without cones - 1 lap at a time.

My NCCC region's first autocross event has been postponed from May 9-10 to June 6-7. It is at Grissom.

Hoping to get in an autocross with the Midwest region at Rantoul on Memeorial day weekend.

Last edited by vettehardt; 04-28-2020 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:48 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

The COMMA Race Series is kicking off Round 1 starting this Friday (May 1-3) at Hallett in OK! COMMA is the in-house race series for Hallett.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:08 AM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Originally Posted by vettehardt
As of right now we have a high speed autocross scheduled for May 30-31 at Putnam. If interested, find our flyer here: http://www.indianaregion.org/uploads...gistration.pdf This event is just like an autocross but on a high speed road course but without cones - 1 lap at a time.

My NCCC region's first autocross event has been postponed from May 9-10 to June 6-7. It is at Grissom.

Hoping to get in an autocross with the Midwest region at Rantoul on Memeorial day weekend.
In chicago we call them "tracksprints" and the TSCCC does them at autobahn. I checked out the link and have a few questions.

I have a few questions about the event itself.
1. Is the only option for Tech on friday night? If I only wanted to drive one of the days when is tech available?
2. 4 events a day does that mean 4 laps or 4 20 min sessions and you run a lap, pit, wait, repeat for 20 minutes.
3. what is being done to preserve social distancing? Most places are no longer accepting paper transactions to limit contact is that an option for this event?
4. is there a surcharge if I am not a member of the NCCC or is it a requirement?

Thanks

Last edited by clearwaterms; 04-30-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:28 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

In chicago we call them "tracksprints" and the TSCCC does them at autobahn. I checked out the link and have a few questions.

I have a few questions about the event itself.
1. Is the only option for Tech on friday night? If I only wanted to drive one of the days when is tech available?
2. 4 events a day does that mean 4 laps or 4 20 min sessions and you run a lap, pit, wait, repeat for 20 minutes.
3. what is being done to preserve social distancing? Most places are no longer accepting paper transactions to limit contact is that an option for this event?
4. is there a surcharge if I am not a member of the NCCC or is it a requirement?

Thanks
1. There will be tech at the track each morning for those that don't come in on Friday.
2. You will get 2 or 3 runs per event, so 8-12 laps. If there is time left over at the end of the day, we usually let people go out for some lapping. Either 10min or 5 laps at a time.
3. Nothing in place that I know of at the moment, however I'm not directly involved with the planning. I will be doing the tech inspection. Currently my region doesn't have anything set up to do online registration or payment that I know of.
4. No surcharge for Non NCCC. However, IF we reach our limit of 100 drivers, we will accept NCCC members first and then fill in the rest with non NCCC on a first come first serve basis. We haven't been near our limit in the past few years. However, this is a warm up event for our NCCC convention which will be there in July. There may be more people coming to practice on the track before our national event.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:57 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts

I feel like racing is alot like boating. If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it. I very much appreciate you re-enforcing my opinion that I will stick to track days and autocross events in my street car for the foreseeable future.
If you want to race, look at budget endurance groups like ChampCar, Lucky Dog, etc (maybe WRL too? I've only read a little bit about it). The races are looong - usually the format is something like 8 hours Saturday plus 8 hours Sunday, but 24 hours is common too. So it takes a team to do it, and by "team" I just mean "a bunch of friends who like to play with cars." So you don't need to hire a pit crew, and the rest of the costs divide out through the team. It's still not exactly cheap, but it's closer to the cost of HPDE and it's a ton of fun.

Some teams will sell an arrive-and-drive spot for a weekend, so that might be a way to get your feet wet.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:06 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,679 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

NASA just announced the new protocols to hopefully allow us to reasonably comply with social distancing etc so that they agree to open up the damn race tracks!!

https://www.nasaproracing.com/news/2...ombat_covid-19

Also trying to get NJMP opened in time for the NASA race in early June. Help us with the petition to the Governor!!

https://www.change.org/p/phil-murphy...ent_en-us%3Av1

Get notified of new replies

To when is your next event scheduled?

Old 05-03-2020, 02:12 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts

The answer there is it depends. I no longer buy brakes or tires because I can get them from the contingency programs for free. I decided not to race my Z06 as it would bleed me dry, so I went with a 4th gen Camaro instead. It's damn cheap to keep alive. Rebuilt the engine in 2015 for around $800 in parts and transmission over this past winter for a little over a grand. Replaced the diff for under $500. You need a little context, because to say racing is more expensive doesn't mean it's true. It can be done cheap and that doesn't mean you have to ride midpack. Now if the goal were to win ST2 at Nationals in a Corvette, yes, you'd be better off switching hobbies to hookers and cocaine.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:58 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
The answer there is it depends. I no longer buy brakes or tires because I can get them from the contingency programs for free. I decided not to race my Z06 as it would bleed me dry, so I went with a 4th gen Camaro instead. It's damn cheap to keep alive. Rebuilt the engine in 2015 for around $800 in parts and transmission over this past winter for a little over a grand. Replaced the diff for under $500. You need a little context, because to say racing is more expensive doesn't mean it's true. It can be done cheap and that doesn't mean you have to ride midpack. Now if the goal were to win ST2 at Nationals in a Corvette, yes, you'd be better off switching hobbies to hookers and cocaine.
The motor in my ASA / GTA car popped this weekend...hole in the block...guess a piston wanted to "social distance"...LOL...sheesh...so, the new motor, well...it's not going to be cheap....when it popped there was oil smoke everywhere...I thought I was on fire...I got the car stopped off-line and made a quick exit...it was just oil smoke...and it was only a few laps in...had it been later in the session and everything really hot...could've really been bad...however...keep in mind, I bought this car years back for $22K turn-key (used, of course - it's a 2002/2003 - would've been at least $80K new)...it's the care and feeding that gets pricey...the last rebuild was 3 years ago...it went 12 years before that...same block...and this is a FAST car...and SAFE...one of the best bang for your buck "values" in racing...with SPEED and SAFETY....180 mph through the tri-oval at Daytona is a RUSH!!
Old 05-04-2020, 02:04 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
The motor in my ASA / GTA car popped this weekend...hole in the block...guess a piston wanted to "social distance"...LOL...sheesh...so, the new motor, well...it's not going to be cheap....when it popped there was oil smoke everywhere...I thought I was on fire...I got the car stopped off-line and made a quick exit...it was just oil smoke...and it was only a few laps in...had it been later in the session and everything really hot...could've really been bad...however...keep in mind, I bought this car years back for $22K turn-key (used, of course - it's a 2002/2003 - would've been at least $80K new)...it's the care and feeding that gets pricey...the last rebuild was 3 years ago...it went 12 years before that...same block...and this is a FAST car...and SAFE...one of the best bang for your buck "values" in racing...with SPEED and SAFETY....180 mph through the tri-oval at Daytona is a RUSH!!
A friend here got an old TA2 car. He let me take it for a rip, man was that an experience. I barely scratched the surface with what that car could do and agreed on the safe part.
Captain Buddha (05-04-2020)

Quick Reply: when is your next event scheduled?