Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: When do you think you will return to events?
Sometime in April or May
37.04%
Sometime in June
44.44%
in 2020 but not before July 1
14.81%
not until 2021
3.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

when is your next event scheduled?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 06:28 PM
TDCFPC
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

Mordeth , pretty sure you were my instructor at a Chin Watkins Glen event about 2 years ago. It was an early Sept event and I was driving a white/blue GT350. Well, I traded in and have a 2019 Grand Sport now. Filled in the petition to open jersey tracks.

Next event is New York Safety Track May 15&16th and my first in this Grand Sport. Excited to compare against the Shelby.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:14 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by TDCFPC
Mordeth , pretty sure you were my instructor at a Chin Watkins Glen event about 2 years ago. It was an early Sept event and I was driving a white/blue GT350. Well, I traded in and have a 2019 Grand Sport now. Filled in the petition to open jersey tracks.

Next event is New York Safety Track May 15&16th and my first in this Grand Sport. Excited to compare against the Shelby.
Yep was probably me! I instruct with Chin and remember a very smooth driver in a nice Mustang a few years ago.

There is a high probability I make it to that event at New York Safety Track. I was originally planning to shake my car down before actual racing starts while instructing at a PCA event in late May at Watkins Glen, but just got the email this morning that it was canceled (and Trackmasters canceled too for later this month at the Glen so that's out). So now I'm seriously thinking about heading to the NY Safety Track. Mostly because I'm having withdrawal and I also need to get my car on the track for some testing. You ever been to that track? I haven't.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:01 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Now registered for an scca weekend at Sebring June 5-7
Old 05-06-2020, 10:09 PM
TDCFPC
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

I have twice. It’s a fun tight technical track and if you are running your C6 track car not sure you will like it. Reason I say that is your car is an animal and may feel like a caged beast on the relatively tight confines of the track. But maybe you don’t mind the lower speeds and off camber and often blind turns. There are two tight corners that most cars run about 40mph and the straight will get you only about 130.
Here is a good video of the track as seen from a Shelby GT350 (not mine but the driver is very competent, Ken Housel, this was his first time there and was only a few seconds off the track record set by a Viper ACR)

I still remember the ride along in your car at Watkins Glen. Running that track at 2 minutes flat was a helluva lot of fun (you were taking it easy when you had me in the car)
The following users liked this post:
Mordeth (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 10:39 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Thanks much for that vid and info. Very helpful!! Been looking for a good video to review.

If I go, I hope to see you there!! Would also love to check out your new C7 GS. Fantastic track car. I think I remember you explaining to me about a transmission overheating issue or whatever with the GT350s from certain years. But yours got around pretty well from what I recall and sounded/looked great.

Anthony
The following users liked this post:
TDCFPC (05-08-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 11:53 PM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Chin will be at Watkins early July
Old 05-08-2020, 09:12 PM
dmyers
Racer

Location: A place where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I just got a refund notice from Motorsportreg.com for the NCM HPDE at VIR on June 22-23. I’m assuming that means that it’s been cancelled. The first one I’m going to be able to make in the last 3-4 years and it gets cancelled...
Old 05-08-2020, 09:27 PM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by dmyers
I just got a refund notice from Motorsportreg.com for the NCM HPDE at VIR on June 22-23. I’m assuming that means that it’s been cancelled. The first one I’m going to be able to make in the last 3-4 years and it gets cancelled...
This happened to me today as well. My discover card got hacked lately and they issued a new one, I figured they tried to bill my old card it as I registered before Corona and it failed, so I re-registered again today, roster still showed my name. I got email later saying I was successfully registered, at this point I'm not sure what is going on.

Your order has been successfully processed and PAID IN FULL:
Payment is for the following event:
NCM HPDE at VIR NCM Motorsports Park When: Jun 22, 2020 - Jun 23, 2020 Where: Virginia International Raceway, Alton, VA

Old 05-10-2020, 12:16 AM
dmyers
Racer

Location: A place where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

I had a buddy that was going with me get his refunded too. I think I’ll call on Monday and see what the story is.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:15 AM
VRYALT3R3D
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

It was supposed to be Road America with MVP in early June but I don't see that happening now.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:19 PM
dmyers
Racer

Originally Posted by tw78911sc
This happened to me today as well. My discover card got hacked lately and they issued a new one, I figured they tried to bill my old card it as I registered before Corona and it failed, so I re-registered again today, roster still showed my name. I got email later saying I was successfully registered, at this point I'm not sure what is going on.

Your order has been successfully processed and PAID IN FULL:
Payment is for the following event:
NCM HPDE at VIR NCM Motorsports Park When: Jun 22, 2020 - Jun 23, 2020 Where: Virginia International Raceway, Alton, VA
Motorsportsreg.com now has a notice that this event was cancelled on Ma 8, 2020.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:18 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by dmyers
Yup, NCM on MSR shows cancelled now. This one is a real punch in the gut. The events i missed so far I expected to. This event I was super excited to attend for the first time and thought this one would be a go. Time to figure out something else........
Old 05-11-2020, 09:08 AM
VRYALT3R3D
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

I would think, of all sports, HPDEs would be the easiest to social distance....
Old 05-11-2020, 06:27 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D
I would think, of all sports, HPDEs would be the easiest to social distance....
...until/unless there's a bad crash.

Every event I've been to has had EMTs on standby. Is that standard practice everywhere?

I could see it being harder to recruit EMTs for that sort of job these days.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:37 PM
daveb91
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

First autox here in WV is on the 23rd only 25 car limit though.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:08 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, the event at Putnam Park on May 30-31 has been canceled. We still have an autocross at Grissom on June 5-7 still scheduled.

We were still trying to put on the Putnam event, but didnt' have enough entries to make it feesable. We were in line to loose $15000+ so we had to cancel.

The Grissom event there won't be any loss, so it is a go at this point. Check http://www.indianaregion.org/ for information.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:53 AM
rico750sxi
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 138 Posts

I’ll be at NYST Friday but Hooked on Driving at Pocono for this Sunday has been rescheduled for August 2nd.

Get notified of new replies

To when is your next event scheduled?

Old 05-13-2020, 10:10 AM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by vettehardt
Well, the event at Putnam Park on May 30-31 has been canceled. We still have an autocross at Grissom on June 5-7 still scheduled.

We were still trying to put on the Putnam event, but didnt' have enough entries to make it feesable. We were in line to loose $15000+ so we had to cancel.

The Grissom event there won't be any loss, so it is a go at this point. Check http://www.indianaregion.org/ for information.
That stinks. The governor of Illinois stated yesterday that he doesn't think we will hit the peak until Mid June now. Our Re/Rt is by some accounts 1.2 and others .9. Based on that and Illinois's 5 phase restart strategy, that means we won't move into Phase 3 in the northern portions of the state in June and it means we might not get to phase 4 (where Autocross can be done at normal capacity wearing face masks, etc.) I am getting the sense that Autocross events will be difficult to conduct safely and most organizers will elect to limit participation (which will likely raise prices) or cancel events entirely.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:45 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by clearwaterms
That stinks. The governor of Illinois stated yesterday that he doesn't think we will hit the peak until Mid June now. Our Re/Rt is by some accounts 1.2 and others .9. Based on that and Illinois's 5 phase restart strategy, that means we won't move into Phase 3 in the northern portions of the state in June and it means we might not get to phase 4 (where Autocross can be done at normal capacity wearing face masks, etc.) I am getting the sense that Autocross events will be difficult to conduct safely and most organizers will elect to limit participation (which will likely raise prices) or cancel events entirely.
If everything stays on track, Indiana will be open by July 4th. Our NCCC national convention is that next week July 5-10. We are hoping everything goes as planned and we can hold it. 2+years of planning has gone into it and no way to reschedule if it is canceled.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:59 AM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by vettehardt
If everything stays on track, Indiana will be open by July 4th. Our NCCC national convention is that next week July 5-10. We are hoping everything goes as planned and we can hold it. 2+years of planning has gone into it and no way to reschedule if it is canceled.
fingers crossed. Are you worried about attendance? Even if you're state allows it to happen, do you think the majority of individuals will feel safe? What precautions are you planning to take to ensure the safety of the participants? Maybe you could offer Corvette branded face masks available for purchase (or included in the goody bag at registration) <- merchandising opportunity

Quick Reply: when is your next event scheduled?