Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

control arm bushings? What are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 02:13 PM
AQWIKZ
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default control arm bushings? What are you using?

good day all,

I am looking to changing out the factory rubber bushings in my 2007 Z06 control arms. car is a daily driver with a couple of track sessions a year. just wondering what everyone is using. really don't want anything too harsh for the street.
Global West Suspension has a nice set up. Borg Motorsports has another nice setup with Delrin. Appreciate the help.
Old 12-24-2020, 04:23 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

I went with Vansteel Delrin. The ride is stiffer than stock but not to bad.
The following users liked this post:
Kubs (01-05-2021)
Old 12-24-2020, 05:35 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts

I have Ridetech's kit, but any kit with teflon-infused Delrin will probably be equivalent.

I agree that it's not bad for daily driving. You will feel the road a bit more, but it's not so different from going up an inch in wheel size.

It might pay for itself in tire life, since the shoulders don't wear off so quickly when the wheels hold their camber in the turns.
Old 12-24-2020, 05:55 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 719 Likes on 499 Posts

I have poly currently, but next time around I'll go with the Borg Delrin. I've installed a few and they are very very nice.

Borg Motorsports (12-28-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 06:48 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 87 Posts

I just finished the Borg delrin install today! Combined it with other work that I had to do on the car so it wasn't too bad. Pressed out all of the old bushings with a large C-clamp, pulled dog bones by clamping in a vise and rotating the control arm.
Old 12-25-2020, 06:16 AM
EZ Glider
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I just finished the Left side of the car doing Borg Delrin. Very nice parts and perfect fit. Really was not as big of a job as I thought. I expect the right side will go quicker. Left took a day changing shocks and hubs too and not rushing.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:27 PM
jw1
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ Glider
I just finished the Left side of the car doing Borg Delrin. Very nice parts and perfect fit. Really was not as big of a job as I thought. I expect the right side will go quicker. Left took a day changing shocks and hubs too and not rushing.
Good to hear. I will be starting on my Borg Motorsports bushing install on Monday.
Old 12-25-2020, 08:10 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 177 Posts

I have the Borg’s on my car.

Awesome customer service.
Old 12-26-2020, 12:34 AM
GS_DAN
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I plan to start my Borg Delrin control arm bushing install this week.
With all these kits going out recently, would be neat if someone did a step by step install write up... sure a lot of the stuff is straight forward, but as someone who has just changed the shocks and minor engine mods (accountant by trade), it'd be helpful to know any tips & tricks or torque specs without having to search all over YouTube and corvette forum.
Old 12-26-2020, 12:43 AM
CaddyRacer
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 77 Posts

I have a C7 Z06 daily driver that I track often
I went with LG monoball control arm kit about a month ago
WOW, a major improvement
I recall hearing years ago solid bushings were super loud and super stiff...nope
true the ride is a little firmer...but in a good way
Makes the car feel lighter and accelerate and brake harder

Talk to Dane or Vance or Sergio at LG

I should be at COTA March 27 & 28, 2021 with Edge Addicts should you want to see it in action
I'm also a member at Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, TX
yes I paid full price for LG kit and no I do not work for LG

--Jerry

The following 2 users liked this post by CaddyRacer:
chandretti15 (12-26-2020), richardnielsen (12-26-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 11:56 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,081 Likes on 650 Posts

I have had Delrin on the car for 5 seasons installed by Phoenix Performance. It was honestly the best mod I ever did to the car at the time. It was transformational going from the stock bushings to those.

After 5 seasons there were a couple showing some wear. Going with the AMT monoballs this time around. Excited to see how they work.
richardnielsen (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 06:49 PM
Borg Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GS_DAN
With all these kits going out recently, would be neat if someone did a step by step install write up... sure a lot of the stuff is straight forward, but as someone who has just changed the shocks and minor engine mods (accountant by trade), it'd be helpful to know any tips & tricks or torque specs without having to search all over YouTube and corvette forum.
I'm not sure if this substitutes for a forum write up, but here's the installation video I did a while back for all of our customers.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:50 PM
Borg Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Thanks for the overwhelmingly positive feedback, everyone! It makes the super long days in the shop over the past month worth it. Glad everyone is so happy with their recent purchases.
The following 4 users liked this post by Borg Motorsports:
jrfjrf (01-05-2021), richardnielsen (12-28-2020), smitty2919 (01-05-2021), xene106 (01-03-2021)
Old 12-28-2020, 08:37 PM
EZ Glider
Instructor

The video is very good, I pulled the dogbones just like Lane said. Got a small arbor press and used it just like he did. My press opening at the bottom was too small for the bushing to go through so I used a 1 1/2, and 2" PVC coupling to give the rubber bushing someplace to go as it leaves the control arm. I was nervous about PVC holding up but it worked like a champ. Mine is done now and you would expect the 2nd side went faster than the 1st. I changed the bushings, shocks and hubs during this project. On Jackstands with your basic tools you can easily do each side in 5 hrs solo. This is not rushing, checking the shop manual for torque specs, etc. First time I have done this type of mechanical work but it went very smoothly. Test drive was great too. I plan to drive it tomorrow for an hour then pull the wheels and re torque everything then send it out to alignment.

I was very impressed with the Brog quality and fit. every bushing seemed to fit perfectly. Just a very light interference that you could easily press in with your fingers. The printed directions and video make it seem more complicated than it is if you are not using offset bushings. All of the stuff related to set screws, etc. do not apply in that case so it is pretty straight forward.

Good Luck,

Jeff

Good Luck,

Jeff

Last edited by EZ Glider; 12-29-2020 at 06:23 AM.
Borg Motorsports (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 10:18 AM
GS_DAN
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I've got almost everything torn down now, just working on the stubborn lower ball joints and then hopefully pulling axles out. I need to find the Tq specs, think I've got that covered. Is it recommended to put any type of anti-seize on the suspension bolts? (not bushings..) Also, would it be recommended to keep one of the washers out from any of the Upper dog bones to achieve more negative camber? Will consult with an alignment shop first as well. I run AutoX and a few HPDE a year running 100TW tires typically. Few hundred miles a year on the street.

Thanks

Last edited by GS_DAN; 12-29-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:44 PM
Borg Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by EZ Glider
The video is very good, I pulled the dogbones just like Lane said. Got a small arbor press and used it just like he did. My press opening at the bottom was too small for the bushing to go through so I used a 1 1/2, and 2" PVC coupling to give the rubber bushing someplace to go as it leaves the control arm. I was nervous about PVC holding up but it worked like a champ. Mine is done now and you would expect the 2nd side went faster than the 1st. I changed the bushings, shocks and hubs during this project. On Jackstands with your basic tools you can easily do each side in 5 hrs solo. This is not rushing, checking the shop manual for torque specs, etc. First time I have done this type of mechanical work but it went very smoothly. Test drive was great too. I plan to drive it tomorrow for an hour then pull the wheels and re torque everything then send it out to alignment.

I was very impressed with the Brog quality and fit. every bushing seemed to fit perfectly. Just a very light interference that you could easily press in with your fingers. The printed directions and video make it seem more complicated than it is if you are not using offset bushings. All of the stuff related to set screws, etc. do not apply in that case so it is pretty straight forward.

Good Luck,

Jeff

Good Luck,

Jeff
Glad to hear it was a positive experience for you!
Old 12-29-2020, 12:47 PM
Borg Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

I've got almost everything torn down now, just working on the stubborn lower ball joints and then hopefully pulling axles out. I need to find the Tq specs, think I've got that covered. Is it recommended to put any type of anti-seize on the suspension bolts? (not bushings..) Also, would it be recommended to keep one of the washers out from any of the Upper dog bones to achieve more negative camber? Will consult with an alignment shop first as well. I run AutoX and a few HPDE a year running 100TW tires typically. Few hundred miles a year on the street.

Thanks
Many people pull as many of these washers as possible. On aluminum frame cars, I believe GM recommends keeping the rearmost washer installed at all times. IIRC it's the thicker washer of the bunch. These spacers are used to get the alignment range tuned in properly to account for manufacturing variability in the frames. If there's a big discrepancy in the number of washers under one bolt, you might want to put the arm on the car unbolted and just make sure the trunnions sit close to flat against the frame. I had one customer that kept having a snap ring/washer pop out when he bolted his control arm down. It turned out that one of the bolt positions on his frame was out by like 1/4" or so. Leaving the washers in that position as a new baseline for his alignments solved all of those issues.

Get notified of new replies

To control arm bushings? What are you using?

Old 12-29-2020, 03:05 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

LG put this video out awhile back....

Fishy Dave (12-30-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 03:41 PM
AQWIKZ
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

wow!! a lot of people doing the delrin install. how is the ride with the delrin bushings.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:47 PM
EZ Glider
Instructor

The ride is fine. You have a little more road noise and you can feel the expansion joints in the road more, but it is not objectionable. I have not driven it aggressively yet. Put an hour on it today to get things settled and will pull the wheels tomorrow and re torque everything, and then out for alignment.

Quick Reply: control arm bushings? What are you using?