Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

Is Corvette Mid Year Prices Dropping? Help Please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:51 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by onevetteguy
Just noticed a senior member who posted the blue 66 L-72 roadster for One Hundred and Thirty Thousand dollars here today - wow ! if midyears get much cheaper I will have to become a two vette guy !

I don't think he thinks there is a market correction though, same price as last year.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1856091
Old 05-27-2008, 08:09 AM
jammovette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug F.
I, being much less opportunistic than onevetteguy , will pay $6000 for any year any HP big block coupe!
You just missed a 68 BB convertible that sold for $8500 yesterday on ebay. It was all there. I'm starting to get that itch and a "corvette fever" too . The only cure is to add another vette to the bunch.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Stingxray
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

I Think Jammovette is on to somthing here??????????......Prices are not set by the seller. Their set by the buyer! And always have been! If people see more value in a bag of Rice than a NM BB Midyear. Than thats what the market will bear. Necessity ...... BOOM to Bust ...... human nature........... nuff said

Tax rebate = Economic crack............Stagflation or worse ..Hyperinflation. Double digit's........ a month!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWLvc3AFtMg

Last edited by Stingxray; 05-28-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:16 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,366 Likes on 2,789 Posts

Originally Posted by 32hibo
People who have never been outside the USA.....It CAN get a lot worse....in many places the price of ANY car means NOTHING.....
15,000 plus just died in China...did you REALLY care if they owned a Corvette or not???? Thats about how much most care about you or any vette....most just want to eat and have a place to live....we are out of touch....THERE are wealthy everywere and some do respect enjoy things that most cant have however they are not the norm.....
Not really sure what you are getting out of this forum in the first place.

Originally Posted by Paul_DC
As someone in the market, I'd be curious to see what you consider a freakishly low offer and what you consider a starting point of a negotiation on the sale of the car. Assuming that you are aiming for a win-win negotiation vs. a win-lose negotiation.

In my experience (albeit not in the corvette market), low-ball offers MAY be either the result of "tire kickers," a seller's price being higher than the market will support, or the starting point of a negotiation. So, just looking for thoughts really...
I think the problem as referenced by the guy who was insulted by low-ball offers, is that people continue to get all personally caught up in the cars and the offers. Corvette owners by far are the most emotionally connected owners as well as are the most delusional regarding the value of their cars. When I sell a car and someone for whatever the reason makes a ridiculously low offer, I generally tell them it's unlikely we would be able to come to an agreement so we probably don't need to talk about it any more and thank them for their time. No histronics. Have a nice day. Similarly, I may make a low offer for whatever reason and its unfortunate when the seller gets his feelings hurt. Sell it or don't sell it, nothing personal. Why get "insulted?" Just say no, thank you.

This also goes back to the people who make frustrated posts about potential "buyers" not calling back or stringing them along. Get your emotions out of the buying and selling and your blood pressure will improve dramatically.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Injected Stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Corvette owners are more emotionally involved than most specialty car owners. I have a friend that has bought a few cars way under market by low balling a frustrated seller. The market for Corvettes and every other gas guzzling toy there is will fall and fall fast as gas continues to rise. Just look at Boat values! The Corvette guys that wish they sold last year will be crying for the next 5 years and the ones that don't want to sell will just enjoy there cars.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:31 PM
jammovette
Pro

If you're into corvettes to make money, you're going to be disappointed in your classic vette returns within the next few years. I suggest that if you fall into this catagory, sell now and buy mopeds and entry-level motorcycles and flip them. I however buy and drive my vintage corvettes daily for the interest and passion I have for them. Looking for another solid axel now, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Pm me if you fall into the first category and have a C-1, sell to me and buy a motorcycle.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:19 PM
32hibo
Advanced

Default Not really sure what YOU mean in the first place!!!

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Not really sure what you are getting out of this forum in the first place.

I think the problem as referenced by the guy who was insulted by low-ball offers, is that people continue to get all personally caught up in the cars and the offers. Corvette owners by far are the most emotionally connected owners as well as are the most delusional regarding the value of their cars. When I sell a car and someone for whatever the reason makes a ridiculously low offer, I generally tell them it's unlikely we would be able to come to an agreement so we probably don't need to talk about it any more and thank them for their time. No histronics. Have a nice day. Similarly, I may make a low offer for whatever reason and its unfortunate when the seller gets his feelings hurt. Sell it or don't sell it, nothing personal. Why get "insulted?" Just say no, thank you.

This also goes back to the people who make frustrated posts about potential "buyers" not calling back or stringing them along. Get your emotions out of the buying and selling and your blood pressure will improve dramatically.
What I am getting out of the forum is alot of people ....as I said.... ARE out of touch with the real world...as one gentleman said are the price of mid years going down??? Who Cares!!!...and YES I OWN one and part of another,,,,and a 2000....WANT to buy one????
Old 05-28-2008, 08:34 AM
tls630
Melting Slicks

I wish I had sold last year! But I didn't so I will live with it.. Again something is only worth what you can get for it, and no more than that.....
Old 06-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Johnny 66
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
Show me where the market is weak for quality, clean Midyears? Go back to last year and see what cars were selling for. Cars were 45-50K and now 50-55K, looks like a 10% increase to me. ............ I was just at Carlisle and cars were selling and money was flowing. It was packed but the nice cars were moving. Just my opinion.
Take a look at last summer's Carlisle Corvette auction.

Way too many cars didnt meet reserve. Cars are not selling. Most cars are way over priced and are not moving.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Carlisles Auction were off because no one wanted to spend a 100 bucks to be a bidder. The cars in the Fairgrounds moved, some didnt. If you go Thursday and Friday you will see what cars moved at Carlisle. If you look at Fleabay its the same cars over and over again. Put a car out there with a fair price and quality and it will go. I saw a car on Ebay at 104k -then to 89k then to 79k now its back at 104k and still sitting. Money is tight right now but for someone selling they have to be realistic and not want the crazy prices prior years were getting. I do see when cars get over 50k they get harder to sell and above 40k people want docs and #s matching. If you want a fair driver they can be had for under 40k. JMHO
Old 06-08-2008, 11:38 AM
66rag427
Racer

Not sure it always WILL...sad to say but I think what we are seeing is the end of an era in the American way of life...its been a long time coming but there are a lot of things in play and most are not good for what we have known for the last 50 years....Not dooms day preaching just the way I see it ...and no I dont have the answers...
People should have thought about this problem before they started sending all our money to Japan and then China. when you have a drain that large on your currency it will eventually reduce the standared of living for all of us. We can thank the old 60's hippies (my generation) with no loyalties. You get what you ask for.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Man said out of touch with world.

What is out of touch with world?

We are all in the same physical world, put are our personal worlds all the same?

Is there financial fear in some peoples world, while in others, there is not?

If there is financial fear in a persons world, is that person fear one of losing their wealth, are is it one of that person not having the means to support their image of perceived wealth due to being over leveraged.

One member posted that everything he possessed was paid for. Is he out of touch with the world because he's not worried about the price of Corvette rising are falling?

Could it just be he's always been in touch with his perception of the real world by never allowing himself to be fooled by the majority's perception of the world and allowed himself to be seduced into thinking that he could have it all by using debt leverage to show others how successful he is?

Is his perception of living within his means, mean he is out of touch with the real world?

Well, the answer to that one is easy, it's yes.

The reason it's yes is it seems that majority of the American people bought into the hype that taking on more debt than they could pay off at end of each month, instead of putting some money back to take care of themselves in the future was their right so they could live their preception of the "American Dream."

Now this discussion has been about selling price.

Selling prices always drop when people find themselves in the real world, plain and simple. Doesn't matter if your paper worth was $10,000,000.00 million are $100,000.00 thousand if you debt, which is always real, exceeds your real liquidity worth. You just can't make the payments on all that debt.

So if your one of those that doesn't have the liquidly to cover you debt due to economy that no longer allows you to just sell or borrow against assets to cover your debts at what you have in them are maybe a little more, "Welcome to the REAL WORLD of what you perceived to be your right to live the "American Dream," with leveraged debt.

Sad part of this, is what in the hell is going to happen.

Some of you think we have runaway inflation now...LOL Your not living in the real world if you think we do.

If you think I'm crazy with that, statement, then your not old enough to have seen or remembered your parents talking about real runaway inflation we had in 70's, where food prices along with all other staple goods prices where being raised daily.

I do as I was changing those rising daily prices. People can say what they want to about Nixon, but if it had not been for his courage to freeze prices and enforce that freeze, you wouldn't be living your precieved world American Dream today.

Right now interest rates are low compared to then when they were then, in the high teens and twenties and that wasn't credit card rates as there was a cap on them that later got removed because their interest rates were so low compared to other rates.

Good thing at that time was the level of credit card debt was very small along with number of people that had them.

Sad thing about the way most Americans have decided to live the dream is you have put those Americans who live in the real world of manageable debt leveraging or no debt, at risk of losing it all too if things really get ugly and the term to describe the ecomony is not mild recession, but deep depression.

So if you starting to feel the pinch of using debt to live the American Dream, you might want to consider taking best offer on toys from someone that has the liquidly in hand to buy them, because people with cash are ability to leverage debt to purchase toys especially those that are not top flight quality toys are going to become fewer and fewer if things get worst, and the non top quality toys most of us own are going to have the biggest drop in prices.

So if you fear the real world because of debt obligations, just remember, I fear your debt obligations and lack of liquidly to cover them too. In fact in my perception of the real world, you are my greatest fear to destroying and taking away the American Dream for me.

Have a nice day, cause your ruining mine.... Pull the trigger and either buy are sell. Suck it up for now and try again later...

I hope I've killed this depression thread.

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 06-08-2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: To add, I hope I've killed this depression thread.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Johnny 66
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
Carlisles Auction were off because no one wanted to spend a 100 bucks to be a bidder. The cars in the Fairgrounds moved, some didnt. If you go Thursday and Friday you will see what cars moved at Carlisle. JMHO
I disagree, there were plenty of people bidding, but the bidding stopped long before the reserves were met. This is due only to unrealistic expectations of the seller. When the bidding ends, that is what your car is worth, whether you want to believe it or not. Especially when the owners of New England Mike's and Pro Team are sitting in their reserved front row seats.

As for SleazBay, I keep getting e-mails from them that the same car is being relisted. (about 5 times now.) When will that idiot get a clue?

As for driver quality under 40K, let me know when you find one. I am looking for a '66, and havent found one yet under 50K.

The most recent one I looked at, a convertible in Mosport Green, was listed for 42K, and it was pathetic. That car wasnt worth 30k.

Again, if you find a decent '66 driver quality for under 40K, please e-mail me immediately.

John
Old 06-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Johnny 66
Instructor

By the way, I was a bidder last year, and will be again this year. Lets hope the sellers got a dose of reality.

Has to be a '66.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

I cant find you a 66 but I know of a couple 65s and many 64s that are drivers under 40k. There is a 64 Coupe on here now for 28k thats a driver. There wasnt alot of everyday people plopping 100 bucks down to sit next to Corvette Mike or Terry. Barrett Jackson is making these auctions crazy, where people think that their car is worth alot more. It all comes down to what a guy wants to spend, and I was at carlisle Thursday and Friday and people were spending. They may not have been inside but outside they did. Saturday was a different story. People have to stop watching TV before they prive the cars. JMHO If you want a nice 66 and want a BB and will go 67K I can find you one.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Johnny 66
Instructor

Bowtie,

I was born in '66, and have my heart set on one. Yes, I have seen plenty of 65 and 64, but the 66 seems to be a differant animal, and forget about the 67.

I saw a couple cars in the gallery (or what ever they call the for sale area) that were ok, drove a blue one a guy had from North Carolina, but he wouldnt budge on his 47K, and it seemed high. Hood was a a bit off color due to removing a stinger hood, etc, etc. I would have given him 42K, but he really wanted to tow it all the way back to North Carolina.

I am from Hanover, PA, 40 miles from Carlisle. Currently in Maine, in the Navy. So I am looking for a car in either area. I am not willing to run all over the country to look at driver cars, too many liars about their cars.

Drop me a line about the 66 BB.

John
Old 06-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Workin On 59
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In a strongly rising real estate market folks that viewed their homes as ATMs with bedrooms attached are now facing a different world. As realty prices drop as much as 30% annually in the formerly frothy markets the squeeze is on for the big leverage crowd.

If those folks bought toys, including old Corvettes, and are now in a liquidity crunch, prices at the margin will be affected. As others have mentioned the driver and questionable quality cars will drop the most. The truly rich that often own the best cars likely will be much less bothered by all this financial turmoil. The low/no debt hobbiest may actually benefit with more affordable driver cars available.

The price of gas to drive a hobby car occasionally, even weekly, during good weather is not much of a concern to most folks. Compared to putting gas in a boat, 16MPG or better in a Corvette looks fairly reasonable.

Enjoy your rides!

Last edited by Workin On 59; 06-09-2008 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typo

Get notified of new replies

To Is Corvette Mid Year Prices Dropping? Help Please.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:32 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,366 Likes on 2,789 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny 66
I disagree, there were plenty of people bidding, but the bidding stopped long before the reserves were met. This is due only to unrealistic expectations of the seller. When the bidding ends, that is what your car is worth, whether you want to believe it or not. Especially when the owners of New England Mike's and Pro Team are sitting in their reserved front row seats.

As for SleazBay, I keep getting e-mails from them that the same car is being relisted. (about 5 times now.) When will that idiot get a clue?

As for driver quality under 40K, let me know when you find one. I am looking for a '66, and havent found one yet under 50K.

The most recent one I looked at, a convertible in Mosport Green, was listed for 42K, and it was pathetic. That car wasnt worth 30k.

Again, if you find a decent '66 driver quality for under 40K, please e-mail me immediately.

John
I love to travel and go to auctions for fun, but if I were shopping for a '66 for my personal use, the auctions are the last places I'd plan on buying. The cars simply aren't necessarily all that good, and there's an awful lot of delusional sellers, along with a need for both sides to consider buyer/seller charges.

And while you may have an attitude about ebay or a particular car there, there is abolutely nothing wrong with buying a car from ebay as long as you follow established old car buying principles. Namely, don't buy a car that you personally have not examined, and follow the rest of the Corvette routine. There are no more sinister sellers on ebay than there are in every single other venue of people selling cars. I've had very good luck buying and selling there, but I look at the cars and deals as critically as I would any other purchase made anywhere.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:13 PM
jammovette
Pro

don't be afraid of ebay, I have purchases 4 corvettes in the last three years and three of them were on ebay. My best deal was about 1 1/2 years ago, 66 427 coupe with buy it now for $24,000. Was only up for auction a few hours. Freshly rebuilt motor, the rest needing resto. I just finished resto. Wife's car now and she drives it every day. Solid rust free Kansas car. I will be bidding an C-1's at Corvettes at Carlisle though.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:12 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 985 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny 66

John
J-Dogg, Don't give up. After pursuing a midyear coupe for over 3 years I was able to purchase a numbers matching nicely optioned '66 Coupe that has had a recent drivetrain and trailing arm rebuild for $39k. I looked at this car a year and a half ago and it was priced at $50k. It just took that long to agree on a price that the purchaser and the seller would be happy with. As a matta o'fact forum member Terry Fore has a '66 k/o, side exhaust, 4 speed coupe for sale under $40k. Check the Cars For Sale section of the Forum. They are still out there !
Ray

Last edited by rayvaflav; 06-09-2008 at 10:13 PM. Reason: cough drop wedged, nuff' said

Quick Reply: Is Corvette Mid Year Prices Dropping? Help Please.