C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Water pump/thermostat bypass

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 07:52 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 373 Likes on 184 Posts

Default Water pump/thermostat bypass

I noticed in a pic John Z provided that the original setup for my engine (L79) includes a cooling system bypass hose. It's my understanding this function should always be in place so that water continually circulates through the block before the thermostat opens. And if I remember correctly, some thermostats in later cars had a bypass hole in it allowing some circulation past the thermostat but it was my impression that was a very small hole and was more for bringing the heated water to the thermostat so that it responded correctly then any significant circulation through the block, but I could be wrong (often am).

I never gave it much thought before, but my car doesn't has a bypass. I'm using a later model reverse direction water pump (serpentine belt setup) and an Edelbrock manifold with only the heater hose fitting on the front. And since my car is A/C equipped, no water is normally flowing through the heater (A/C is usually on).

So I guess that until the thermostat opens, I have no circulation in the block? Is this something I should be concerned about? And how many others that have non-original manifolds and/or water pumps have this situation?
Old 10-01-2005, 07:57 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

if it makes you feel any better, the non-SHP C2s don't have the bypass, and about half the ebay SHPs I see have the by-pass by-passed, not to mention all the 44461 intakes on the 'bay with the by-pass hole permanentyly plugged with a pipe plug.

Does your intake have accomadation for the by-pass hose?
Old 10-01-2005, 09:42 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,188 Posts

When the thermostat is closed, flow to the radiator is blocked, so it recirculates back into the block through the bypass(es) This promotes quick and even warmup.

If you have no bypass circuit(s) flow is completely blocked, so the block will neither heat up quickly or evenly, and the pump will probably cavitate, which will erode the impeller.

Some engines are set up so that the bypass closes as the thermostat opens, but on vintage Chevrolet V-8s the bypass(es) remain open. As the thermostat opens more coolant will flow into the radiator (and less throught the bypass(es) due to increasing flow area.

These cooling systems work fine as built. I have never seen a need to re-engineer it.

Duke

Last edited by SWCDuke; 10-01-2005 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:48 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Originally Posted by ctjackster
if it makes you feel any better, the non-SHP C2s don't have the bypass, and about half the ebay SHPs I see have the by-pass by-passed, not to mention all the 44461 intakes on the 'bay with the by-pass hole permanentyly plugged with a pipe plug.

Does your intake have accomadation for the by-pass hose?
All OE coolant pumps/blocks have an internal bypass - the "third hole" in the pump and block. The heater circuit functions as a bypass on non C-48, C-60 cars. The external bypass on some SHP engines can mean up to three bypass circuits.

You DO NOT WANT a cooling system with no bypass at all. The bad effects are explained in my previous post.

Duke
Old 10-01-2005, 11:18 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Duke, do later reverse rotation pumps also have the internal bypass?
Old 10-02-2005, 01:33 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

GM reverse-rotation serpentine pumps have the bypass hole - don't know about aftermarket pumps.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:08 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
All OE coolant pumps/blocks have an internal bypass - the "third hole" in the pump and block. The heater circuit functions as a bypass on non C-48, C-60 cars. The external bypass on some SHP engines can mean up to three bypass circuits.

You DO NOT WANT a cooling system with no bypass at all. The bad effects are explained in my previous post.

Duke
yeah, the SHP bypass is redundant, that's why I was referring to the one SHP bypass that the original poster noticed was not present on his car, which many choose to live without without exploding
Old 10-02-2005, 02:30 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe
Duke, do later reverse rotation pumps also have the internal bypass?
I have no idea. You need to talk to whoever modified your cooling system.

Duke
Old 10-03-2005, 07:47 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JohnZ
GM reverse-rotation serpentine pumps have the bypass hole - don't know about aftermarket pumps.
Thanks John, that's what I have on there.

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
I have no idea. You need to talk to whoever modified your cooling system.
Well, that would be me!

Get notified of new replies

To Water pump/thermostat bypass

Quick Reply: Water pump/thermostat bypass