C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is this L88 real? Anyone know?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 09:42 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Default Let's open pandoras box. What are the 1967 L88 Vin numbers?

This seems to be a secret that only a few may possess. I have for years wrote them down when I have seen one of these claimed cars. I have a little list going. Everyone seems to always refer to some secret cheat sheet to cross reference. What are the VIN's. I know the King of Jordan got a white car and wrecked it. I heard that that car was ordered at the same time with another so two of these have consecutive vin numbers? I won't be one of the people to phony one up, I would just like to know. I do have a list that breaks down the rear end ratios for all 20 cars. I would like to know coupe or convertible and color combination. It would be really interesting. After as many years of people hoping that they find a missing car, I would bet what exists has been found. You either by now have one or you don't. Why the secret society!!!!!! Of experts. Big deal. I hear there are now 36 known 1967 L88 cars. **** some people off and share these numbers for people that would be interested, enthusiasts, thank you!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:01 PM
batmann
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the sellers feedback....
NEGATIVE - F.Sold car, No Posession, No Pink, No Car. After we won Sold car to someone else
Buyer hockit2me ( 201) Oct-10-05 18:12 4570779580

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4570779580
Old 10-13-2005, 10:33 AM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by batmann
NEGATIVE - F.Sold car, No Posession, No Pink, No Car. After we won Sold car to someone else

And not only that, you should see the lame negative feedback he gave to the disappointed buyer...something about the buyer owning **** stores thus he won't do business with him! What a crock!! The buyer has 4 times the number of feedbacks and all were positive until this guy comes along. I suspect more is going on behind the scenes over that transaction then we'll ever hear about.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:48 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

folks looking for rare and desireable '67s should stick to the real things, like this L89:

Dennis' L89 for sale
Old 10-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Birdball
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MosportGreen66
This came directly from the NCRS Forum. Thought this was very interesting.

"I also had a long talk with the owner of this car. He stated that it is NOT the original frame under the car that the old frame was totaled and he restamped an NOS frame. When I asked if he still had the old frame to verify the VIN he stated that he did not. He also stated that he put an entire front clip on this car. He has No paper work on the car - just wanted me to take his word on it. He also stated that it was a COPO car from Florida and sold in 68 to the 2nd owner who totaled it and pulled the engine for his boat. To many holes in his story for me. "
That is red flag #285 for this car... They didn't even have COPO cars in 1967 did they? I don't think that started until 1968 or 1969. That statement alone throw a big into the story for me.

again, don't get me wrong, it is an absolutely beautifull car, and probably worth $100K cause of the craftsmanship and neat extras like the big tank and L88 motor, BUT definately not a million dollar car. There is absolutely some serious shenanigans going on with the bidding.

that's all I got to say about that.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:05 PM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdball
That is red flag #285 for this car... They didn't even have COPO cars in 1967 did they? I don't think that started until 1968 or 1969. That statement alone throw a big into the story for me.

again, don't get me wrong, it is an absolutely beautifull car, and probably worth $100K cause of the craftsmanship and neat extras like the big tank and L88 motor, BUT definately not a million dollar car. There is absolutely some serious shenanigans going on with the bidding.

that's all I got to say about that.
GM only started with the COPO Cars in 1969.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:08 PM
racer85
Advanced

That is very suspicious. Look at the way the seller writes. The way he wrote "67 TANKER / 1of 1 L-88 427/560hp 36gal / HERE IT IS ! !" looks like he is unsure if normal script will have the desired effect with potential bidders. If there is a '67 L88 tanker, we would know, wouldnt we? Bold script wouldnt be neccessary.

And look at the Questions at the bottom of the page. He answers the payment question in all caps, and I am sure he copied the answer for the is-it-a-real-L88 question from the homepage of whoever those people are. That he didnt even consult the NCRS really seals the deal for me. I wouldnt touch that car if it were me. I have that feeling that its a fake, and a pretty good one at that.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,015 Likes on 4,819 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Birdball
. They didn't even have COPO cars in 1967 did they? I don't think that started until 1968 or 1969.
Having a COPO car does not mean you have a rare BB Carmro, all it could mean is you have non standard color combo or something small like that
Old 10-13-2005, 07:28 PM
Patrick67
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by batmann

Not that I care either way, but if you read the "fine print".... i.e. the "Terms of Sale" at the bottom of the '58 auction, it says "subject to prior sale by owner or dealer".

http://ebay.carad.com/viewItem/viewU...9736874&type=1
Old 10-13-2005, 08:16 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FXT
Not that I care either way, but if you read the "fine print".... i.e. the "Terms of Sale" at the bottom of the '58 auction, it says "subject to prior sale by owner or dealer".

http://ebay.carad.com/viewItem/viewU...9736874&type=1
You can put what you want in fine print, an auction that closes with a winning bidder represents a legal commitment for both buyer and seller.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:41 PM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe
You can put what you want in fine print, an auction that closes with a winning bidder represents a legal commitment for both buyer and seller.
I apologizes! My above statement saying that "GM only started with the COPO Cars in 1969." is false. There were around 50 1968 COPO Novas built. There where 4 1966 Corvette COPO's, because of the color combo's. Prier to 1966 Police Cars etc where known as COPO's. Just because they where mass produced and the Central Office placed the order for them... no performance/ color differences.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:41 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe
In reality, it's only a Moral commitment.

Is there truly a legal binding contract, signed and witnessed, from EBAY auctions?

Has there been a case where litigation proved the legal commitment?

And if it did, would any judgement be for more than the EBAY costs of running the "auction" ?
Old 10-13-2005, 08:55 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

You're asking questions I can't answer, but I can tell you that not fulfilling the terms of the auction is seriously frowned upon and I'm surprised this person is allowed to submit other items for auction.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:17 PM
jntdysf
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06

Check out the bid retractions at the bottom. A bidder entered the wrong amount at $1,000,000.

http://offer.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/...tem=4581027348

Last edited by jntdysf; 10-13-2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Patrick67
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Seaside63
In reality, it's only a Moral commitment.

Is there truly a legal binding contract, signed and witnessed, from EBAY auctions?

Has there been a case where litigation proved the legal commitment?

And if it did, would any judgement be for more than the EBAY costs of running the "auction" ?
I do agree that the seller was inconsiderate and a slug for not "ending this auction early because this item is no longer for sale". I think it is standard language to say it is a legally binding contract with the implication that it is subject to the "Terms of Sale" which was specifically spelled out when the auction first went up on eBay.

In any event, I don't think eBay will take any action against the seller. The winning bidders only recourse is to sue the seller, but I don't think that will happen. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:50 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

What I don't understand is why this guy selling the car shouldn't be prosecuted for fraud. It's obvious he's trying to rip someone off with a built car.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:17 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62
What I don't understand is why this guy selling the car shouldn't be prosecuted for fraud. It's obvious he's trying to rip someone off with a built car.
There are HUNDREDS of fake/clone/built-up/fraudulent and mis-represented cars listed every single day on eBay, and lots of people who don't do their homework get taken every day buying them; "buyer beware" is always the order of the day. It's a jungle out there

Get notified of new replies

To Is this L88 real? Anyone know?

Old 10-14-2005, 12:35 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
There are HUNDREDS of fake/clone/built-up/fraudulent and mis-represented cars listed every single day on eBay, and lots of people who don't do their homework get taken every day buying them; "buyer beware" is always the order of the day. It's a jungle out there
JohnZ, While its true that the buyer needs to take a "buyer beware" attitude in his search. I remember in my search for the 67 L71 that I currently have (and have had for about 10 years now) that documentation and contact with all the prior owners was a MUST before I bought. But, with these cars approaching the realm of rare art, there are significant legal penalties in the art world for misrepresenting the work of artists - and people go to jail if convicted as forgers. I think that what this guy is doing is a crime - a real honest to goodness lock 'em up behind bars crime - because if he gets his way - someone gets hurt.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:52 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

JohnZ, While its true that the buyer needs to take a "buyer beware" attitude in his search. I remember in my search for the 67 L71 that I currently have (and have had for about 10 years now) that documentation and contact with all the prior owners was a MUST before I bought. But, with these cars approaching the realm of rare art, there are significant legal penalties in the art world for misrepresenting the work of artists - and people go to jail if convicted as forgers. I think that what this guy is doing is a crime - a real honest to goodness lock 'em up behind bars crime - because if he gets his way - someone gets hurt.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:55 PM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Either market it is buyer beware. It is the buyer fault equally as much as it is the sellers. It the buyer is careless enough to pay this much for a car with out docs then they are the fool. If you buy a rolex off the street in NYC without knowing what a real rolex is, do not expect to own a real rolex. Buying this car off ebay sight un seen with no knowledge that it may really be a clone, do not be shocked when you find out that you were burned.
The difference in the art world is that if you do not have documentation you have a fake. It is really hard to campare cars to art or at least really Expensive art. Cars were mass produced to be used daily. There were enough spare parts to make a few clones, as can be seen daily on ebay. Weather it is a Shelby, a L88 or a Yenko Camaro. Expensive art are usually one offs, making originals really difficult to copy.

oWEN

Quick Reply: Is this L88 real? Anyone know?